Amp choices

tonyw1

Hey guys
looking for some advice
buying a new amp next week but between two minds between getting a fender frontman 212r or a vox ac30 or ac15
anyone use or have experience with either?
i am looking for a good punk rock tone to both practice and record with eventually and don't want to rush into buying one and then regretting it
guitar i use is an epiphone les paul junior and also have an epiphone es 333 tom delonge signature on the way
many thanks
Tony

You'll eventually want to play live with the same amp, and if stage volume is important (;)), the Fender is miles ahead of any 15-watt or 30-watt amplifier. You'd need a pedal with either Vox, and you'll wish you had more stage volume. Just a guess, but a very good guess.

i would put my vote on the fender. it would give you the tones youre looking for and react more powerfully with the guitars that you have

cheers guys looks like the fender is out in front so far ;)
i only using a behringer vt30 at the moment and the verity of tone isn't great but my friend is starting out playing so he is buying it off me and i want to take my playing to the next level some what as me and some friends will be starting a band during the summer so really want to think hard about what amp to get as i dont want to regret it down the line! :D
many thanks
Tony

Fprget all them and get a Marshall stack, you'll never regret it. :)

at the moment money isn't too much of a problem to buy one of these but space is at a priority because i have the 'box room' in the house and have very little room so wouldn't be able to fit a stack or even a 4x12 cab in my room so sticking to the slightly smaller amps for the time being :D

It's interesting to see a solid state up against a valve amp. I don't think it's exactly fair to compare like with like, and any venue where you need more than 30 valve watts will have a PA. I'd also disagree that the Solid State will react more 'powerfully' than a standard AC30 but I'm not sure if its' the VR series you're looking at. Even if is the hybrid VR vox models you're referencing, I have a lot of faith in the 'hybrid' approach (a 12AX& tube in the power stage).

If I were you, I'd consider matching my amp with my guitar. If memory serves, the Delonge Epis have a single, high-gain humbucker, and it depends how much versatility you're trying to coax out of the rig. I think that, paired with your guitar, the Vox will prove a one-trick pony...but it'll be a very good trick! The Fender might give you a little more versatility with cleans and OD sounds, but at the end of the day, it's a solid-state amp. And that's a debate for another day.

It's interesting to see a solid state up against a valve amp. I don't think it's exactly fair to compare like with like, and any venue where you need more than 30 valve watts will have a PA. I'd also disagree that the Solid State will react more 'powerfully' than a standard AC30 but I'm not sure if its' the VR series you're looking at. Even if is the hybrid VR vox models you're referencing, I have a lot of faith in the 'hybrid' approach (a 12AX& tube in the power stage).

If I were you, I'd consider matching my amp with my guitar. If memory serves, the Delonge Epis have a single, high-gain humbucker, and it depends how much versatility you're trying to coax out of the rig. I think that, paired with your guitar, the Vox will prove a one-trick pony...but it'll be a very good trick! The Fender might give you a little more versatility with cleans and OD sounds, but at the end of the day, it's a solid-state amp. And that's a debate for another day.

thats a very valid point my friend two completely differant amps can't be compared very well...yes the delonge guitar has one gibson dirty fingers humbucker on the bridge..to be honest the most of my playing will be the blink 182, greenday, angels and airwaves type genre
could you even possibly give me two or three options that might go well with the delonge guitar or the epip les paul to create this type of sound for roughly 450-500 dollars (or 300+ euro/pounds) depending on where you are from
many thanks
Tony

thats a very valid point my friend two completely differant amps can't be compared very well...yes the delonge guitar has one gibson dirty fingers humbucker on the bridge..to be honest the most of my playing will be the blink 182, greenday, angels and airwaves type genre
could you even possibly give me two or three options that might go well with the delonge guitar or the epip les paul to create this type of sound for roughly 450-500 dollars (or 300+ euro/pounds) depending on where you are from
many thanks
Tony

Well, assuming the 'apples and oranges' caveat above, I'd say you're on the right track with the Vox. Personally, I'd be inclined to push the boat out on an all-valve affair, something like the Marshall Class 5 with a half-decent OD pedal. With a high-gain bridge bucker, you can push these small valve-amps pretty hard and they break up quite nicely and you should retain some of these dynamics even with a hybrid like the Valve Reactor stuff by Vox.

Also, with both Vox and Marshall, you're dealing with the UK-type circuit: traditionally, they tend to favour a more pronounced mid-range than the US brands, and I think it'd suit the pop-punk style well. To be honest, I've found that solid state fenders tend to sound a bit fizzy when the gain piles up. Ultimately, you need to try before you buy.

The Fender may not be all it's cracked up to be.

My brother bought a Frontman 25R and the "dirty" channel is excessively noisy/hissy with gain set above 5/6 and the volume set above about 2.

So if you're looking at it for crunchier sounds I would look at something else, or use a distortion stomp box on the clean channel.

The clean channel doesn't have the same issue. It seems quiet enough.

Rather than perpetuate a useless laundry list of amplifier he 'could' purchase, if the only choices were the three listed, I'd still go with the Fender. In a perfect world, if money was no object, I'd get either Vox for recording and use the Fender for live. Recorded tones are forever, but live tones are only heard by people there who are more interested in getting stoned or drunk rather than criticizing your amp choice. That's for the other guitar players there who don't have a gig somewhere else. :p
Use YouTube and 'see' the Frontman 212R in action. If it seems like it's for you, try one at the store. It'll have much more stage volume with more clean headroom, so pedals can be used to take your sound where ever else you want it to go. Unless you play with a drum machine that you control the volume, or the bass player uses a 25-watt amplifier, you'll appreciate the stage volume.
Here's another thought; rent the AC15 for a weekend and try for yourself. You're welcome.

thanks for the comments guy to be honest guys i think i will go for the vox...have been looking up on a lot of amps the last few days and from what i've seen and been kindly told here the vox seems the way to go for the type of music i will be playing lot of people seem to say the same thing about the fuzzy sound from the fender etc
i think i am also going to buy a boss ds-1 distortion pedal i have nothing but good things about boss pedals so am willing to spend a bit on one as i have been saving with 3 months work for new equipment that i will be keeping for quite a while so i am spending wisely and looking into other options before i finally do purchase

Rather than perpetuate a useless laundry list of amplifier he 'could' purchase

No idea why such a list would be useless. It's a decidedly more refined option than coming out with 'The fender is a solid state amp, they're shit, don't buy one'. I'm actually a bit surprised that nobody has rowed in with this as yet.

Rather than perpetuate a useless laundry list of amplifier he 'could' purchase, if the only choices were the three listed, I'd still go with the Fender. In a perfect world, if money was no object, I'd get either Vox for recording and use the Fender for live. Recorded tones are forever, but live tones are only heard by people there who are more interested in getting stoned or drunk rather than criticizing your amp choice. That's for the other guitar players there who don't have a gig somewhere else. :p
Use YouTube and 'see' the Frontman 212R in action. If it seems like it's for you, try one at the store. It'll have much more stage volume with more clean headroom, so pedals can be used to take your sound where ever else you want it to go. Unless you play with a drum machine that you control the volume, or the bass player uses a 25-watt amplifier, you'll appreciate the stage volume.
Here's another thought; rent the AC15 for a weekend and try for yourself. You're welcome.

well IF i could rent an amp i wouldn't have asked here for opinions i would have just done it myself but i live in a small town in the south of Ireland with a population of about 7 thousand people and not one decent music shop within hundreds of miles so i am limited to what i can do hence why i ask more educated people here for their more professional opinions on the matter so i have to go on what people have said here aswell as looking up reviews and videos on them to see what would be the best option i'm trying to make the most from my limited resources the three or how ever many i mentioned were not the only options i just narrowed it down over the last few weeks from a list of ten or more

Ouch. That's gotta be frustrating. You always want to try before you buy. I forget some of you aren't as spoiled as I am, and I shouldn't ever complain. What can you do? Sure, use YouTube or Guitar Player reviews, and get an idea, but still it's up to you and your music. Opinions overall will be useful, but just to a point. It's still your call.
I'll guess for punk you play loud and with a lot of distortion. You won't have a drummer who uses brushes with a traditional grip. You'll need power. How many watts does the bass player have at his disposal? I hate that it's a war of volume, but that's how it's been since I started playing. You want to blend together nicely, even if the music isn't nice. ;)

I have the Fender 212R. I had to find something powerful enough to handle a loud rock band when faced with gigs and no Mesa Boogie.
I really didn't have anything else here that was powerful enough. I'd read mixed reviews about the 212R. Found one at a local shop for roughly $225.00 in like-new condition.

It does "loud" very well. It has solid state harshness that is challenging to overcome. I'm fairly certain that, with a few weeks and some determination, I could make it workable. Honestly, I'm only keeping it around in case I'm in need of a back up amp.

I haven't had any experience with the AC15 or AC30. I would have to believe that they would have a better overall tone than the Frontman 212R, though I couldn't tell you if it would have the overall volume you may need to play in a loud band somewhere down the road.

I have a Vox AC 30 equipped with Celestion Blues. The Blues are very, very, efficient speakers, and that amp will knock your head off. No worry whastoever about keeping up volume-wise.

...I live in a small town in the south of Ireland with a population of about 7 thousand people and not one decent music shop within hundreds of miles so i am limited to what i can do...

Time for a road trip! Head to Dublin or another town that's big enough to have several music stores, with your guitar(s) and cash, for a day or a weekend. Call ahead and make sure the amps you are considering are in stock in at least one store. Keep your wits about you so you don't get robbed. If you stay in a hotel, bring your guitars into the room with you, and if it's a dive, don't go out and leave them behind. You might ask the music store to keep them overnight (Saturday,) for you, if you stay in a dive and/or want to go out Saturday nite. Show them you are a serious buyer, and buying that weekend, and they should be very accommodating. Shop around and play the amps Saturday, think it over Sat. evening (going out to hear music there would make the trip even more fun,) and buy on Sunday. If the shop is small and not open on Sunday, ask them for a contact number you can call Sunday afternoon, so that if you decide to buy from that shop they can agree to open up to close the sale.

IF you bring your GF or a friend, make sure they understand you will be pre-occupied ALL DAY Saturday, your friend needs to find something else to do so you are not distracted and feeling guilty you are ignoring them. Be sure to include them in your Saturday-night fun. Except for buying the amp Sunday, spend Sunday doing other things besides guitar-stuff- have some fun, see the sights, visit friends if you have any there.

Time for a road trip! Head to Dublin or another town that's big enough to have several music stores, with your guitar(s) and cash, for a day or a weekend. Call ahead and make sure the amps you are considering are in stock in at least one store. Keep your wits about you so you don't get robbed. If you stay in a hotel, bring your guitars into the room with you, and if it's a dive, don't go out and leave them behind. You might ask the music store to keep them overnight (Saturday,) for you, if you stay in a dive and/or want to go out Saturday nite. Show them you are a serious buyer, and buying that weekend, and they should be very accommodating. Shop around and play the amps Saturday, think it over Sat. evening (going out to hear music there would make the trip even more fun,) and buy on Sunday. If the shop is small and not open on Sunday, ask them for a contact number you can call Sunday afternoon, so that if you decide to buy from that shop they can agree to open up to close the sale.

IF you bring your GF or a friend, make sure they understand you will be pre-occupied ALL DAY Saturday, your friend needs to find something else to do so you are not distracted and feeling guilty you are ignoring them. Be sure to include them in your Saturday-night fun. Except for buying the amp Sunday, spend Sunday doing other things besides guitar-stuff- have some fun, see the sights, visit friends if you have any there.

Good advice this, for the most part anyways! Op is about a two hour drive from Dublin and there are only really 4 music stores worth seeing. Three are located on the same street in the city centre, while one is located about a 30 minute drive from there. Unfortunately, only one of four opens Sunday! :mad:

X-Music or Music Maker are about your best bets here op.

Stevie, would a mom-and-pop style retailer open on a Sunday to close a sale in the US? I was in Sonoma one evening and was looking for a place to eat when I saw a music store. They were closing up when they saw me looking in the window. They invited me in for a browse and a chat and I bought a shock-mount that I couldn't source back home! Long way to go for something like that but it was a really cool experience from a customer-service perspective.

Back