Alternatives to These Waves Plugins

frank1985

Hey guys. I’ve been using Waves plugins almost exclusively for a few years, but I’m now looking to migrate away from their ecosystem for reasons I don’t want to get into or make the focus of this thread. I have achieved good mixing results with the following plugins, which are a huge part of my workflow, so i’m looking for alternatives that are just as good (but not too expensive). As you can see I particularly like compressors that emulate old analog hardware and the way in which they all impart their own character. The SSL and CLA 2A are faves. It would help if you could copy and paste my list and suggest alternatives for me to check out.

SSL G Master Bus Compressor
CLA 2A
CLA 3A
CLA 76
TG12345
DBX 160
F6 Dynamic Floating Band EQ (By far my most used plugin)
J37 Tape Emulation (Replace with U-he satin?)
Torque (I don’t think there’s anything else like this?)

You could check Plugin-Alliance for some replacements... be on the lookout for sales, they usually offer $29.99 any plugin coupons or $20 off any plugin coupons... they run sales all throughout the year, but check soon, as Black Friday sales will be sure to have some deals.

suggest alternatives for me to check out.

SSL G Master Bus Compresson
Not really anything out there that is quite like this.

CLA 2A
CLA 3A
CLA 76
TG12345
DBX 160

The Logic Audio compression plug will match all of these.

Ozone has this - but I don't think you can separate it and use it as a plug.
J37 Tape Emulation (Replace with U-he satin?)
Any similar tape/saturation plug will work.
Torque (I don’t think there’s anything else like this?)
This is a Filter - you just have to fine the right Filter(s).

Not really anything out there that is quite like this.

There’s plenty out there - in the end I decided on the ssl native bus compressor

The Logic Audio compression plug will match all of these.

Not everyone has Logic Audio

Any similar tape/saturation plug will work.
Not at all. Most are very poor and unnatural sounding. I ended up with Satin by Uhe.
This is a Filter - you just have to fine the right Filter(s).
It’s not a filter, and so therefore not a case of “just finding the right filter”

Poor post, please self administer twelve lashings.

There’s plenty out there - in the end I decided on the ssl native bus compressor
The Native Compressor is different than the Waves - so it depends on what you liked about their SSLG - and if you like what the Waves does then you might not like what the Native does (and Vice Versa)

Not everyone has Logic Audio
Indeed - but you didn't specify and I was suggesting something that is better than the Waves version.

Not at all. Most are very poor and unnatural sounding. I ended up with Satin by Uhe.
Any similar plugin will work - Slate VTM for instance - the operative word is 'similar'.

It’s not a filter, and so therefore not a case of “just finding the right filter”

Maybe not a filter in the traditional sense - but it processes like one.

Poor post, please self administer twelve lashings.
I'm not sure about this...

Ozone has this - but I don't think you can separate it and use it as a plug.
If you have the advanced suite or the pro subscription, you can break out the individual modules. The pro subscription in general would be a cost effective way to replace all of the aforementioned plugins.

As for completely free alternatives, I would start with TDR Nova for a great dynamic eq.

As far as free compressors, I would look at OTT first and foremost. Others include Rough Rider and DCAM. Acustica Audio has TAN. It sounds great also.
Don't underestimate the stock compressors in your DAW. Most are quite capable.

Satin is a great option for sure. Also check out Chow Tape.

For a full line of excellent free plugins with oversampling, make sure to try out the Voxengo free bundle. The free Melda bundle is great, too!

Trigger 2 could potentially be a good free alternative to torque. Torque is popular for the pitch shifting capability to change the tone of your drums. Trigger does the same thing, but I'm not sure about additional features or just how close it compares.

That would be my approach. Good luck!

If you have the advanced suite or the pro subscription, you can break out the individual modules. The pro subscription in general would be a cost effective way to replace all of the aforementioned plugins.
I have Ozone 9 Advanced - how do you break the module out - to use in Logic?

I have Ozone 9 Advanced - how do you break the module out - to use in Logic?
You might need re-scan your plug-ins. The scan should detect the parent plug-in and then individual modules. In FL studio, they don’t automatically show up in my plug-in menu. I have to go to my plug-in management and “favorite” the plug-ins I want to appear. I don’t have much experience with Logic. But, I’m sure it’s a similar process. 218F09B4-8AD1-4705-BB85-7F7DC4C52CBD.jpeg

You might need re-scan your plug-ins. The scan should detect the parent plug-in and then individual modules. In FL studio, they don’t automatically show up in my plug-in menu. I have to go to my plug-in management and “favorite” the plug-ins I want to appear. I don’t have much experience with Logic. But, I’m sure it’s a similar process.

Holy Crap - I never knew that - I've never used Ozone or RX8 outside of the software - this is amazing,

Why has nobody mentioned AnalogObsession?

Almost all of these plugins has an alternative made by him. And free too. I’ve given him some money because I felt guilty using them without paying anything.

Almost all of these plugins has an alternative made by him. And free too. I’ve given him some money because I felt guilty using them without paying anything.
Another good resource with rave reviews. I had only recently head of AO. Still need to check their stuff out!

As for completely free alternatives, I would start with TDR Nova for a great dynamic eq.

As far as free compressors, I would look at OTT first and foremost. Others include Rough Rider and DCAM. Acustica Audio has TAN. It sounds great also.
Don't underestimate the stock compressors in your DAW. Most are quite capable.

Satin is a great option for sure. Also check out Chow Tape.

For a full line of excellent free plugins with oversampling, make sure to try out the Voxengo free bundle. The free Melda bundle is great, too!

Trigger 2 could potentially be a good free alternative to torque. Torque is popular for the pitch shifting capability to change the tone of your drums. Trigger does the same thing, but I'm not sure about additional features or just how close it compares.

That would be my approach. Good luck!

Yesterday and today I had my first experience with Acustica Audio.
I tried 4 of their pre-amp plugins. The only one that had some special character was Blond
I expected way more frankly speaking. There is not even saturation !
Maybe Blond could be an alternative for Waves J37 ?

Herre is a video

Hey guys. I’ve been using Waves plugins almost exclusively for a few years, but I’m now looking to migrate away from their ecosystem
Must have missed that. Waves makes some useful plugins. The Codex is one hell of soft synth. O-Vox is fun too. Look towards Brainworx for an alt. Brainworx makes high quality software.
The Fabfilter Pro Q 3 is in that same category, and a very nice plugin. The visual EQ's are used often too. That is no place to skimp. Get something nice. With a lot of presets. Presets help you get where you want and learn parameters fast.

Last edited:
Yesterday and today I had my first experience with Acustica Audio.
I tried 4 of their pre-amp plugins. The only one that had some special character was Blond
I expected way more frankly speaking. There is not even saturation !
Maybe Blond could be an alternative for Waves J37 ?

Herre is a video

I never liked Acustica Audio and after your video I even like it less.
But I like your video presenting several compressors. If anyone told me Omnipressor was not by far the best
in this video, well, each to his own.
It's defenitely on my list now.
Omnipressor would cover an important
part of compressors in your plugin folder imo, so you could work without your Waves dbx and CLA compressors.

These look really cool, downloading some now. Thanks for sharing

First time hearing of Analog Obsession, he is giving these plugins on his patreon page (for small sub of 5$). Can I have some more info on your behalf on quality of the plugins since you are using them if (I understood you correctly).

Thanks in advace.

Best regards,
Mile

First time hearing of Analog Obsession, he is giving these plugins on his patreon page (for small sub of 5$). Can I have some more info on your behalf on quality of the plugins since you are using them if (I understood you correctly).

Thanks in advace.

Best regards,
Mile
The plugins are actually free. You don’t have to sub. I just choose to sub real quick to give some money, and then unsubscribe because I want to give him something but not every month.

Quality is amazing for some unknown guy making plugins. I’d be happy to test some out for you. Right now I use LALA, Lovend, SweetDrums, and Rare (Though I do have a hardware Pultec clone and the Rare is when I’m feeling lazy).

Back