Alesis MultiMix 16 USB, can it multitrack or not?

TheComposer

I've been looking and looking, some say they don't, some say they do, even in the official website if you look from Google, they redirect you to different "Multimix 16" models.

Anyway, I really want to buy one of those to record everything properly (I'm talking about drums!!), besides I'd like to play live and record, etc, etc.

So, can this mixer multitrack??

Alesis MultiMix 16 USB FX PA Mixer | eBay

No it looks from the website and googling that this one just does stereo on the USB.
I own the previous model - Alesis Multimix 16 USB 2.0 and it does do 16 tracka at the same time via USB. But they look to be scarce - none on ebay that I can see.

http://www.alesis.com/multimix16usb20

Yeah, I'm really looking for the Multimix 16 USB 2.0

Regarding why I'd like a mixer instead of interface, is just for live situations perhaps?, I think it's more convenient, maybe it's the same??

Anyway, I guess I can be more flexible about it, I don't really know about interfaces, so should I get 2 interfaces and connect them together to have 16 channels?

Use a mixer for live use. Use an audio interface for recording. Most USB mixers are only 16 bit, stereo (2 tracks, left and right), and the A-D converter tends to be noisy when the volume is cranked and typically does not offer a good track monitoring hookup when recording.

Here's the quicklist.
Apogee 8x8+8
Behringer UMC1820
Focusrite Scarlet 18i20, Saphire Pro 40 or Liquid Saphire 56
Mackie Onyx Blackbird
MoTU 8pre
PreSonus 1818VSL
Steinberg UR824
all have 8 mike preamps and ADAT to daisy chain two units if you need 16
Roland Studio Capture has 12 mike preamps.
Check out the comparison chart sticky at Forum > General Discussions > Newbies

Use a mixer for live use. Use an audio interface for recording. Most USB mixers are only 16 bit, stereo (2 tracks, left and right), and the A-D converter tends to be noisy when the volume is cranked and typically does not offer a good track monitoring hookup when recording.

The Alesis is fine for recording whether it's in your house or live. 24–bit, 44.1 to 96 kHz operation with high–end A/D and D/A conversion through an integrated USB 2.0 Audio interface
There's lots of good mixers that can be used for recording so don't dismiss them all outright.

Thanks for the list Broken!!, I'll check it out.

Just like they said, I can see myself in the future playing a live gig while recording the whole thing, and even offering the service to some bands around the city.

Back