another one about(gasp!) FOAM

theD1CKENS

*insert clever title here
is good for ANYTHING?

basically, several panels were given to me, and I was hoping it would be good for SOMETHING in the music room.

What kind of foam? How thick? What shape? What size? And where did you hear foam isn't any good (you seem to be implying that here)? I'm reading Rod Gervais's book and according to him accoustic foam has its uses. I just put some in my basement to supplement my bass traps and the difference was audible.

I don't know anything about it, other than it looks like those things you put on your mattress, it's purple, and I got 6 or so panels that are (roughly) 1.5'x2'.

...and didn't mean to imply anything. It just seems that every time some one mentions foam, it gets a less than stellar response, so I assumed it wasn't very useful.

maybe in the rehearsal space to control echoes/feedback...or something?

IF you have proper bass trapping, then foam can be used to cut down on flutter and what not. I use a few pieces around my drum kit to tame some of the highs from cymbals.

Drew

Ah. It needs to be accoustic foam - something or other about the way the bubbles are formed. Egg crate bedding isn't going to do much, if anything at all, for you.

My rooms have a weird high ringy sound so I did get some boxes of Auralex foam, Along with some rigid fibergalss bass traps (those are burgundy so they match the curtains). I like the idea someone did here of gluing the foam to pieces of peg board and then hanging them. If you ever want to sell the place the new buyer won't be put off by foam glued to the walls, and you can take them with you to the new place.

I'm pretty sure it's accoustic foam. it feels a good bit more dense than bedding.

...but then again, I haven't made any bass traps yet, so maybe I'll just add some more cushioning to my recliner.

I haven't made any bass traps yet ...

This is key. The broadband and bass traps will be the fundamental acoustic treatment. If, after installing these, your readings tell you that you have specific frequency problems that need (further) treatment, then foam has its place in helping.

it does NOT have to be "acoustic" foam. acoustic foam is dense foam. period. it's not like speaker grillcloth that has to be as transparent as possible due to having real holes through it... in fact it's the opposite with foam. you want no real holes through it - so good ol' regular foam is fine, the thicker the better though.

1" thick won't do much if anything (really subtle and in high frequencies only).

but start getting into 2" foam and you have something useful right down into the midrange area. easy to tell if it does anything - put on some music on a speaker, put foam in front, listen to difference. and when put on a wall it works twice as well as that since the sound travels through on way to wall then through again after reflecting off the wall.

...which is why room treatment is twice as good as treating the sound INSIDE the room (travels through two times...) compared to how well it works as sound proofing between the inside of the room and the next room (only travels through one time).

anyway, go for it. the sound you dislike in your room will be much improved with the foam you got. nothign nearly as good as good corning 703 panels, but WAY better than not having anything on your walls :-)

cheers
Don

after thinking about it, and a little more research on it, I decided to use the panels in the practice/recording space on the walls(the singer is in a corner) directly behind the vocal mic. we've been having trouble maintaining clarity and volume on the vocals while battling feedback. the foam seems to have helped a good bit, actually.

when we record, we're not using condensors so the room isn't much of an issue yet. we're just doing scratch tracks to a click for the drummer. I feel like I need more experience recording drums(with OH condensors) before investing in bass traps. I just moved and haven't gotten familiar with the room yet. I'm of the mindset that I'll deal with problems as they arise, and bass traps don't fix any of my current issues.

it does NOT have to be "acoustic" foam. acoustic foam is dense foam. period. it's not like speaker grillcloth that has to be as transparent as possible due to having real holes through it...

Seriously man? You can't give false information like this. Don't give advice before knowing the facts. It's just not cool.

All foam is NOT the same. Period-no comebacks! lol! Good quality 'acoustic' foam can be beneficial to helping with small reflection issues. 'Dense' foam is exactly the wrong type of foam to use. It will only reflect the high frequencies you are trying to absorb. Throw up some styrofoam for some really good results!! Just kidding...

For the cost, the 703 or rock wool panels are by far the first choice. Foam (not any cheap ass crap you find at the thrift store or on your grandmas mattress) can attenuate some issues after treating the big (low end) issues. Analyze your room after treating the corners and first reflection points. Then decide where to place the pretty foam thingy's.

I'm of the mindset that I'll deal with problems as they arise

The thing is, you already have those problems. Dont think of them as fixing your tracking issues, its mainly for mixing. Without proper acoustic treatment, your room is lying to you, and your mixes will translate as such.

bass traps don't fix any of my current issues.

Proper bass trapping will fix most all of your issues. Reflections, bass problems, you name it. Trust me, I also tried beating around the bush with treatment. Only recently did I bite the bullet and spend the money. Its well worth it though.

Drew

Oh... and not any kind of foam will work. So don't go up to wally world and buy a bunch of egg carton mattress padding, as it will do even less than acoustic foam.

The thing is, you already have those problems. Dont think of them as fixing your tracking issues, its mainly for mixing. Without proper acoustic treatment, your room is lying to you, and your mixes will translate as such.

Proper bass trapping will fix most all of your issues. Reflections, bass problems, you name it. Trust me, I also tried beating around the bush with treatment. Only recently did I bite the bullet and spend the money. Its well worth it though.

Drew

Oh... and not any kind of foam will work. So don't go up to wally world and buy a bunch of egg carton mattress padding, as it will do even less than acoustic foam.

I didn't mean that the bass issues aren't there. I'm sure they are, but I don't hear them yet. to a more experienced ear, they're probably all over the place, to me...not so much. I'm going to get the bass issues taken care of as soon as they become apparent to me, but money is tight, I'm still learning, and the only OBVIOUS problem I heard was feedback during band practice.

and I've made my fair share of mistakes with egg crates.:D
NEVER AGAIN!!!

Feedback occurs when the output of a device is cycled right back to the input of the same device. Guitar pickups, microphones, these are common culprits.

When its vocal microphones, you have to pay attention to which direction the mics and the monitors are aimed. You want monitors at the sides or behind the microphone. You don't want a singer with monitors aiming INTO the mics. The only thing a vocal mic should be aimed at, is a singer's voice. I've seen setups with the monitors directly behind the singer's head, and as soon as he leans out of the way, that mic is aimed right at the monitor.

Its not only the mic aimed at the monitors. Its also the direct reflections of monitors bouncing into the mic from the walls. Look at your monitors and which way they're aimed, and look at what surfaces can be mirroring the sound into the mic. Treat those surfaces with some absorbers, and try to convince your vocalist to aim or position the mic elsewhere.

By the way, don't listen to anything I ever say. I'm just the bass player. Heh.

I didn't mean that the bass issues aren't there. I'm sure they are, but I don't hear them yet. ... I'm going to get the bass issues taken care of as soon as they become apparent to me ... I'm still learning

Whether you hear it or not, your recordings will be including them. That will make them harder to mix, the bass will eat up the headroom, forcing you to make the final mix level lower than other recordings. Your recordings will not translate as well to other listening environments - in cars, on iPods, domestic hi-fi, etc.

You're still learning. That is great. Take your time to study the acoustics forums here, at gearslutz and John Sayers and learn enough to be able to treat your room.

Whether you hear it or not, your recordings will be including them. That will make them harder to mix, the bass will eat up the headroom, forcing you to make the final mix level lower than other recordings. Your recordings will not translate as well to other listening environments - in cars, on iPods, domestic hi-fi, etc.

You're still learning. That is great. Take your time to study the acoustics forums here, at gearslutz and John Sayers and learn enough to be able to treat your room.

My name is Jimmy, and I endorse the previous message. :D

Back