Alesis Service

MOFO Pro

Opinions are like SM-57s
Just in case anyone is planning on sending any warranteed equipment to Alesis. Looks like they are contracting out all of their repair service. I was in contact with the company that's doing the work and was told that they're currently working on equipment that was recieved at Alesis the beginning of June.

So... Factor in a couple of extra months if you're planning on sending anything in... Or... try to get it to a local authorized dealer (Then again I did send one unit to a local dealer at the same time as the units went to Alesis ... and I haven't heard from them either).

Hurry up and wait,

Steve

Yeah, it depresses me when I hear what the new owner is doing there. It's definitely moving backwards, in my opinion.....

Mike

Just got a call from the repair shop. I sent the units in 6/15/01. You do the math...

Hopefully I'll see them back in a couple of weeks.

(Still no word on the DM-Pro that GC sent out to an authorized repair facility). I can live without the NanoBass & NanoSynth but the mixes sound pretty dull without a drum track. (I do have a DM-5 but the triger sensitivity just doesn't cut it))

Steve

HD24

I spoke to a rep and he tried to get me to order an HD24 because they are in demand. This is true, but I dont want to pay and wait like 3 months for an item, in which I can wait the 3 months and hopefully catch a deal with my good ol' friends at Sam Ash.

There losing it, but I really really really really really really do want that piece

Arrgghhh!!

Swung by GC again today to see if there was any sign of my Dm-Pro that they were having serviced...

This time I spoke to someone who knew what was going on with it. It was sitting in their warehouse because "Alesis went under and we don't know where to send them for repair".

I told the guy that Alesis had not gone "under" and I was, in fact, expecting the units that I sent in to Alesis for repair back within the week. I told him I was pretty upset, I had been in on half a dozen occasions to inquire as to the status, and each time got a "It's not back yet". Not once did anyone say that it hadn't left yet. I've been waiting for over two months for this repair, now I've got to wait at least another two months for the backlog of factory repairs.

I'm not done with them over this yet... but I didn't want to go off half cocked and burn any bridges.

So Mike... ( I'm assuming you'll be cruising by soon)...any idea when Alesis will start shipping Dm-Pros again. I'm thinking that if it's sooner rather than later, I'll bring this unit back to GC and take a new one once they're going out the door.

Do you know any tricks for doing a hard reset on the DM-Pro processor. It's seems as though all of resets documented leave certain parameter untouched.

I'm having problems with the triggers. Channel two keeps cycling with a drum hit every second. I can turn the theshhold up on the unit to cancel the triggering but then the pad's deaf. The hi-hat is reversed, and there were a couple of other things going on. It really seemed like a processor thing to me, but it was the last day of GC 30 day period so I packed it up and sent it in.

I had also gotten a few weird trigger conditions a couple days earlier while working with the 8 MEG flash ram card and some samples. I was able to reset out of that. (I found an undocumented test menu and ran it through all it's paces... it passed them all).

Thanks,

Steve

I just rec'd my new Musicians Friend catalog....

............and noticed that there is not ONE,SINGLE product from
Alesis in it! Not even the XT'x or the LX's! I placed a call to them and was informed that due to the uncerntainty,of Numark/Alesis
customer service,lack of certfiable warranty and overall Company
reliability, ALL Alesis products will not be advertised or sold until
assurances from Alesis are rec'd indicating that they will strongly stand behind thier products.
Wazzup Tim(msstudio1224),I noticed that your Co.,Sammy's, are
not really pushing their Alesis products as the only thing I've seen is Demo models of LX's being sold at $650 with hrs from 5-18 and no XT's,BRC's or pc-card (though they are overstocked with ADAT tapes; BASF and Quantegy <the cheap 1's>). As an Owner of 2 X's and 2 L's this toubles me as I am REALLY lookin' forward to burn my mun-ee on the Alesis h24 and dumping 2 adats.

I have NEVER had a prob with my ADATS or Alesis as they are central to my recording process, but with all this uncertainty, it makes 1 consider dumping Alesis altogether,and jump ship to
*aghast* Roland!!?? Mackie HDR24, TASCAM mx!!??,P-C recording!!?? (I work with computers all day; when I get home it's the last thing I want to work with!).

Come-on Alesis, don't let a brutha' down!!!

Peace
Mr.Q

I feel you man

Maaaaan, you couldnt have said it better, I've been waiting for the HD24 so that I can eleviate space, not that my three really bother me but far as the tracking choruses, cut & paste feature, is what got me.

I hope they dont let me down, but Sammy's has, I'm outta here
August 29th, they have been jerking a brother on money to damn long, I bring in $90,000 sales, and my boss wants to pass it to the ELDER mu-fu cause I didnt have seniority ---KISS MY ASS--
cause I'm the young gun and have more clients and know more people ((especially young & well off cats)) dont shi___ on me saying I dont have enough years behind me, so I wont get the commission. The inside of this company is all B.S., the pay sucks (not mine) but everyone elses, their business skills suck, they dont teach employees -- people skills, half of those guys on 48th street store (EXCEPT SHAHEED & CHI) are unclean, unwiped, assholes.

The only thing they push is PRO-TOOLS, anyone else using anything besides that are looked at as peasants, ((you should hear what they say about customers after they make a non PRO-TOOLS purchase)) or purchase a unit, in which they know you have to come back and buy the addition piece to make that work.

I can tell you stories man, STO----RIES, and believe me when I say (MINUS ME, SHAHEED & CHI) they are not the brightest mu-fu's in the world either, they may know more, due to cause it's their job --- but if the average consumer reads, you can know just about the same as they do, most of them are reliving old ass stories about when they were in it to win it.

MisterQCue --- sorry to let my feeling pour out -- I'm just waiting for a damn HD24, if not by end of September I may spring for a Mackie MDR24/96 at $2000 also, the mini version of the HDR24/96
But it's a limited time, expiring October 31st 2001 Holla....

MoFo, you should go to GC and ask to speak to the store manager and no one else. I'm sure he or she will help you out.

I think the HD24 is slated for Oct, not Sept.

Re the DMPRO, I have no idea. Best to call Alesis. Use the 310-255-3400 number; I do not know if the 800 number is still working.

Regarding the MF catalog, don't forget those things are not done overnight; they have 3-4 months lead time. Hell, 3 or 4 months ago, a lot of us were still working at Alesis. Dealers do not want to include Alesis until the dust settles. Can't blame them, but it does not help the rumors....kind of vicious circle when you think about it.

Mike

Thanks Mike...

But one of my problems is one of the store managers was involved in this screw-up. It gets a bit touchy complaining to a manager about the service that you got from him.

It all started the day that I got the monthly circular from GC and noticed the Alesis gear blowout. They had the DM-Pro listed for $300. I wanted to get there ASAP to get a hold of one of these before they were all gone.

I pulled up to the store about an hour and a half before they opened and one of the managers let me in to see if he could track down one of these units for me. He took my money and got on the phone to some of the other stores. I left with the assurance that he could get one for me in a couple of days. He said there were about a dozen new ones around the country. When I came back two days later there was a demo unit with a QC date of 1998. I asked him if he could find a newer one and he said that was the last one in the country and he had over-nighted it from somewhere out west. I took the demo and when I got it home it seemed to work fine.

I was back in the store in the drum section looking at trigger pads about a week later and I happened to hear one of the sales people on the phone talking about selling a DM-Pro. After he hung up I went over and asked him if they had any at the store, he told me the one he was talking on the phone was on layaway but he looked it up in the computer and told me there were about ten of them still available. So what's up with that?

I guess my biggest beef here is that I paid for a new DM-Pro (at a discount price, but it was still the price of a new unit), I got a three year old demo. When I voice concern about the reliability of the product because of it's age, I was told it was the last one in the country, and then found out later, that really wasn't the case. Then the unit go belly up on me on day thirty, I bring it back to GC for the warrantee repair, I'm told that it's sent out, I return on half a dozen occasions to inquire into the status, and not until two months later does anyone tell me that it never left the warehouse.

I guess in a nutshell, I'm just really tired of dealing with the people at guitar center and the whole attitude that they bring to the job. I once brought back a Tascam TM-D1000 because there was a scratch on the face of the board. You should have seen the eye rolling, and smirks between the sales people as they opened another box so that I could check it out before I took the second one home. I just can't believe they would accept the same scratch on a board that they were bringing home for the employee discount price. I do have to say that there are individuals that I regularly deal with that treat me very well.. (they're just not there 24/7... sometimes you just have to deal with who's there).

Well, that kind of steered right off topic, Eh?

Just had to vent, those of you familiar with me understand that this is an all too frequent occurrence.

I’m trying to become the first poster to make expert user by word-count alone.

I’ll give Alesis a call tomorrow. Thanks for the phone number.

Wow... This board sure has grown quiet!!

Skipped Alesis today and call directly into the repair company that's handling their warrantee service. The woman I spoke to told me to wait a week and try them back again. They're within days of signing a contract to handle all of the factory service. As soon as that happens I can ship it directly to them and she said she'd turn it right around to me.

Things are starting to look up... Now I've got to track down the sales slip

I feel your pain, MoFo.....GC is not the only dealer who is guilty of bad attitudes, though, and you are right, it's not ALL the folks working there. You need to find a salesperson you like and stick with him/her. The more loyalty you show a salesperson, the more they will bend over backwards for you. I see it every day. How? 'Cause I took a gig with GC in Fountain Valley (CA) doing Pro Audio sales. I got lucky: the crew is really cool there and the store manager has a TOTAL "customer care" attitude. If he didn't, I would not have taken the position. We hear from customers almost daily that our store is different from some others in that regard, and they drive longer to come to us......plus, we can do phone orders.......;)

Keep posting about the DMPro....

Mike

So... phone orders eh?

Next time you're in work... could you check to see whether there are any DM-Pros listed anywhere? I'd buy another (for $300) and then just return this one in Massachusetts.

Oh...BTW I got a message yesterday that my NanoSynth & NanoBass are both winging their way back to me as we speak.

Thanks for all of your help Mike,

Steve

DMPro

Hi, Steve,

It's been a busy few days; sorry I did not see your message sooner. I will definitely check when I get to work today (I work 2-10 pm). If I find nothing I will call Alesis and see when they plan to ship DMPros again.

Stay tuned!

Mike

The PCR card work just about okay, for about 2 minutes at a time....that is with 256MB of Ram, 800MHz processor, SCSI Ultra2 LVD, and no IRQ conflicts at all.

It is just a sorry design for the way they intended it to work. Sloppy hardware to driver implementaion.

Ed

Sonusman
I dont get it. I had 600mhz, 7200rpm ide hard drive, 128 ram and my card worked all the time. All the music I have uploaded to the net was sent to the computer via the card and edited with no problems??
Maybe its the amd, ha and my cheap system??
I did upgrade to 384mb of ram though.

Thanks Mike.

I'm just in the waiting mode right now. Of course I think I'd prefer a new unit in exchange for the two year old demo that I'm sitting on now, but anything that work is fine by me. I'd love to know how the GC/Alesis relationship is doing now. If we were close on some shipping dates then I think I'd wait it out. Go down and talk to one of the managers about waiting for the exchange. I fear that most of the staff are working on getting the harddisc recorder out the door before Mackie kills them with their own.

Keep me posted... and thanks so much for your help with this. You may just change everyones opinions on GC now.

Steve

The Nano Bass & the Nano Synth arrived today. Hey...they're not world class but you get what you pay for. I'm definetly impressed with the company that's doing warentee work for Alesis. They turned them around fairly quickly after recieving them, and even shipped new Wall Warts with the units.

Still waiting for GCs next move as far as the DM-Pro is concerned. I really miss it, the DM-5 just doesn't compare after using the pro.

Hey Mike- I spoke to one of the local GC managers out here on the east coast and he's said they're waiting on some new shipments. You got the inside scoop for me?

Steve

Back