Am I Fucked?

$15,000 for a Yamaha Fender Stratocopycaster. Amazing deal. But only because it's vintage...

That whole auction and the guy's website are fucking hilarious. I wonder how he found all those weird pictures??? I would love to shake hands with the guy that put it all together. I hope he does sell that guitar for 30 grand, so he can invest it in promoting his personal website. SWEET ASS.

Nice
I forgot to take a picture of the gig bag, but it's a real good gig bag! For those who don't know, a gig is when you go out and play in a band. You carry your guitar to a gig using a gig bag!

Classic!!
Three pickups with a selector switch! Three pickups makes it very loud!! Some non-vintage guitars only have two pickups. They are not as loud.

To make things clear.. I didn´t buy the one from the website, that one is VERY obviously a joke. Anyway, my guitar turned out to be a Squier indeed, but then again..

Hard to tell from the pictures, but is it a dark maroon/wine red color? I got one of those once, and it was my biggest regret-buy ever. It was setup so poorly it wasn't even worth the money to get it fixed.

My Yamaha (non-vintage) strat copy sounds a million times better.

There are a lot of crooks out there taking Mexican strat necks off and replacing them with squire necks, changing the logo and S#.

OK. I have limited knowledge of my Fender Strat specifics, but here are the problems I see:

- I *think* (as in maybe 80% certainty) that CY is a Squier prefix for s/ns. This would be a Chinese neck. EDIT: I looked this up on Wikipedia. CY03 would be a 2003 Squier made in Taiwan.

- Despite the low image quality, it looks like the wood under the Fender logo has been sanded, especially next to the word "Stratocaster".

- That burst looks like Sienna Sunburst, which only comes on special editions and American guitars. For 150 Euros, I doubt it. It could be a Cherryburst Squier. Those Cherrybursts are supposed to be very nice, BTW.

- Same for the saddles. Those are shaped like the stamped saddles on a MIA 2-point bridge. Not something you routinely get for 150 Euros, especially with the 2-point bridge.

- The neck plate has a hole for a micro-tilt neck adjustment. Is there something under that hole that you can tighten with a hex wrench, or is it just wood? If it's just wood, that neck plate doesn't belong on that guitar.

- Fender hasn't put large headstocks on guitars since the late 70s except on reissues, MIM deluxes (like the Deluxe Fat Strats from 5 years ago or so), special editions, and Squiers.

Taking all this into account, my guess is that the guitar is a re-logoed Squier Cherryburst with an aftermarket pickguard. Just a guess, though.

Last edited:
Also, you can call Fender and they can run a serial number and tell you about the guitar's factory specs (color, pickups, model, etc.). Check the website for the phone number...it's just the basic customer service number. It's long distance, too, not an 800 number, if that makes a difference. I don't know if it works for Squiers, but if they can't ID it that will at least clue you in that it's not a Fender.

Back