Any thoughts on Thunderbird bass

I'm not a bass player, but I just set one of these up a week ago for a friend. Adjusted the action, and did the upgraded the input jack with improved solder joints. Common problem with most epiphone guitars/bass. Anyhow, thought the bass played rather well, and had a decent tone for Rock n Roll or metal. Nice midrange punch. Solid bass. Not outstanding, not garbage either.

But, the bass is rather awkward to play. Personally, it was not very comfortable and I felt like at times I was working far too hard to play. Strap buttons location probably have a major impact why I did not feel comfortable with the bass. Kinda awkward, could be altered rather easily. Most importantly, for the level of stock hardware, makes me question the $500 price tag. Sure, you could find a better new or used price, yet there are much better options in the price range. Considering that, if you can find it new for $350-375, go for it.

I don't know about the Epis, but the Gibson T-Bird is a fantastic rock and roll bass. Thick and punchy. If the Epi is half what the real Gibson is, it'll be a good bass.

But, the bass is rather awkward to play. Personally, it was not very comfortable and I felt like at times I was working far too hard to play. Strap buttons location probably have a major impact why I did not feel comfortable with the bass.

I have the Epi T-Bird IV bass.... and it's OK overall. I know the Classic IV Pro has some upgraded stuff, just not sure how different the two basses are to play and their tones.

It looks very cool, it can sound pretty good, but it doesn't play quite as nice as my late-'70s Ibanez Blazer bass, which is what I use most of the time.
The Epi is set up with round-wounds, while the Ibanez has flatwounds....and I prefer the flat-wounds, plus they are a heavier gauge than what I have on the Epi.
I use the Epi when I want more of that treble-pop sound, though it has dual pickups, so you can dial in all kinds of tones.
The Epi has a bit higher action, plus the it is somewhat awkward to handle compared to other bass guitars (it's a big ass bass, and it's neck heavy).....but it's not unmanageable. Probably if I played it more, it would become more comfortable, but I just love the Ibanez, so the Epi has had very little use since I've owned it.
Been thinking about selling it for awhile now, and getting some short-scale bass instead....that way I can have two bass flavors for my recording needs, since both the Ibanez and the Epi are big-ass long scale bass guitars....but then I kinda like the T-Bird just 'cuz it's so different from anything else.

Thanks I have been doing some reading and the classic has some upgrades as well as the Gibson pickups it runs $499 and hey say it is basically a Gibson in all but name. I was thinking someone on here may own one. Thanks again for the input

A friend of mine has a Gibson thunderbird bass and while it looks and sounds cool, it had a very fragile neck at the nut. It has broken in the same place a few times, although I would attribute the subsequent breaks to an improper repair job. But that long skinny neck with such a narrow width at the nut isn't the most stable design.

A friend of mine has a Gibson thunderbird bass and while it looks and sounds cool, it had a very fragile neck at the nut. It has broken in the same place a few times, although I would attribute the subsequent breaks to an improper repair job. But that long skinny neck with such a narrow width at the nut isn't the most stable design.

How did it break though? Was he just playing it and it snapped? Or did it fall over?

Back