Amazing Journey/Sparks Who cover

queepy

aka Variaxman
Recorded this from end of last practice...used to know it really well but been awhile....its a live recording, single stereo mic, so its by no means hi - quality, drummer was bashing!.....but the energy was pretty cool and I think for 3 geezers, we remembered most of it...I really clammed the end :o...thought some of you other classic rock guys might dig...

MP3 Player SoundClick

Last edited:
Reactions: PDP
Cool, probably one of my favorite Tommy songs, though this sounds more like the version on the extended Live at Leeds.
Your bass player kinda flubs the very beginning and it has it's occasional loosenesses, but it sounds like you guys had a good time.
Yeah nice ending. :)

Cool, probably one of my favorite Tommy songs, though this sounds more like the version on the extended Live at Leeds.
Your bass player kinda flubs the very beginning and it has it's occasional loosenesses, but it sounds like you guys had a good time.
Yeah nice ending. :)

Yeah, definetly going for a "Live At Leeds" vibe....this was our 2nd attempt,playing from memory as nobody had prepeared to play it that night, so it is way loose , I think it will be worth trying to tighten up tho .....I will get that ending right as well :facepalm:;):D
Thanks for listening!

That's pretty awesome really. Your drummer is great. Love the way he played it. Yall really captured a live Who feel. Well done. Do "Fiddle About" next. :D

holy god man. the whole thing pretty much sounds like it could be a who live bootleg. the drums were fantastic - but I thought the vocals were pretty uncanny.

Greg_L : pretty awesome really. Your drummer is great. Love the way he played it. Yall really captured a live Who feel. Well done. Do "Fiddle About" next.
Hey Greg, this drummer Im jamming with now is a total Moon disciple....hes a blast to play with...I had messed around with this tune since I started playing guitar but never played it with anybody, it was a incredible feeling at times to feel that Leeds vibe from the way he was drumming.....fiddle about would be great, we are also thinking of doing "Bell Boy". Thanks a lot for the comments...

PDP : Cool, I like the drumming too.This:The Who - 1921 - YouTube
is my favorite Tommy song.
This is one of Rocks all time most powerful tunes: (from their second Rock Opera) "either way blood flows"
The Who 5:15 - YouTube

Awesome tunes PDP, have to admit, I'm kinda partial to the versions of Tommy that The Who played live rather then studio...at there peak the energy was un beatable! 5:15 is one of my all time favs! Good call man, thanks for checking out our cover!

chuckduffy : holy god man. the whole thing pretty much sounds like it could be a who live bootleg. the drums were fantastic - but I thought the vocals were pretty uncanny.

Ha! Thanks man, thats big props to me as I love bootleg stuff that sounds "real" and not faked/overdubbed!The singer is also our bassist and out of the 3 of us, was the least familer with the song(bass parts), so I will be sure to pass the props on.

Cool. I'm not super familiar with the who. I have live at leeds somewhere around here, but haven't listened in many years. I don't remember this tune.

Drums are awesome as is the guitar. What guitar and amp was used on this? I'm assuming this is one that pete townsend sings? It sounds like those kind of vocals, but I'm probably wrong...? What did roger do when pete sang anyway...tambourine? dance?

Like any bootleg-like recording, it sounded really rough to me at the very beginning, but I quickly acclimated and enjoyed the live room sound the rest of the way.

Cool. I'm not super familiar with the who. I have live at leeds somewhere around here, but haven't listened in many years. I don't remember this tune.

Drums are awesome as is the guitar. What guitar and amp was used on this? I'm assuming this is one that pete townsend sings? It sounds like those kind of vocals, but I'm probably wrong...? What did roger do when pete sang anyway...tambourine? dance?

Like any bootleg-like recording, it sounded really rough to me at the very beginning, but I quickly acclimated and enjoyed the live room sound the rest of the way.

yeah the snare rattle was bugging the living shit out of me before it kicked in - but man I got sucked in fast and hard. daltrey mostly adjusted his schlong when pete sang.

Hi HM! I used a Gibson Les Paul BFG Burstbucker pro3 pickup in bridge/P-90 in the neck(which i love!) Into a POD HD500 >Line6 Flextone 3xl(into effects loop in order to bypass amps preamp/tone stack, using my hd 500 for all tone/amp modeling), using xlr outs on amp to go directly to PA....Thanks for listening!

dude this totally sounds like a live bootleg. no joke. im a who freak. no smoke blowing.

Man, thanks a lot...makes my day! Funny you mentioned the snare rattle...that drives me nuts as well, not sure how drummer can stand that...but I think his hearing may be a tad gone:D

What did roger do when pete sang anyway...tambourine? dance?

LOL, pretty much. Roger only sang one song on the Who Sell out album. (I can see for miles). It took some time to translate the vocals over to Roger.

If you have some time you should check out the "Amazing journey" DVD(s) its done very well, and I found parts of it to be hysterical.

Back