Akg C-414

Strange Leaf

Could anyone tell me the differences of the various C-414 models ? There's the TLII, the ULS and God knows what else.

I know one of the models are intended for vocals, and the other for instruments.... but which is which ?

The models I am familiar with are B-ULS, TLII, and EB. The discontinued EB, which is highly regarded, and the TLII, use a capsule that is "based on" (whatever that means) the capsule of the C12, AKG's flagship (read pricey) main vocal mic. The TLII is a transformerless design, biased by design for use as a vocal mic, and opinions are *very* divided on B-ULS vs. TLII. The B-ULS uses a transformer, and I don't know about the EB.
Let me say this, though, I have used both the B-ULS and TLII. I've never gotten to use an EB. Both of the current mics are *great* mics, and either would be a welcome addition to the mic cabinet of either a project or pro studio. In the end, I bought the B-ULS because of price and availability, and it is the go-to acoustic guitar and instrument mic of this studio, and God, I wish I owned another one. If you want to hear my use of it on acoustic, listen to "Requiem" on the link below. Both guitars were recorded with a single B-ULS on the 12th fret:

www.nowhereradio.com/artists/?aid=3239/album680

My personal preference is for the B-ULS as an instrument mic. I don't find either model particularly useful as a vocal mic for me, but either one can sound *great* on the right vocalist. But if you're looking for a mic to put up on almost anything, the 414 is probably a good choice. It's been used here for acoustic guitar, piano, violin, toms, snare, harp, as an amp mic, and it has shone in all of those roles. The B-ULS is simply the most versatile mic I own.-Richie

I've really been jonesing for one of these lately. I'm pretty happy with my vocal mics, and the BULS would seem to fit the bill of "the mic you use on most anything else". I also love the sound of LD condensers on acoustic guitar and mandolin.

Thanks for the info Richie. I always read your posts with interest because you always have something worthwhile to say. Plus, you and I both like the C2000B, and the measure of genius is how much someone agrees with you. :D

I've really been jonesing for one of these lately. I'm pretty happy with my vocal mics, and the BULS would seem to fit the bill of "the mic you use on most anything else". I also love the sound of LD condensers on acoustic guitar and mandolin.

Thanks for the info Richie. I always read your posts with interest because you always have something worthwhile to say. Plus, you and I both like the C2000B, and the measure of genius is how much someone agrees with you. :D

Thanks for your kind words. Great minds think alike. But don't listen to me- go listen to the songs. Virtually all the steel string acoustic on every song, and the harp on "The Woodsman's Lay" were recorded with a single C414B-ULS- no EQ, no reverb, no compression.-Richie

Thanks for the link. I was thinking of the C414 as a utility condenser, so I guess the B-ULS is the way to go.

Thanks again. :)

Thanks for the link. I was thinking of the C414 as a utility condenser, so I guess the B-ULS is the way to go.

Thanks again. :)

I have two original P-48 EB C414s in the new studio and a B-ULS. Since ive been working on all the paper work still with this new studio deal, i havnt had a chance to get down and dirty with the equipment. But when i do, i will check them out and give you my opinion with the two.

I really wonna compare these on acoustic guitar with the Neumann KM-184s for some reason. I will let you know how that goes to.

Danny

I have two original P-48 EB C414s in the new studio and a B-ULS. Since ive been working on all the paper work still with this new studio deal, i havnt had a chance to get down and dirty with the equipment. But when i do, i will check them out and give you my opinion with the two.

I really wonna compare these on acoustic guitar with the Neumann KM-184s for some reason. I will let you know how that goes to.

Danny

FYI,

AKG has released a new version of the C414B called the ULS/SE. It uses the transformer from the ULS, but uses the diaphragm of the TLII/C12. Looks like it's only being offered as a stereo set, but includes shockmounts, a T-Bar, windscreens and a case. The package is selling for $1800 at Sweetwater and MacMidi, but I was able to find it for $1300 at Kraft Music.

I think I might have to grab a set for myself.

Back