Allman Brothers Band

Middleman

Professional Amateur
There is a complete collection of the 3 Allman Brothers Albums selling at Costco for $18.99. If you want to hear one of the great American Bands from the 70s I suggest picking up this collection.

One of the biggest surprises to me, after not hearing their music for almost 20 years, is how good not only Duane Allman was but Dickey Betts, wow! A lot of the Live at the Filmore Album which I always thought was Duane playing was actually incredible work by Dickey.

If you like the Allman Bros., look up Pride and Glory - it was Zakk Wylde's first band after playing with Ozzy. It was right about the time that he toured with the Allman Bros., and it has that kind of vibe. Outstanding guitar work.

One of my biggest influences

I picked up the electric about the time Duane (and Jimi) died. I immersed myself in the Anthology and Fillmore albums so heavily that it's in my DNA now. Probably my favorite song of all time is Statesboro Blues. I still want to sing like Greg and play like Duane and Dickey. I think I actually preferred Dickey's style better than Duane's in those days. Then Dickey got too noodley even for me. And too country. But I'd still kill for a Duane Allman signature LP. The ultimate guitar to me.

What I found interesting after all these years was that Dickey's tone was much better sounding than Duane's. Duane had those unusual sounding slide melodies but guitar riffs I had associated with Duane were actually Dickey Betts.

I didn't care for his country sound all that much either.

Middleman said:
There is a complete collection of the 3 Allman Brothers Albums selling at Costco for $18.99. If you want to hear one of the great American Bands from the 70s I suggest picking up this collection.

One of the biggest surprises to me, after not hearing their music for almost 20 years, is how good not only Duane Allman was but Dickey Betts, wow! A lot of the Live at the Filmore Album which I always thought was Duane playing was actually incredible work by Dickey.

What do you mean by "complete collection of the 3" albums? There were, of course, a lot more than three Allman albums.

I saw the original Allmans back in 1971, when they opened for Pink Floyd at A Warehouse in New Orleans. The show lasted until about 3 AM, and it cost 4 bucks to get in. I saw John and Yoko at the Cafe' du Monde afterwards. Those were the days, my friend...

Middleman said:
Only 3 with Duane Allman. I should have made that clear.

I believe there were 4 with Duane. There was "Live at the Fillmore", the first two studio albums, and "Eat a Peach", which was released after Duane's death.

"Eat a peach" contained Duane tracks that were actually recorded at the Filmore and did not make the "Live at Filmore" album. There were a couple of new cuts so I will give you that one:D

There was also Layla.

Last edited:
Middleman said:
"Eat a peach" only contained Duane tracks that were actually recorded at the Filmore and did not make the "Live at Filmore" album. No new tracks of his came after the Live Album. Since we are getting particular here :D

Except for Layla.

:confused:

Blue Sky
Little Martha
Stand Back
All have Duane, and aren't from the Fillmore. Maybe not after the Fillmore, but definitely not recorded there.

imho, Stand Back and Black Hearted Woman were two major architechural masterpieces by the band. I'd sacrifice just to hear them played live again.

Stormy Monday

How Blue Can You Get

Please Call Home

How cool would it have been to hear Duane and B.B. together...

Just worked an Allman Bros show last Sat night,..... had Warren Hayes with them,.. but no Dickey Bettes, altho, I have met both him and Warren several times,... both great personalities and ready to jam at the drop of a hat,..... got picks from both, as well as their Tech,...

'Farmer' He's a real pip himself,.. and VERY good at what he does.....

Been with Warren forever,.. talked to them both last year on a Govt Mule show.....

Tryin to get one of em to come to the fest....

and I'm still workin on some others as well,....

Warren can't, he goes out with the Mule Aug 9th,... but I still have a shot with Robert Randolph,.... He has the lil RED amp I built with him in the studio,... will know next week whether he is using it or not,....

would be a real treat to have him or ANY of the others visit us......

Steve

Back