Always Everywhere

I'll just dive in here...

First thing I notice is that the vocals are getting drowned out. They're just too far back and low. Next, I hear some low end rumble coming from (I think) the kick. It's particularly noticeable around 1:50. There's a click or pop at 2:46. I'd like the guitar solo to be a bit fuller (sounds high and tinny). The synths around 2:50 should be quieter or maybe panned out. I felt like the fade was awkward at the end. I would try fading the bass as well so that the guitar closes out the song alone.

Overall I think the drums, bass, and rhythm guitars blend pretty well. Nice work and I hope to hear it again with some touching up!

Thanks for the surgical ear, Leavings! I appreciate the specificity of your comment. You picked up on some things that I had obviously missed and I agree with what you are saying about the synth.

I'm hearing a lot of buildup in the 2500hz area. The guitars, vocal, and drum overheads (cymbals) are all really strident in that area. And the vocal is getting lost in that buildup.

The kickin of the chorus is cool. To me it needs a double tracked vocal and harmony.

A pitchy note or two around :50 on the words "my mind."

To me, there is too much reverb. Makes it sound dated. There isn't a ton of it, but still more than you hear in commercial mixes these days. And I personally don't like a ton of reverb on most things this side of Fleet Foxes.

Thanks Triple M...appreciated. I had done some tweaking yesterday and have had similar comments on other forums about the upper range since doing so. Solved one issue and created a few others...a work still in progress. 8-/

Back