Anybody Got A Similar Soundcard/mixer Setup Like Mine?

jwgeetar

Hello all again,(this is a long one folks)

Well I’ve had this audiophile2496 card a week tomorrow and it’s still not happy.
I’m pretty disappointed in midiman’s support tech’s. I’ve sent them 2 emails describing my issue’s and not one ounce of help –so far. I read here on this forum that they had great support, thus one reason I bought the card.

Will anybody out there tell me if this soundcard works for them? I will give it one more week and take it back, it’s to expensive to sit around sounding like crap. Here’s my dilemma:
1-I get major cracking and distortion on mp3 playback
2-when I try to record on n-track same thing but also pops and clicks.
3-ditto when I record on goldwave
4-when I try dubbing cassettes to my harddrive,same thing(using both n-track and goldwave

here’s my setup(for cassette dubbing)

1-i have a 8 channel Eurotrack mixer MX802A.
2-i out put a stereo.signal from the “contrl room out” of the mixer to the input of myAP2496.
3-then i output a stereo signal from my AP2496 soundcard to the stereo input of ch 8 on the mixer.
4-i hit record and it’s got a clean undistorted signal.
5-when I play it back I get loud distorted sounds very unpleasant in my h-phones or my spkers
6-i am using the 5.12.1.25 drivers for win2k.i tried the 5.12.1.9 but couldn’t even get a sound.
7-In my multimedia setting, I have 1/2 delta AP as my playback device
8-also, I have Multichannel AP as my recording device

HELP ANYBODY GOT A SIMILAR SOUNDCARD SETUP LIKE MINE?

Windows 2000 Pro
AMD 1.2 ghz processor
Abit KT7A-Raid mobo
Chipset-Via Apollo KT133A
300 watt P/S
256megs SDRAM PC133
Matrox 20 gig h-drive
3dfx voodoo3 vid card
GlobalWinCAK38- HS/Fan
Microsoft optical mouse
Linkysys 10/100 PCI adapter
Creative 56k Modem Blaster
Audiophile2496 Soundcard
Sanyo 32X CDROM
Buslink CDRW 12x8x32
15” moniter lizard

:confused:

this is REALLY werd.... but I actually HAVE had the same problem, wit a similar setup.

HOWEVER... I never resolved it.

Heres the story:

I USED to have a MIDIMAN DMAN 2044 (and their tech support was wonderful, btw) and I ran a Behringer mx802a.

It sounded like shit.. pops and weird shit... and I ELIMINATED the MIXER... and the problem disappeared. Try running straight in... see if it still happens. I had no probs w/ a mackie and a tascam mixer.

MAKES NO SENSE... but worked for me.

xoxo

I've got the Delta 44 and with some software I get clicks and pops but with others it sounds great. My uninformed guess would be that it might be a driver issue. Try an older driver version and see if that doesn't help.

Get the latest driver from the m-audio website. That should fix your problems. It fixed mine with the Delta 44.

I also seen someone post and say that your HD could be causeing the problem. They said getting the latest drivers for your ide controller should fix the problem.

thanks for the reply's

1-will try removing the mixer although i don't know what i'll use as a source or "preamp" for my mike & guitar.

2-i am using the latest drivers,as i listed

3-which driver is the older one?(for win2k)

4-latest drivers for my ide controller,hmmm haven't tried that---but will. thats refers to my mobo or hard-drive?

5-i also just got through recording on my win2k "sound recording"
program. except for the tape hiss,i had no pops,clicks, or distortion. all others still suck.

onward through the fog----

I don't know if this has any bearing on the problem, but the 'Control Room' outs of the board are meant to go to the monitors, they usually have a seperate volume knob (sometimes the headphone level knob) it is possible that if you have the headphone knob turned up loud that you may be sending a louder signal than the boards meters are telling you. The soundcard is normally connected to either the subgroup outs, channel direct outs or even main outs.

Hope this helps. :)

Don't use the boards meters for setting the level going into the computer. Use those meters for mic gain only and use the software meters either on the control panel or in your recording software.

ok,well it's been a few days and had to walk away from this thing for it is driving me nutz. i came back and tried all your suggestions that you kind people suggested plus:

1-the latest bios flash for my mobo which included the latest IDE controller driver.

2-i deleted any drivers in the registry that remotely looked like they were causing trouble.

3-i plugged my live powered mixer i use for gigs into the soundcard(main out & aux in). wow, the distortion was 3 times as loud.

4-i installed the latest directx 8.1.

5-i downloaded audicity(free editor) and the Vegas 2.0 demo. same thing. with these, i got pops/clicks when it was quiet and when it distorted, it had that god awful sound.

6- i noticed my distortion/noise comes and goes in cycles like a phase shifter. up and down. but when the distortion is there it stays until ya hit stop.

7_QUESTION,WOULD A SEPERATE HARD DRIVE WITH JUST THE RECORDING APPLICATION ON IT HELP? WOULD IT REALLY MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

HELP! i still have not got a response from midiman. very shitty support in my opinion.

i say dump the win 2000 for audio, if anything dual boot and dedicate a partition to 98 s.e. make sure rate locked and reset rate when idle are unchecked, set your latency to something high just for testing. side note i had some small pops with logic for a while then upped the voltage on my cpu and that fixed my problem. if you have a lot of devices running i suggest a good sized power supply, but the voltage tweak i discovered after a month of anger made me very happy. but for the most part 2000 and xp are not ready for audio and the makers of the programs have not put a lot of time into making their programs ready for 2000 and xp.. good luck.

Not a bios update. You need the latest via 4 in 1 driver.

The dvd drive was giving be alot of problems. Every time it cut in it would put loud pops and clicks in my audio. HD's can also do it. Once I updated the drivers no more problems.

The latest delta driver for win2k is the one that is also for xp.

Garak said:
Not a bios update. You need the latest via 4 in 1 driver.

The dvd drive was giving be alot of problems. Every time it cut in it would put loud pops and clicks in my audio. HD's can also do it. Once I updated the drivers no more problems.

The latest delta driver for win2k is the one that is also for xp.
didn't make myself clear garak,i meant 4 n 1 drivers and flashed. all my drivers are updated.there are no drivers for the hard-drive i checked,just the controller. it certainly is more than pops and clicks.

Ham On Rye said:
i say dump the win 2000 for audio, if anything dual boot and dedicate a partition to 98 s.e. make sure rate locked and reset rate when idle are unchecked, set your latency to something high just for testing. side note i had some small pops with logic for a while then upped the voltage on my cpu and that fixed my problem. if you have a lot of devices running i suggest a good sized power supply, but the voltage tweak i discovered after a month of anger made me very happy. but for the most part 2000 and xp are not ready for audio and the makers of the programs have not put a lot of time into making their programs ready for 2000 and xp.. good luck.
yes i definitely will dual boot next time i get a hard drive. there's too much shit on there now to wipe it totally out. i need another h-drive for that. BTW, i don't have 98se. just the original 98 and winME. I will try tweaking the voltage.

i am a big Unreal tournament player and i just got through playing. and as has been the case since i put this AP2496 card in,i can't hear the voice's to the point of un-intelligble,distorted garble. i mean,that's just the game---not even recording anything. it was clear for 15 minutes then garble the rest of the way.hmmmmm,WTF?

ok, i cranked my I/O voltage on the cpu from 3.30v to 3.60v. still get that nasty distortion. it only goes to 3.90v. i will try all the way next. but hey,how far should i push it? i emailed midiman people for the third time--still nothing---no help at all. man, i have tried almost all i can think of. any more suggestions?

nah dont mess with the i/o voltage, tweak the cpu voltage, either way be careful test, then check temps and repeat. just a notch at a time, im running my 1 gig athlon at 1.85 and the default is 1.75. either way it was just a thought since it helped me in a situation.. be careful yo.

this is the response from the midiman support staff. very helpful but it did not solve my problem. can anybody see something here that i didn't? i tried everything they suggested:

Hello
The Delta Cards ideally would like not to share IRQ's with any other
devices. It sounds like you may be having an IRQ conflict. Microsoft has
since rescinded the statement that there can be IRQ sharing under OS 2000.
If you have all your devices stacked on IRQ 9 or IRQ 11 this could present
a problem. Please reply with an IRQ list of devices. As well we have posted
a new driver v5.12.1.26 as of 2001-11-20. I have included some information
on how to spread the IRQ's in 2000.

Windows 2000,

This is a serious fix and can cause the OS to go south but its better than
formatting....

If you have all your devices on IRQ 9 or IRQ11 its because you are running
in ACPI mode.

You can change this but you do need to have your drivers ready for All your
hardware peripherals.

Go to "device manager" and double click on "computer" and right click on
what's listed under "computer" and then go to the "driver tab". Now click
on "update driver tab", hit "next" and click on "display a list etc" and
hit "next". Check "show all compatible devices" and select "standard pc
mode" and hit "next". You will be prompted to restart and all your
hardware devices will reinstall and your "device manager" will look pretty
much like a Windows 98 machine with all the Irq's spread.

Changing to Standard PC mode should do the trick, however, you most likely
need to reinstall all of your hardware in order to re-establish them on
separate IRQs.

It's surprising that you have no "PnP OS" setting in the BIOS. I've found
that it helps to turn this off, as well as setting "Resources Controlled
By" to "Manual." Some BIOS allow you to set the IRQ for each slot, and
I've found that it's best to set all of them, rather than leave some set
to "Auto." These settings are usually under a "PCI Configuration"
section, though the naming varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Nevertheless, it's good to start from scratch with your hardware. To do
so, make sure you go to the Device Manager (right-click Computer |
Properties | Hardware | Device Manager ). Highlight each device, then
choose "uninstall" from the Actions menu. If you can remove drivers also,
more power to you, but that most likely involves some serious hunt and
peck. Shut down your computer, and remove the hardware (expansion cards).

One by one, load in a device, power up, and install drivers. Check to
make sure that the device has take an acceptable IRQ. Some sharing is
most often no problem, but all devices on one IRQ definitely is,
especially an audio device sharing with hard disk controllers. If it
loads to 9 again, remove it from the Device Manager and try a different slot.

If your computer came with an onboard sound card, you might consider
disabling or removing it. They often take up two IRQs. Another thing to
consider, if you have many devices installed, is to disable a COM port
(for instance) in the BIOS to free up an IRQ.

I just went through this whole thing myself. I hope this helps..

My, my, my!

You don't have an onboard sound chip.
Plug & Play off or on shouldn't have any bearing.
I would have thought an IRQ issue would kill the
card completely.

I'm wondering if this card just has a bad chip or
bad contact at one the outputs.
Do you still have a soundblaster lying around you
can throw in for testing?

When a card starts screwing up Unreal or Quake, somebody
needs to bleed! :D

Good luck. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

thanks for the reply, no i can't stand soundblasters or anything to do with the creative crap.(many bad experience's). my old card was a phillips 702. i guess i can put it back in to see if there is a big change. but hey, i shouldn't have to do that with this "big time card"---right? onward thru the fog

running the output of a powered mixer to the card??? what are you trying to do... fry the card??

Logic uses ASIO drivers right?? well I have a Delta66 card and tried and tried forever to get it to work without pops and click in Nuendo which uses ASIO and I couldn't do it... so I went with a program that used the WDM or MME drivers... no pops or clicks...

I think there may be something wrong with M-Audio's ASIO drivers for Win2K... I have the same mobo as you...

if you updated to the latest 4in1 from ABIT's site, goto viahardware.com and download the real latest version which is version 4.35... http://www.viahardware.com/download/index.shtm#4in1

jwgeetar,

M-Audio has released another updated Delta driver v5.12.1.9 on the 27th...

looks like in the revision text there are a good number of ASIO driver fixes among some other good fixes for VIA chipsets & crackling, fatal errors, etc...

Back