an old song finally finished, but...

Nicole_Rose

Great White North Girl
the drums sound a bit uhm, "plastic" maybe? at least the snare. i think i messed with them too much. my question is, are they bad enough that i should go back and remix the drums from the beginning so that they sound as much better as i can make them or will they suffice and i should use what i have learned from that mistake on the next song? this is for an album that will be released on nov 20 of this year hopefully. :)

here is the link. i was made for You

The drums are not the worst I've ever heard. You can try to re track and compair the two and see what fits the best. I think the fx on the vox was a little heavy. I don't know if that was intentional or not tho.

The drums are not the worst I've ever heard. You can try to re track and compair the two and see what fits the best. I think the fx on the vox was a little heavy. I don't know if that was intentional or not tho.

thanks. i have a bit of an issue with reverb. i either don't hear it or it's drowning in it lol. and i won't be retracking the drums, but i will simply go back to the original tracks which if i remember correctly don't sound nearly as bad. i messed with the sound of the drums a lot and when my ears weren't fresh, so by the time i realized i'd messed up, they were already incorporated into the song and i wasn't sure what i should do, so i did nothing. but i will if you people think it needs to be done.

From what I heard on your track, and with my somewhat limited experience working with mixing drums, I reckon you might be able to squeeze a bit more life out of what you have, but if you want a night/day improvement you'll need to retrack. I think that if you really "nail" the drums in a recording, they almost mix themselves and relatively little "tinkering" in the mix is necessary. Easier said than done, of course.

I guess it comes down to what you're after. The drums you have do the job if you're happy just getting the musical point of your song across. If you're looking for that big radio-ready sound, you might need something else. I'm sure some of the more experienced drum guys will chime in and give you a more informed opinion.

As for the rest of the mix, I agree with whoever said the vox might be a tad on the wet side for this song (not much, though).

The major nit I had with the song was actually the bass. It sounded a bit monotonous. Don't get me wrong, I fully understand that there is nothing wrong with simplicity in rock n' roll, but I would have liked to hear a bit more movement in the playing.

Cheers
Matt

From what I heard on your track, and with my somewhat limited experience working with mixing drums, I reckon you might be able to squeeze a bit more life out of what you have, but if you want a night/day improvement you'll need to retrack. I think that if you really "nail" the drums in a recording, they almost mix themselves and relatively little "tinkering" in the mix is necessary. Easier said than done, of course.

I guess it comes down to what you're after. The drums you have do the job if you're happy just getting the musical point of your song across. If you're looking for that big radio-ready sound, you might need something else. I'm sure some of the more experienced drum guys will chime in and give you a more informed opinion.

As for the rest of the mix, I agree with whoever said the vox might be a tad on the wet side for this song (not much, though).

The major nit I had with the song was actually the bass. It sounded a bit monotonous. Don't get me wrong, I fully understand that there is nothing wrong with simplicity in rock n' roll, but I would have liked to hear a bit more movement in the playing.

Cheers
Matt

i was not after a night and day shift in the drums. the drum track is what it is. it's not perfect and it has an issue here and there, but what i was after was the actual sound of the drums. the thing is when i first mixed them i played with the eq with not fresh ears and fiddled with it too much to put it simply. i've done a remix already, i reduced the wetness and i fixed the drum sound. not the drum track, but the sound. it is less plastic and sounds much more like real drums now. as for the bass, it has to be simple because of so much else goign on that is not simple. there just isn't room in the song for anything but a simple bass. i wouldn't even have put it in except the song needs the lower register.

thanks to both of you for your input. i will be listening to the new mix tomorrow with fresh ears and i'll see what i think of it then. :)

i was not after a night and day shift in the drums. the drum track is what it is. it's not perfect and it has an issue here and there, but what i was after was the actual sound of the drums.

Just to clarify, this is exactly what I meant in my post: the sound and general mix of the drum track, not the performance.

From personal experience, I have spent hours and hours trying to tweak, massage, fiddle, and mangle drums to get that sound I hear in my head, but what I've learned through it all is that if the sound you get with the raw tracks isn't damn close to what you want right off the bat, then the best course of action is definitely to re-track if possible.

Best of luck
Matt

Just to clarify, this is exactly what I meant in my post: the sound and general mix of the drum track, not the performance.

From personal experience, I have spent hours and hours trying to tweak, massage, fiddle, and mangle drums to get that sound I hear in my head, but what I've learned through it all is that if the sound you get with the raw tracks isn't damn close to what you want right off the bat, then the best course of action is definitely to re-track if possible.

Best of luck
Matt

it is not me doing the tracking for the drums, so i have no idea what the problem is or how to fix it. but i have made them sound better. and that is what i was after. i am not liking the mix i did though, vox are too loud, drums aren't loud enough except for the beginning and the last crunchy guitar at the end is overpowering. i will have to listen with fresh ears in the morning.

my biggest issue with the sound of hte drums (after i started with the unaltered tracks) was hte sound of hte snare. it's not deep enough. it sounds pretty snappy which i like, but it sounds a bit uhm, like a toy. i fixed that as much as possible and i'm pretty happy with the sound for what it started as and for what it could be. but i have a really nice set of drums available and the snare is just awesome. it's a 6 or 7" deep pearl. it sounds great. unfortunately i can't play them lolol. so my drummer does his own tracking in the netherlands. he's a good drummer even if the sound on these tracks isn't the greatest. i will have to make do. :)

well i did yet another mix tonight which i will post tomorrow after having a listen. the drums didn't sound near as bad as they did in the first mix. i think i really messed with them too much when i did the first mix. adn i found out the compression i was using is garbage for drums. so i boosted the wrong freqs and cut the wrong freqs and the compressed it and made the snare sound like garbage lol. oh well, i am new to mixing drums :) but i think i'm beginning to get the idea. i hope so anyway :)

Compressing drums or pieces of drums will screw you all to hell if you have no idea what you're doing. So will EQ. Drums are tricky bastards. I couldn't listen to much of the cklip because that site you're hosting on is shit and it freezes up, but from what I heard, they didn't sound terrible. Drop the snare in the mix a little, cut some low-mids from the kick, and bring it up a little. Treat the entire kit to one reverb as opposed to each track just to keep it simple and cohesive. Then you can add hints on individual reverb as you see fit. The bigger problem with what I heard was the vocals and guitar. The guitar sounds muddy and plain, good riffing but bad tone in the mix, and the vocals are awful. Is that you singing? Use your real voice. This sounded like Joan Jett with her nuts in a vice while swimming through bad reverb. It's just not a good vocal performance.

Compress the hell out of everything. The drums are not bad, just need compression and the snare needs to go down a little. Try taking low mids in the kick and add a little around 4k to give it a little click. Just a little. Drums need a little reverb. The bass is boomy. Try to check what frequency is giving you trouble there and take it down a notch. The rhythm guitars need to be double tracked and pan them left and right. Right now they are sounding mono. They need to go up in the mix. The solo is to the left. Thats the one who needs to really be in the middle. The voice is not bad, but sounds weird. Ditch the stereo FX that you have going there and settle to put it in the middle, not in that stereo weirdness all the time.

I disagree. Compression on the drums is the last thing that is needed. I would take it all off and start fresh. The drums are all bad which is why every post is about them. Also the "Im yours" over and over again really tends to pull me away from the song. The guitar player is quite good. Still all feels very compressed to me.

This is a pretty good song and quite well-played too. It's just that it sounds like it's all coming out of a box. A little muddy down low too perhaps. I have the feeling it needs to breathe.

Joey :):)

This is a cool song and very catchy. I'm listening to this through some cheap speakers at work so I don't think I can comment on the mix itself, but the snare did seem a bit loud. Cool song though. :)

Compressing drums or pieces of drums will screw you all to hell if you have no idea what you're doing. So will EQ. Drums are tricky bastards. I couldn't listen to much of the cklip because that site you're hosting on is shit and it freezes up, but from what I heard, they didn't sound terrible. Drop the snare in the mix a little, cut some low-mids from the kick, and bring it up a little. Treat the entire kit to one reverb as opposed to each track just to keep it simple and cohesive. Then you can add hints on individual reverb as you see fit. The bigger problem with what I heard was the vocals and guitar. The guitar sounds muddy and plain, good riffing but bad tone in the mix, and the vocals are awful. Is that you singing? Use your real voice. This sounded like Joan Jett with her nuts in a vice while swimming through bad reverb. It's just not a good vocal performance.

that's not me singing :) it was definitely too wet. and the site i used isn't a player. you're supposed to download the song not listen to it from there.

ya i realized the trickyness of the drums after i screwed them up lol i do think i have them fixed at this point though.

thanks greg

Compress the hell out of everything. The drums are not bad, just need compression and the snare needs to go down a little. Try taking low mids in the kick and add a little around 4k to give it a little click. Just a little. Drums need a little reverb. The bass is boomy. Try to check what frequency is giving you trouble there and take it down a notch. The rhythm guitars need to be double tracked and pan them left and right. Right now they are sounding mono. They need to go up in the mix. The solo is to the left. Thats the one who needs to really be in the middle. The voice is not bad, but sounds weird. Ditch the stereo FX that you have going there and settle to put it in the middle, not in that stereo weirdness all the time.

thanks

I disagree. Compression on the drums is the last thing that is needed. I would take it all off and start fresh. The drums are all bad which is why every post is about them. Also the "Im yours" over and over again really tends to pull me away from the song. The guitar player is quite good. Still all feels very compressed to me.

well, the i'm yours is the whole point of the song :) and i didn't compress the drums at all in the remix which i have yet to listen to as i just woke up.

This is a pretty good song and quite well-played too. It's just that it sounds like it's all coming out of a box. A little muddy down low too perhaps. I have the feeling it needs to breathe.

Joey :):)

This is a cool song and very catchy. I'm listening to this through some cheap speakers at work so I don't think I can comment on the mix itself, but the snare did seem a bit loud. Cool song though. :)

thanks. i have a bit of an issue with reverb. i either don't hear it or it's drowning in it lol. and i won't be retracking the drums, but i will simply go back to the original tracks which if i remember correctly don't sound nearly as bad. i messed with the sound of the drums a lot and when my ears weren't fresh, so by the time i realized i'd messed up, they were already incorporated into the song and i wasn't sure what i should do, so i did nothing. but i will if you people think it needs to be done.

Reverb is one of those tricky effects that are easy to use too much of. When I started mixing about a year ago I tended to use way too much, because if I backed it down I couldn't hear it. Now my ears have improved and I can detect a more subtle reverbs and how they alter a sound, but a good rule of thumb is to either bring the reverb up until you can just hear it (which is usually a little too much if you're trying to be subtle) and then back it off a tiny bit, until you feel like you can't quite hear it.

Then, after you've played through the track a few times, bypass the reverb and you should be able to hear the vocal (or whatever you used the effect on) pop out, it will sound very dry. A/B between the two and see if you need to slightly push the reverb up or down.

The point being that at first when you put a reverb on, you'll want to hear it to know you've done something, but it's easy to lay too much verb on a track. If you're going for a very wet sound, that's ok. If you're trying to be subtle, it's a good idea to back it off until you feel like there's too little verb on the track, and then A/B it and adjust from there after listening through the track a few times.

After a while things you put reverb on often in different songs (vocals, lead guitars, snare drum etc.) will become natural to you, and you'll have a much better feel for how you should proceed.

Jeepers! Aside from the kit..or just the snare being loud in the mix, and some mid build-up.... I don't think it's too bad. It sounds like what I'd hear at a live outdoor concert....that kind on aural stamp on it....the ambiance. Like something I hear by ...oh crap...can't think of the name...lead singer sings like a goat...alt jam band; kind of a stadium sound they get in their live stadium DVD.

I'd mix in some concert-crowd noise and applause, and call it good, I think!

While it's sounding like a live tune coming out of a jukebox on the track, I don't know , if it were actually coming out of a jukebox, it'd sound like awful!

Reverb is one of those tricky effects that are easy to use too much of. When I started mixing about a year ago I tended to use way too much, because if I backed it down I couldn't hear it. Now my ears have improved and I can detect a more subtle reverbs and how they alter a sound, but a good rule of thumb is to either bring the reverb up until you can just hear it (which is usually a little too much if you're trying to be subtle) and then back it off a tiny bit, until you feel like you can't quite hear it.

Then, after you've played through the track a few times, bypass the reverb and you should be able to hear the vocal (or whatever you used the effect on) pop out, it will sound very dry. A/B between the two and see if you need to slightly push the reverb up or down.

The point being that at first when you put a reverb on, you'll want to hear it to know you've done something, but it's easy to lay too much verb on a track. If you're going for a very wet sound, that's ok. If you're trying to be subtle, it's a good idea to back it off until you feel like there's too little verb on the track, and then A/B it and adjust from there after listening through the track a few times.

After a while things you put reverb on often in different songs (vocals, lead guitars, snare drum etc.) will become natural to you, and you'll have a much better feel for how you should proceed.

i realized one way of seeing exactly how much reverb is on the thing, whenever a vocal or guitar part stops, there is the reverb echo. i have quite a bit on the guitar, but that was from the amp and is recorded that way so i can't do anything about it. i did fix the vox and drums though. just a little on the snare now. but i am having a bit of an issue with the muddy guitars at this point. the mids are just horrid. i've done three mixes since last night lolol including remixing the drums twice :)

Jeepers! Aside from the kit..or just the snare being loud in the mix, and some mid build-up.... I don't think it's too bad. It sounds like what I'd hear at a live outdoor concert....that kind on aural stamp on it....the ambiance. Like something I hear by ...oh crap...can't think of the name...lead singer sings like a goat...alt jam band; kind of a stadium sound they get in their live stadium DVD.

I'd mix in some concert-crowd noise and applause, and call it good, I think!

While it's sounding like a live tune coming out of a jukebox on the track, I don't know , if it were actually coming out of a jukebox, it'd sound like awful!

i think that's why i ended up with the snare too loud. when i hear a drummer play, the snare always stands out to me so i tend to first mix it like i hear a live kit. but the thing is getting under control. i'll post the latest version in a bit. i have some leaves to bag first.

well, the i'm yours is the whole point of the song :) and i didn't compress the drums at all in the remix which i have yet to listen to as i just woke up.

I'm just saying that there is just a one line verse and then "I'm yours" multiple times. Second verse is the same. Not very mature song writting but this is the mix clinic so maybe I'm out of line.

Better mix this time and the guitar is quite good.

I'm just saying that there is just a one line verse and then "I'm yours" multiple times. Second verse is the same. Not very mature song writting but this is the mix clinic so maybe I'm out of line.

Better mix this time and the guitar is quite good.

thank you. i like to play. :) and the song was written when i was fairly young in the D/s lifestyle so it's not surprising that it's not very mature. however, every word in the song, is merely an exposition of why "i'm Yours". and, i do believe in keeping stuff simple :) but the next songs for this album are lyrically more complex. :) thanks for hte help :) i bet you're glad i didn't post one of the original versions. "i'm yours" was repeated even more lololol. and i don't really think you're out of line. you're offering an opinion, without being mean about it. no problems from me :)

Back