ALTERNATIVES WITH MULTIPLE OUTPUTS TO BLACKHOLE FOR APPLE M1?

On my Apple M1 Mini, when I run Ableton and choose my Saffire 18i20 as the output, I can have the metronome on output 3-4 for just my own monitoring while the main output 1-2 does not broadcast the metronome to the listener, ideal for an acoustic song where I need precise timing but do not want any percussion.

However, to live stream using OBS I route my audio via BlackHole. I create a multi-output device in the Apple Audio-Midi Setup which has both BlackHole 16ch and Saffire18i20 as outputs and set this multi-output device as the output of Ableton, with OBS taking audio straight from BlackHole 16ch. But then I only have outputs 1-2 available on Ableton and there is no output 3-4 available to monitor the metronome without the listener hearing it. Perhaps this is because the Multi-Output Device that Apple automatically creates is 0in 2out, despite BlackHole apparently being 16ch.

Is there a way I can monitor my metronome on a separate output while live-streaming via OBS, perhaps with BlackHole or maybe an alternative, that will of course work with my M1 chip? I have searched the internet for an answer but to no avail.

Many thanks.

As far as I know multi output device just makes all included devices mirror each on their respective 1+2 outputs,
kind of like a virtual splitter.
I don't *think* it gives you the option to specify channels 3+4 or 5+6 of a multi hardware output interface...it just defaults to 1+2.

If I'm correct about that I think you probably want to create an aggregate device instead so that all of the available outputs (16 blackhole and 20 hardware) should be available to you in ableton and you can manage your routing there.

On my Apple M1 Mini, when I run Ableton and choose my Saffire 18i20 as the output, I can have the metronome on output 3-4 for just my own monitoring while the main output 1-2 does not broadcast the metronome to the listener, ideal for an acoustic song where I need precise timing but do not want any percussion.

However, to live stream using OBS I route my audio via BlackHole. I create a multi-output device in the Apple Audio-Midi Setup which has both BlackHole 16ch and Saffire18i20 as outputs and set this multi-output device as the output of Ableton, with OBS taking audio straight from BlackHole 16ch. But then I only have outputs 1-2 available on Ableton and there is no output 3-4 available to monitor the metronome without the listener hearing it. Perhaps this is because the Multi-Output Device that Apple automatically creates is 0in 2out, despite BlackHole apparently being 16ch.

Is there a way I can monitor my metronome on a separate output while live-streaming via OBS, perhaps with BlackHole or maybe an alternative, that will of course work with my M1 chip? I have searched the internet for an answer but to no avail.
What does BlackHole do for OBS? IOWs why not use the Saffire 18i20 for ins and outs?

You can use blackhole as the input for your broadcasting software so that you can then have two separate mixes.
One goes to the hardware outputs for what you hear and the other goes blackhole outputs (in to the broadcasting software) for what they hear.

With that setup OP could, for example, send everything to headphones but everything except click to blackhole,
and then the viewers won't hear the click.

Back