Alesis 3630 in a live situation

gaffa

Recalcitrant Member
Everybody seems to regard the 3630 with disdain 'cos it colours the sound, but just how bad is it? (yeah I know, how green is green... all very subjective, but I've got to ask)

I need a compressor that I can use for live sound, but it would be handy to have a decent one for recording.

The 3630's are within my price range secondhand (AUS$200-$300), but not much else seems to be. Is there anything else out there that would do the job for the same kind of shekels?

[This message has been edited by gaffa (edited 03-08-2000).]

A Behringer Composer can be got for aroung $250 new, and it is a much better compressor than the Alesis 3630.

Ed

Thanks guys, but you've got to remember I'm not is the US, and the currency conversion sucks, so the Behringer Composer, while a steal at $200US is actually more like AUS$500 in my shitty currency. I'm sure Cooperman understands the problem fully :)...

I had a look at a Composer, and it looks alright (although I didn't actually have much of a clue what I was looking for). I think I'll look round for a second hand one...

[This message has been edited by gaffa (edited 03-11-2000).]

Out of 7 rack compressors, my 3630 is the very last resort. Not only does it color the sound, but it also has a nasty habit of distorting signals. I have the Behringer Autocom and even though it is one my cheaper units, it's my fav. Good luck.

<B>I BOUGHT THE 3630 COMPRESSOR BRAND NEW FOR ABOUT A YARD AND I AM TOTALLY DEPRESSED.
COULD HAVE USED THAT 100 TO BUY A NEW PAIR OF
SHOES. I USE THE IT NOW ONLY FOR COMPREESING SIGNALS GOING TO MY OLD TAPE DECK TO PLAY ON
MY DAUGHTERS BOOM BOX!

Back