Any other Reason 4.0 lovers in here?

tone_aot

Owner of ToneJonez.com
Man I absolutely love Reason 4.0! I have been playing piano for years so I have extensive hardware experience too. I started out on a yamaha board when I was young makin beats. Then I got Fruity Loops 3.4. I liked it alot, but hated clicking with the mouse. Made some hot stuff with that mouse tho! Then I got a midi controller to use with FL Studio, whole nother animal!!!!! I was beasting with that setup! Then I added a triton LE to the setup! After that started using other vsti's and dx like battery, kontakt, loads of soundfonts, etc. Was lovin that! Then I used a Triton Extreme and made tons of tracks with Software/Hardware combo. Then comes reason. I have customized the mess out of Reason! Tons of soundfonts, refills, etc. Plus, I create my own refills from things layin around the house and taking sounds from hardware I have. Reason 4.0 plus hardware and live instruments all together in Pro Tools has been the best setup I have ever used. Went to GC lately to try out some boards. I like some of the sounds, but I like the sequencer in Reason 4.0 waaaaay better. Not tryin to sell the software, lol, but I really like it! Anybody else feel like this?

P.S. Everything in my last post was made with this setup.

fam

I was a beta tester for reason 5 and record 1.5...
OMG it's the new crack hands down!!! 4.0 is like playing with a toy compared to what you can do in 5!

I don't think I can ever trully use 4 anymore now lol

yup Im thinking Ill love 5 when I get around to it...looks perfect for my laptop and finally some decent audio sampling

what did you make of Kong?

looks pretty impressive

I bought Reason 2.5 in 2004 because I liked the way the cables wiggled when I flipped the rack. I saw it demonstrated on an old TV show hosted by Leo Laporte called The Screen Savers.

When Reason arrived I had no idea what it was or how to use it. I skimmed the manual and slowly learned how to get what I wanted out of it. My music is simple and Reason is way deeper than me and my modest musical needs.

So the sands of time scoured the earth and one day an email appears. This email says Propellerhead has a new product called RECORD.

I sign up for beta testing.

I learn RECORD. In more than one situation I thought I could almost hear the math. The way the mixer blends the sounds is truly amazing to me.

But last night I was awestruck. I took my Neumann TLM103 microphones and recorded my snare drum, my bass drum, ride cymbal and crash cymbal in single hits as samples and saved them and loaded them into Redrum.

It is so cool to have my kit in the box. But the awe inspiring moment came when I added an M class compressor to the bass drum. My bass drum sounds bigger than the house. Too big in fact because the sound now includes a little bit of pedal and some resonance from the toms and probably some vibes from my truck out front of my house.

I will spend the rest of my life exploring the sounds of REASON.

Then the SSL mixer. I will spend the rest of my next life exploring it.

Reason + Record = audio perfection.

Can’t wait for Record 1.5 just to try Neptune

in a word...

amazing!!!! Kong is amazing!!! And you can sample from anywhere in any sampler now and move your dr rex slice point whenever you want even if there pre slicded!!!

reason 5 is a monster hands down and the effects are crazy. I might say holla to protools 8... It's that real for me right now :D

I recently started using Reason 4.0. I haven't even scratched the surface yet.
Between Reaper and Reason, I've easily got lots to learn about for the next year.

I learned reason before anything else, still my first choice for anything other than audio recording. I gave Record a quick try at a friends house and it's just amazing. It's like everything I learned in reason can be applied straight over to it, which is perfect as I know reason inside out. There's pretty much no learning curve and when I have the cash lying around, I'll almost definitely buy a copy. Reason owners get a discount too!

amazing!!!! Kong is amazing!!! And you can sample from anywhere in any sampler now and move your dr rex slice point whenever you want even if there pre slicded!!!

reason 5 is a monster hands down and the effects are crazy. I might say holla to protools 8... It's that real for me right now :D

yup I think Ill go with five, i cant and wont dump ableton...not with UAD cards and a fair few vsts...but everything looks right in 5 from what Im reading to be a great addition :)

Well Well. I've only used FL STUDIO 5 and 8, as for a beat production.

I once, a few years back, downloaded reason demo.

Had no idea what was going on.

AT all.

so I stopped and went back to fl studio.

Have yall ever used FL studio and how would you compare it to reason?

I'm thinking bout going back at reason and learning it this time

I'm sure I can get my answers here if I run into confusing :confused: situations like before where I had no where to turn to! :drunk:

reason is etup like my pro tools 8 rig

I have pro tools setup like a SSL console basically using all ssl plugins on all channels and mixing that way (which hands down makes me believe in audio production and the whole concept of mixing again). Reason 5 is setup with the exact same console strip so your getting an amazing sound for minus the waves bundle price :eek:

I'm going to find a nice way to de-ess in reason 5 and then pro tools and waves have a problem on there hands. But until then it's PT 8 all day and I will leave you with this advice: a great channel strip like the SSL bundle from waves is literaly 1 of 5 plugins you need to make great sounding music and god I wish someone told me I was using the waves de-esser wrong all these years... Bad soul :spank:

AT all.

I'm sure I can get my answers here if I run into confusing :confused: situations like before where I had no where to turn to! :drunk:

Definitely go back and try to figure it out. I use FL studio 8 but NEVER to make beats, when it comes to beats, it's all Reason. I use FL for tracking and anything that deals with audio clips, I like the weird way FL works compared to other DAWs but as far as midi is concerned Reason takes the cake. They are really two totally different programs though, kinda like comparing apples and oranges.

I was a beta tester for reason 5 and record 1.5...
OMG it's the new crack hands down!!! 4.0 is like playing with a toy compared to what you can do in 5!

I don't think I can ever trully use 4 anymore now lol

Man I didn't know there was Reason 5 comin till you said somethin! I checked out the vids, definetely looks serious! I want it just for the sampling capabilities alone!!!! I'm so hooked on 4 tho! Please tell me they left some stuff from 4, look the regrove mixer and such. I love using offset, and moderate swing from time to time.

I have pro tools setup like a SSL console basically using all ssl plugins on all channels and mixing that way (which hands down makes me believe in audio production and the whole concept of mixing again). Reason 5 is setup with the exact same console strip so your getting an amazing sound for minus the waves bundle price :eek:

I'm going to find a nice way to de-ess in reason 5 and then pro tools and waves have a problem on there hands. But until then it's PT 8 all day and I will leave you with this advice: a great channel strip like the SSL bundle from waves is literaly 1 of 5 plugins you need to make great sounding music and god I wish someone told me I was using the waves de-esser wrong all these years... Bad soul :spank:

SSL plugins are the truth! I use them extensively.

AT all.

It's kinda hard to compare the two since they are setup different. You can make a HOTTT beat in either one, but which one depends on how you like to work. I was on FL Studio for YEARS making hot beats! Most of the stuff I posted when I first joined homerec was stuff made on FL. But I like reason better because I started on hardware and it just reminds me more of how keyboards are setup, if that makes sense. I could still make a hot beat in FL any day tho.

Is there a way to rewire FL STUDIO - REASON- ADOBE AUDITION 3 all together?

Not sure how to do that one. I use adobe audition only for wav editing so I'm not sure. I do know that in protools you can tho. I've had fl studio, reason, other software synths, and all my hardware wired up in protools at the same time.

///////////////

What are you kidding... come on now Ill your going to put down PT for Reason 5 and record 1.5? I've been looking at the demos on the propellerhead website and I've tested record 1 and I'm not impressed with record. It lacks the ability to use midi devices and the effects are lacking. Unless you have alot of time on your hands to build record combi's... which I don't I will stay with PT as my production solution and use reason 5 as the synth rack it was designed as... Propellerhead is close... don't get me wrong.. this version refresh does add some functionality that was lacking in previous versions, but PT hands down for production is still better and you know how much I hate PT. :o)

well im going to take the reason 5 plunge today i think......I want something self contained on my viao and it fits the bill....even bought a Reason book yesterday in anticipation :)

Kong looks great and Thors a cool addition, it'll mostly be rewired on my main PC...but anything that provokes a few ideas is a good thing!

Ive never got the bug to get Record, I have several UAD cards and plugins and there's no way Im dumping them for Propellerheads built in effects, I also own the POD stuff and its my last go to if I want to record guitars...not to say that I wouldnt stick it on the viao too...if I had the extra$$, I like the self contained idea for something like a laptop

Back