Another Megadeth cover

CrankyOne

Yeah, I made another Megadeth cover, like it says in the title of this... thread. I sung the vocals on the summer, since I had plenty of time back then. Now I can't find the time to sing, and it just sucks. Still, the vocals are the weak point of the song for me, but maybe you can find other weak stuff too. I think some of the solos are not loud enough or something... just a thought. What do you think?

(and really, I'm a dirtbag asshole for not commenting on other people's tunes lately. My excuse is my lack of time nowadays... The school and all that shit...)

Here's the song:

pretty hairy! you did this song justice.. this is from my second favorite megadeth album.. (I'm not into the later stuff)

the mix sounds great except for 2 things.. There are a few plosives on some of the vocal parts, I'm not sure if you used a pop screen.. and the other problem is the snare gets completely lost at times.. Listen to when it first kicks in @55, you can barely hear the snare at all.. I would bring up the bass drum and especially the snare.. the cymbals are at a good volume and the toms sound great, but the snare drum is MIA, and the bass drum could be louder..

other than that, it's excellent! It took a few spins getting used to your accent, but it grew on me! :D I can't imagine someone doing the music for this song any better.. very crisp sound.. almost gets too crisp at times, but not really..

bottom line, ass kickin'! keep em coming..

OOOWW!! Outstanding. You definately have a few plosives on the vocal in there. But holy cow, very powerful mix. What are the drums?

Crrrrrrrranky,...........
Blistering man. Very nice and tight riffage. Im not familiar with the original, but this is very nice. Great recording. I know youve explained your drums a thousand times before, but if you wouldnt mind...... one more for me and Track Rat. Those are great samples for this stuff.

The guits sound great, as does their playing. ......but thats nothing new.

.....yeah, a few plosives....... but otherwise, i cant find nothing to bitch about.......

Great stuff man!!!

G w/5

Holy Shit!!

I don't even dig on MD but, I love this!

I thought the vox could be fuller, as in more balls in the mix, but other than that You Rock. My subdued Thursday evening at home has gained a new energy. Thanks.

Theron.

B.SABBATH said:
pretty hairy! you did this song justice.. this is from my second favorite megadeth album.. (I'm not into the later stuff)

the mix sounds great except for 2 things.. There are a few plosives on some of the vocal parts, I'm not sure if you used a pop screen.. and the other problem is the snare gets completely lost at times.. Listen to when it first kicks in @55, you can barely hear the snare at all.. I would bring up the bass drum and especially the snare.. the cymbals are at a good volume and the toms sound great, but the snare drum is MIA, and the bass drum could be louder..

other than that, it's excellent! It took a few spins getting used to your accent, but it grew on me! :D I can't imagine someone doing the music for this song any better.. very crisp sound.. almost gets too crisp at times, but not really..

bottom line, ass kickin'! keep em coming..

Damn, I can hear the "missing" snares here and there now... I should definitely get back to mixing the drums as separate tracks rather than doing them all on one stereo track. And the plosives... :D nice word, I didn't even know what to call it, but thanks to you guys I do. Don't have a pop screen. Well, I made one myself from some old sock or something :D I don't remember if I used it on this, though. I remember singing these at the summer... And my accent is what I don't hear but everybody else does and I can't do a damn thing about it :D Oh well... Still, thanks for the kind words.

Track Rat said:
OOOWW!! Outstanding. You definately have a few plosives on the vocal in there. But holy cow, very powerful mix. What are the drums?

Guernica said:
Crrrrrrrranky,...........
Blistering man. Very nice and tight riffage. Im not familiar with the original, but this is very nice. Great recording. I know youve explained your drums a thousand times before, but if you wouldnt mind...... one more for me and Track Rat. Those are great samples for this stuff.

The guits sound great, as does their playing. ......but thats nothing new.

.....yeah, a few plosives....... but otherwise, i cant find nothing to bitch about.......

Great stuff man!!!

G w/5
[/QUOTE

First of all thanks about the compliments. And then a few words about the drums. I use Cakewalk Sonar to lay out the drum track. It's a midi drum track, and the sounds come from my own soundfont (which is a collection of sounds) that I've made by stealing free sounds from the internet and modifying to my needs. I'm using some compression and an EQ on the drum track. All the drums were on one stereo track, so when I used compression and EQ, it applied to ALL drums. It has its ups and downs. The obvious downside to it is that if I wanted to add some particular frequencies to the snare drum only, I can't do it without adding that frequency to everything else. The upside seems to be that when I do compression to the whole drum track, it kinda sounds more real to me. I'm not sure, but that's what I'm hearing... But I dunno. I'll try another approach on my next song.

theron said:
Holy Shit!!

I don't even dig on MD but, I love this!

I thought the vox could be fuller, as in more balls in the mix, but other than that You Rock. My subdued Thursday evening at home has gained a new energy. Thanks.

Theron.

Yeah, the vocal could and should be fuller and better overall, but I'm not that good on mixing the vocals, let alone performing them. But thanks anyway.

M.Brane said:
Dave would be proud. Isn't he Finnish as well?

Hmm... I believe he IS, partly at least :D

B.SABBATH said:
yo Crankij, what sort of mastering software are you using?

Well, after the mixdown with Cakewalk Sonar, I do some hard limiting with Cool Edit and cut out all the silence from begin and end... I'm not sure if that's what you'd call mastering. Hell, I don't know exactly what mastering is... but anyway.

CrankyOne said:
I should definitely get back to mixing the drums as separate tracks rather than doing them all on one stereo track.

I'm downloading the tune...while that's happening I wanted to say, that i have been lazy that way a few times as well, and it bites me on the ass every fucking time. :( ;) :D

Oh very nice...I used to hear this tune quite a bit! Man this is one hell of a cover! Instruments sound fantastic. Guitars sound very very crisp.
OK Vocals came in...sounds great...I think the plosives have been mentioned...and I think it's kind of a dry track for a Mustaine cover...could use some juice. Otherwise very tight!

Very impressive attention to detail, CO. Nice work!

Well.. I'll differ a bit from the worship that's been going on here..

First off.. You handle the rythm-guitars VERY well, tho they are too dry.. The leads are.. well.. I can't expect ANYONE on this board to copy the weird shit Marty Friedman plays, but the leads aren't up to pair with the original song so to say..

Drums sound canned all the way.. I can't really understand all the possitive feedback you got.

Vocals... well it sounds very Finnish (a swede shurely knows), but you do a good job with your "Mustaine"-routine.

Sorry if I'm being an asshole, but there's a lot to work with here. I don't think I'd do this better than you do.

scaaaary!!

Very nice... speed metal... is that synth bass in the orig.? Tight mix.... the only Megadeth song that sticks in my head has been "Symphony of Destruction," but this one will for a while... after a few more listens.

You have a nice vocal style... not like Mustaine at all... but very dynamic anyway.

Excellent performance, too. I love the almost prog-rock feel to the song... keep Crankin 'em out, Crank! :D

Chad

Track Rat said:

This reduced the comment to my song to worth-nothing...

I'll regret this tomorrow, but now I'm drunk, and I wont miss out on some good ol' hard-to-face-honesty..

Meshuggah said:
Well.. I'll differ a bit from the worship that's been going on here..

First off.. You handle the rythm-guitars VERY well, tho they are too dry.. The leads are.. well.. I can't expect ANYONE on this board to copy the weird shit Marty Friedman plays, but the leads aren't up to pair with the original song so to say..

Drums sound canned all the way.. I can't really understand all the possitive feedback you got.

Vocals... well it sounds very Finnish (a swede shurely knows), but you do a good job with your "Mustaine"-routine.

Sorry if I'm being an asshole, but there's a lot to work with here. I don't think I'd do this better than you do.

Hey, no problem! I know the solos ain't that good and there's something wrong with the drums too. You're really not being an asshole. I can understand your comments, really. Of course, you're a swede, so it's a given :D (j/k).
By the way, what the hell is that smurf sucking on ?!

SLuiCe said:
I reckon that to be a proper pair of Swedish breasts, Cranky ol' boy...

:D yeah, maybe. They look like beehives to me. Well, those smurfs are perverts, so I really wouldn't know.

That's a really fun song to listen to.

Sounds really heavy, and pretty well recorded. The only thing I don't like is the popping of the p's. Geez, that has TONS of ENERGY! This is really exciting music that gives me a rush! Yeah, that's pretty darn good!!!

dAAAAAMMNNN!

Ok ok ok, how did you get those kick ass drums?

I know you stated that you used Cakewalk Sonar with a midi file and soundfonts but how does all that work?

I have a SR 16 a D4 a Keyboard with midi outs and Midi this and midi that and This is hooked Up TO tHat and ThIs conTrols thaT.

But I can't even come close to drums like that. What am I missing?

Re: dAAAAAMMNNN!

scottboyher said:
Ok ok ok, how did you get those kick ass drums?

I know you stated that you used Cakewalk Sonar with a midi file and soundfonts but how does all that work?

I have a SR 16 a D4 a Keyboard with midi outs and Midi this and midi that and This is hooked Up TO tHat and ThIs conTrols thaT.

But I can't even come close to drums like that. What am I missing?

Well, I guess it's all about the right drum samples, and using some compression and EQ. I'm not sure myself, since I change my tastes constantly on how I want to mix the drums. The explanation of making drum tracks is pretty hard. I've explained it from time to time, but I don't know if it makes any sense.. :D

I think your cover is pretty decent. Almost impossible to cover it exactly, and narrowing things even more starts to get harder and harder at this point, for sure. Like..the last 5% takes 105% of the time, kinda equation...

you're getting good sounds and all...and I think doing these covers is great for the recording and playing chops. Hopefully in the near future, YOUR stuff will kick the covers to shame... I think you have come close with some of your original stuff, but you seem to excel in the covers. (excel in the covers.... sounds kinda kinky..eh?!)

great job

Back