AKG414's or Josephson c42's?

sbcgroup2

I'm gonna be using a pair of one or the other primarily as drum overheads. However, it would also be cool to use them on other applications like acoustic guitar, room mics, etc.

In reading the "Diaphragm size/polar pattern" tutorial, it seems like the Josephson's are the way to go for what I am looking for.

Any plus or minuses on comparing the two?

You have asked a very tough question, as both mics are very, very, versatile. Either one would do what you want, and no complaints. I favor the 414's because of their multiple polar patterns and multi-stage pads and bass cuts. Small diaphragm mics excel at fast transient handling, which is a good thing for drum overheads. Both mics have been used as drum overheads, instrument mics, and remote ensemble stereo recording with more than acceptable professional results. I guess I prefer the 414's because of the reasons mentioned above, and because what the hell? You can even sing into them. As the 414's have been used longer by more pro studios, the 414's are easier to resell, if it ever comes to that. The conservative buyer in me likes that. It is a very tough call, though. Either pair would be a worthy addition to any microphone cabinet. Best of luck. You can't go wrong either way.-Richie

Re:

Any more opinions? I like the 414 versatility...but as Big Kenny says, I think the Josephsons suit my needs better....

sbcgroup2 said:
Any more opinions? I like the 414 versatility...but as Big Kenny says, I think the Josephsons suit my needs better....

my .02...

The 414's

Re:

mrT said:
my .02...

The 414's

Elaborate!:)

I really want to buy the 414's cause they're so cool looking and multi-function wise, but.....I dunno if they're the best choice for my apps.

I have used them both. The 414s are better for drums in my opinion hands down. I bought a pair of the xls' and prefer them to the soundelux U 195s.
more choices in the polar patterns. They also sound a little bit bigger. I use the "overheads" to get he whole kit then add the other mics which may be different than what you do. They also work well on acoustic guitars.

Good luck

eric

Re:

edyer said:
I have used them both. The 414s are better for drums in my opinion hands down. I bought a pair of the xls' and prefer them to the soundelux U 195s.
more choices in the polar patterns. They also sound a little bit bigger. I use the "overheads" to get he whole kit then add the other mics which may be different than what you do. They also work well on acoustic guitars.

Good luck

eric

So you're using them w/2 other lower positioned condenser mics similar to the Josephsons:) Right now I have a pair of AKG c1000s'. I guess I could use those in combination w/the 414's.... It seems the 1000's aren't very good though...

As for my large diaphragms, I only have a Blue Baby Bottle which I use on vocals. So I guess the 414's could give me other options in that regard as well....

I use them either down low ( 1 over the snare high hat in wide mode and 1 over the floor toms in wide mode) with tom mics, kik and snare, or I use them in an x/y just over my head and pointing slightly forward with a pair of SR77s wide and in front. Not always though. I'm always moving them around to get them to sound the way I want.
The SR77s are completely different animals and sound a little smaller and tighter. The josephsens, in my room, sounded too thin. So did AKG 451s.
Overall I have had better luck with the large condensors. (sp?)
The room is pretty well designed for recording drums and live instruments and was built for it. One thing that has made a difference is traps in all the corners and some in strategic locations on the walls.( trial and error)
Have you tried the blue bottle solo as an overhead?

Eric

Re:

edyer said:
I use them either down low ( 1 over the snare high hat in wide mode and 1 over the floor toms in wide mode) with tom mics, kik and snare, or I use them in an x/y just over my head and pointing slightly forward with a pair of SR77s wide and in front. Not always though. I'm always moving them around to get them to sound the way I want.
The SR77s are completely different animals and sound a little smaller and tighter. The josephsens, in my room, sounded too thin. So did AKG 451s.
Overall I have had better luck with the large condensors. (sp?)
The room is pretty well designed for recording drums and live instruments and was built for it. One thing that has made a difference is traps in all the corners and some in strategic locations on the walls.( trial and error)
Have you tried the blue bottle solo as an overhead?

Eric

No, but initially I was thinking that I should maybe pick up another Bottle and try them as stereo OH's. I know they have other mics as well but don't know of any who are using them as OH's, etc.

sbcgroup2 said:
Elaborate!:)

It's a workhorse mics you won't ever want to sell. They sound at least acceptable on just about anything and excellent on a lot of things. I've never thought that the transient response was all that lacking on drums either. Certainly an SDC would have a better response but it's not anything you'll miss when you consider how much you'll use them for everything.

and they're just cooler looking... ;)

mrT said:
Certainly an SDC would have a better response but it's not anything you'll miss when you consider how much you'll use them for everything.

I'm not sure that you can say all SDCs have better transient resposes. Thickness of the diaphragm as well as the quality of the components will have an effect on the ability of a mic to do it's thing.

Re:

edyer said:
I'm not sure that you can say all SDCs have better transient resposes. Thickness of the diaphragm as well as the quality of the components will have an effect on the ability of a mic to do it's thing.

Meaning? The 414's have better quality components?

Re:

mrT said:
It's a workhorse mics you won't ever want to sell. They sound at least acceptable on just about anything and excellent on a lot of things. I've never thought that the transient response was all that lacking on drums either. Certainly an SDC would have a better response but it's not anything you'll miss when you consider how much you'll use them for everything.

What are some of the things they would excel at compaired to the SDC's?

I think I've gathered that the SDC's would be the choice for detail on acoustic guitars, drum OH's, congas, etc. I don't have any piano, etc. I know the two types of mics paint a different picture, etc.... Room mic'ing?

I'm keeping an eye on this thread, I'm wondering the same thing, for the money, I tell myself the c42s will be good, but I'm thinking in terms of a good vocal mic, so I think hte 414 would be better.

They will both sound great. Don't worry about it too much. If you can't see yourself buying more mics down the road, then just buy the AKG 414s and be done with it.

You won't be sorry either way.

sbcgroup2 said:
Meaning? The 414's have better quality components?

No I was trying to say that a person should not get hung up on what a certain type of mic is supposed to do. Ribbon mics shouldn't be as good with transients as an sdc but they can be great. An sdc behringer will not be as good as an ldc soundelux etc etc. There are too many things to consider. You just can't say that all sdcs will be better at transients. I'm sure the C42s are built from high quality parts. They are great little microphones.

I guess what I was really getting at is that you have to try them and figure out what works and what does not.

There are other peices to the puzzle as well. The pre amp you use could be slower than a frozen slug and that has an effect. It could be clean and very capable of catching drums. One example would be to compare the earthworks pre to a soundcraft ghost. The ghost sounds a little fatter, the earthworks sounds cleaner both have their place. Both use good components. They have a different sound. The focusrite isa 428 has a variable input impedence. The same pre with the same mic can sound quite a bit different just by making that adjustment.

Last edited:
Back