AKG D112 vs Shure Beta 52

Try to find a used RE20 thats about five years old(in good shape of course) They moved to a new production location and I have been hearing that the older ones sounded better. I have not experienced this for myself but have heard from many people

Blue Bear Sound said:
DJL - you missed my comment:

I haven't used an SM7 myself on kick - but Rev E's summation of my point was exactly what I was trying to say........!
Oh ok, thank you Blue Bear Sound.

I've tried my SM7 on kick and didn't care for it because it crapped out.

Anyways, thanks again Blue Bear Sound, I always enjoy your mnessages.

Substance, I use the D112 for the majority of my kick drum tracking and would consider it one of my must-have mics. I have been using it long enough that I feel confortable enough to use it in almost any style of music. IMO placement has more to do with the difference between the D112 and the Beta 52 than just the mics characteristics. Obviously, they are different sounding mics, but if you learn to place the mic properly, based on what you are trying to accomplish, you should be able to get great results with either. I think you'll really like the D112!

Blue Bear Sound said:
I couldn't find an SPL rating for the SM7, but as long as the source is under level, then there should be no problem over time. It's when the SPL ratings are exceeded that you can damage the capsule's diaphragm.
I think the Shure SM7 is about 180 dB SPL which is why I don't understand why the SM7 craps out on kick... any ideas? Thanks again.

Maybe it was your pre's electronics crapping out? If the SPL is 180, there's no way it was the mic diaphragm's excursion limits being pushed.

I don't remember which preamp I was using... I'll have to try it again with my Great River pre or something... anyway, thanks again.

DJL said:
Rev E, you don't really expect me to help you, do you?

FWIW, I don't have an SM7. I've used one in the past on vox and couldn't imagine it on kick. BUT, given Blue Bear's suggestion and your real-world test, I wanted to know what you found out about it as a kick mic. So...my question again: is it that you just don't like the sound or is the mic really crapping out?

As far as helping ME (per se), I don't have much of an interest in the question. I have a couple kick mics that I own and use. My question was for the benefit of the board...especially given that you claimed to have actually tried the mic on kick. If you've got a personal axe to grind, I'm not interested. My interest is in audio, recording and making music. I'm sure there are lot of folks on the board who want this question answered.

If and when someone who hasn't been attacking me wants to know I'll tell them.... until then, you can go jump in a lake dude.

DJL said:
If and when someone who hasn't been attacking me wants to know I'll tell them.... until then, you can go jump in a lake dude.

Like I said DJL, "If you've got a personal axe to grind, I'm not interested. My interest is in audio..." I've called you on legitimate issues. Perhaps you should go back an reread all 700+ of my posts:D , including the small handful directed at you on legitimate audio-related issues or when I felt that your clear prejudice was misleading folks... as to truth.

I'm not out to get you as you may perceive. But if you've taken anything that I've said personally...I can't help that.

Rev E said:
Like I said DJL, "If you've got a personal axe to grind, I'm not interested. My interest is in audio..." I've called you on legitimate issues. Perhaps you should go back an reread all 700+ of my posts:D , including the small handful directed at you on legitimate audio-related issues or when I felt that your clear prejudice was misleading folks... as to truth.

I'm not out to get you as you may perceive. But if you've taken anything that I've said personally...I can't help that.
Fuck off.

I have used an SM7 on kik...more than once....I could never get it to sound really tight unless I used it outside the drum on the pedal side.I used it as basically a secondary mic.It will work just fine on a jazz kit with the front head on and no hole though there are better choices to be made. In my experience with it, it doesnt do well with the air 'puff' from inside a kik drum. I dont believe its the capsule crapping, it just doesnt seem to like the sudden air burst..But like I said its not your standard 'overdriven' diaphram kind of sound...Its 'Best' use is,of course, on a strident male/female vocal or on a voice that has incredible amounts of overtones and harmonics...like a gameshow announcer.

cavedog101 said:
I have used an SM7 on kik...more than once....I could never get it to sound really tight unless I used it outside the drum on the pedal side.I used it as basically a secondary mic.It will work just fine on a jazz kit with the front head on and no hole though there are better choices to be made. In my experience with it, it doesnt do well with the air 'puff' from inside a kik drum. I dont believe its the capsule crapping, it just doesnt seem to like the sudden air burst..But like I said its not your standard 'overdriven' diaphram kind of sound...Its 'Best' use is,of course, on a strident male/female vocal or on a voice that has incredible amounts of overtones and harmonics...like a gameshow announcer.
Maybe that's it, I thought mine was crapping out, but maybe it's just the air. Have you tried a pop filter, and if so did that seem to work? I'll have to try a filter and see what happens. Thanks for the tip.

Ok, it was the air... and the SM7 seems to work best on a kick with a no hole in the front head... or without any front head and with a pop filter... but, it's not a very good sounding kick mic IMO.

Back