Any 2488 Users??

using a monitor wont make it any easier to navigate the infamous Roland Learning Maze!

Sure, Roland gear often has great sound, but when it comes to convoluted architecture and non-intuitive designs, Roland is king! Roland designs are to music as IBM code is to computers. If you want to discourage a newbie from getting into music, buy him a Roland!

I've seen hardened veteran engineers struggle for weeks to learn a Roland board, while a rookie with a 2488 had a decent demo done in a day.

I just wish everybody would stop calling my 2488 a "porta-studio". Sounds alot like portapotty. besides, it's really NOT a porta studio. Though it may be somewhat "portable," it's strongly advised NOT to keep moving it around. IMO it's really not travel worthy. It's hard enough keeping the paint on it just sitting in my livingroom studio. I can imagine halling it from gig to gig. The poor thing wouldn't last outside of 3 months.

So, please call it a 24 tracker, digital recorder, deck or anything else but "Porta-potty" I mean, er, porta-studio.

Hey, I like my 2488 porta-potty....errr, Porta-Studio! :D

But you're right about their portability. I wouldn't drag one around town any more than I would a desktop computer.

Boy! You can say all that again.

soundchaser59 said:
using a monitor wont make it any easier to navigate the infamous Roland Learning Maze!

Sure, Roland gear often has great sound, but when it comes to convoluted architecture and non-intuitive designs, Roland is king! Roland designs are to music as IBM code is to computers. If you want to discourage a newbie from getting into music, buy him a Roland!

I've seen hardened veteran engineers struggle for weeks to learn a Roland board, while a rookie with a 2488 had a decent demo done in a day.

Boy! You can say all that again. I couldn't agree more! HEAR THAT ROLAND? :eek:

You think Roland's bad? What about M-Audio and MIDI controllers? Makes me wonder who they're designing this stuff for. All these music tech companies are competing against eachother for our business. However, in their efforts to give us "more bang for the buck", they fail to make the technology user friendly.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. My Tascam 2488 was a god send compared to waht I was using before; TSR-8, M-3516, MTS-30 (syncronizer), and all the outboard gear W/all the cabling etc..etc...etc.....I guess I managed to save about 4to5 hundred sq. feet of realestate in my home livingroom studio. There's now room for another couch, a table and a chair. :D

Back