Any ModTrap users?

Cool...I've never see those. I can see some uses for them...they seem a little expensive though for what you're getting.

Frank

Cool...I've never see those. I can see some uses for them...they seem a little expensive though for what you're getting.

Frank

The way I see it your paying for the mounting unit and the labor. If I thought I could build a comparable mount myself I would. Much more affordable than the other portable solutions...

I've been looking into one of these myself. I really like the real traps stuff but his unit is about $300. I went out today and bough a shadow box frame, some mounting brackets and some metal to make a frame. I'll take pics and post them as soon as I can get to this project. BTW I'll be using 703 to fill the box.

The Mod Traps caught my eye as well. Yes they're expensive, but they also look like an elegant and convenient solution for something portable. Kind of like the SE Reflexion filter, which I do have. I would be interested in hearing from some actual users of these things as well.

I've been looking into one of these myself. I really like the real traps stuff but his unit is about $300. I went out today and bough a shadow box frame, some mounting brackets and some metal to make a frame. I'll take pics and post them as soon as I can get to this project. BTW I'll be using 703 to fill the box.

I've thought about doing something like this as well, are you planning on mounting it on a stand or to a wall? I really want something stand mountable...

I finished up my project. I got it to be mounted on a mic stand. It could use an upgrade or two but not bad. As a matter of fact I'm loading the pics into my computer as I write this. I'll get the pics to the correct size to post and I'll put the whole project in the DIY section.
Tom

Hey folks, i have a pair of the smaller 16x24 modtraps. I had Zack at Modtrap make me a custom pair when he was just getting this product going a couple years ago. I wanted something with extra isolation for use as a portable vocal booth (similar to the RealTraps PVB) and he had inserted a layer of mass loaded vinyl right down the middle of the rigid fiberglass. He also added a plastic frame around the outside to hold the 3 pieces in place. The mass loaded vinyl made it a little thicker and some extra glue was needed to keep the frame holding it all together, but in the end it worked out wonderfully.

I use them for all kinds of stuff, tightening up drums, killing reflections in a small room when using figure 8 ribbon mics, and if i have to mix in a different location than my own, i always try to bring my Genelec 8030a's and the mod traps with me.
Most recently i used them to record a vocalist who wasn't very comfortable with headphones and the vocal booth. So we put her in the control room and she used the nearfield monitors. The Modtraps were used to isolate the mic from the monitors.

I have found that, although mic stands do work well. You can usually find boom cymbal stands which are much heavier duty and typically less expensive. Double braced cymbal boom stands typically go for around $30/each at pawn shops and allow you to telescope the traps even higher and still retaining stability. Plus you get that extra tiny boom on the end which is handy for creating an absorptive ceiling of sorts. I would say that if you are considering the larger model modtraps, heavier duty cymbal stands or at least mic stands with a 15-20lb. base would be an absolute must for stability. If you need even more stability, go to your local sporting goods store and pick up a pair of wrap around ankle weights to put on the base of the stand.

You can see mine in action here:
Drums, killing ceiling reflections: http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/pho...074991&Signature=pOd9erUAp44f6qjqh3+DswKXZW4=
Mixing, in a temporary location: http://www.adamjaymusic.com/old/priv/Project2.jpg

I highly recommend them, Zack has great customer service, and i never run out of uses.

Back