Akg C2000b

i don't have one myselfe, but from what i've read around here they tend to be a little bright, but some people like that.

take that with a grain of salt

This is a worthy mic. Its well constructed and uses quality components. It is the only piece of gear I have ever opened that used a Burr Brown opamp. Its good on vocals and amp micing. I do not find it overly bright but everyone has differing expectations for their gear. They can be found on ebay. I found it similar to the now vanished MC012 without the heavy color.

Bob

I think there are better at that price point
Depending on your usage
CAD m179
SP C3
ADK Hamburg (have not used myself)
Audio Technica 40__ (4033, 4040, 4047)

Coupla bucks more
SM7
NTK
EV RE20
Senn 441
Groove Tubes MD 1b

Richie and Bob like the akg, they know what they are talking about.
I've not had success with it so I sold mine

I have the C2000b and I am a little dissapointed. The rode NT1a sounds way better on lead vocals and is less expensive. On guitar amp I use an Apex 770 (80$) and the C2000b to mix both sounds but If I had to choose between the 2 i'd take the apex... (for guitar only though). The C2000b is awesome on back vocals, saxophone and percussion (especially snare drum). On lead vocals it is good for a women's voice. The trick to get decent lead vocal sound with this mike is to sing very very close to it (with a pop stopper). I did not try it on a piano, but it is supposed to be good.

I dream of an at4040 or a rode NTK...

lapieuvre

First, I would say that Kenny has compared it to mics costing more. Only the CAD M179 is price-compareable. It's basically $180 with the really nice H100 shock mount, or $150 without the shock. I think comparing it to Oktava MC012 is spot on. I don't think it is bright at all, but it does have some color to it. Note that it is a *small diaphragm* condenser, with a 1/2" diaphragm. It's larger housing makes it look like a large diaphragm mic. As such, it only works for singers that can handle an SD mic. I agree that it shines on female voices, especially good ones. It responds very well to fast transients, and it will suck big time on a singer that sucks big time.
It is an outstanding percussion mic, especially toms and Djembe, and when padded, it's a pretty good close mic for a cab. It rocks on standup bass, and is very good on violin, viola, cello, fiddle, banjo, and sax. AKG engineers consider it the best AKG mic made on toms, better than a 414, which is a studio standard on toms. It can be OK on acoustic, but it is sometimes too colored and not detailed enough for really good acoustics. It smooths out the edges of a nasty cheap guitar quite well. A pair of them are stunning as rock overheads, like the Oktavas but more open. For $150 or so, they are a flat out winner. I've used them on harp, piano, almost everything, at one time or another. They aren't that clean, and they aren't that accurate. If you are looking for a real neutral mic, look elsewhere. But, they work for good singers, bad guitars, and almost anything that you smack.
How much you use it depends on what other mics you have. If you are poor, you can use it on practically anything. I'll admit, since I have acquired a fair number of mics, its uses are fewer. It still sees a lot of use for vocals, especially backing vox, and it remains my best mic on toms and djembe.-Richie

Back