Amp crackling/burning

dem466

I have just recently acquired a DSL100MLB (2009 special edition). It's just over a year old, and has had no problems in the past.

Recently I was just playing guitar as usual, and all of a sudden large crackling sounds started to happen. I thought it was an issue with my guitar jack, but after changing guitars and leads it did it again. The amp volume was pretty low, yet the crackling was VERY loud.

From the front of the amp, i could see pulses of light coming through the LEDs on the front plate that were in sync with the cracking sounds. Whether this was from the LEDs them self or from the power amp tubes pulsing, i'm not sure.
This had happened once or twice in the recent past, but stopped pretty quickly so i continued like normal.

Shortly after the crackling sounds started i could smell something burning from the back of the amp, most likely electrical. So i shut it down immediately, but i'm a bit worried about starting it up again until i know what the problem is.

I've done a bit of research, but haven't found much about this. I have thought of two main problems that might have caused it. One would be the speaker cables and impedance load. I always check regularly that the cables are properly connected any everything, so i've ruled it out has human error.

The other thought was that maybe it was one of the power tubes. I'm looking into replacing them now, but i'm not sure if they are the main problem. Is it possible for a power tube to blow/stop working?

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Sounds like tubes but burning smell can be more serious problem. Can you afford to take it to a qualified technician for a check up?

I'd say he either affords a tech to check it out, or "affords" a smoked amp- and maybe house. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish- get thee to an amp tech!

First off ..... yes tubes can 'blow/stop working'. They can fail in a variety of ways with the most serious being shorting out which can fry stuff in the amp.
But if you really smelt burnt electrical then something had to burn to cause that smell. Just tubes alone aren't going to smell unless they take something else out so you've fried something in the amp ............ sorry .... tech time. It could be something minor-ish .... maybe just a few resistors so try to find a tech that won't screw you. But it could be more major than that too ........ not what you wanted to hear but unfortunately that's what ya' got.

I agree as well. Get the amp to a tech. Better safe than sorry. It could be a variety of things from bad tubes, arching between the tubes, a failed filter cap, the amp biased wrong (too hot which will definitely kill the tubes)...etc.

Back