AHHHHH HELP (confused)

Sofisticated

aite ive been looking all around dooing my home work on various setups...........couple of questions can u please answer

ok.1. what is a pre amp used for.....is it nessesary?? if i get a little bheringer mixer will it be the same quality as the pre amp itself.......and what else is needed if i get the preamp and a sm-57 mic......

2. max money spent for a mic and the mixer/preamp.........300.....what are your combos for excelent sound in that range........i heard the 57 is very good with a vtb-1 pre in another thread........earlier i was thinkin about a mxl v93m with a bheringer mixer........bout 300 total........what u think of that combo....

damn thats like 1243553 questions but i am such a newbie at the microphone and premp/mixer aspect of recording im such a dunce......thanks for your help

Sof -

Your microphone puts out a very weak (on the order of millivolts) signal that needs to be amplified quite a bit before it can be recorded, or processed, or mixed, or...whatever. That's where the pre-amp comes in. The pre-amp brings the signal up to what is usually referred to as "line level". Once a signal is at line level it can be input to a mixer or recorder or any number of other devices that operate on line level signals.

Your Behringer mixer probably has pre-amps, if it has XLR inputs for some of the channels, a microphone plugged into the XLR jack will be routed through the pre-amp, amplified to line level, and then mixed with whatever other signals you have going to the mixer.

As far as the the relative quality and price point for various microphones and pre-amps, you need to first define what it is you are going to do with them. A Shure SM-57 is most often used for miking guitar cabinets because it can stand a lot of sound pressure. It can also be used for miking acoustic instruments and vocals but is probably not the most ideal microphone for these applications - however, many people do use it for these things and are quite satisfied. The VTB-1 is a fine pre-amp and will work with the SM-57 and other microphones. Use the search engine to get more detailed info on the SM-57 and VTB-1.

My advice is, if all you're doing is recording electric guitar cabinets, a SM-57/VTB-1 combo is a fine choice. If you are also going to record acoustic instruments, think about buying a small condenser mic like the the oktava MC-012 or Marshall MXL-603. For vocals you will want to start looking at large condenser microphones.

YMMV

dang bro thanks for the help wow i owe u one that helped me alot........i am hust planing on useing it with vocals no instruments........is the sm-57 and vtb-1 still a good combo.........

Most people will say it depends on what sort of vocals you're doing.

SM-57 will work for any style of music but is probably most appropriate for rock or rap, any style where their is a lot roughness, loudness, grittiness to the vocals.

If your recording some quiet, gentle ballads where you want to capture the nuances of a singer's voice, a large condenser microphone is better way to go.

The SM-57 and VTB-1 should be a great place to start. very versatile and the price is right!

i have a behringher mixer and the marshall mxl v93 and have been very happy with the results for the price.........

oo ya i was thinkin about gettin the marshall mxl 93m i think it not only looks good but preforms good too for 150........but then again i could be wrong........

peace

The money on a VTB-1 would be well spent.
Another condenser to consider for about $80(!) is the Studio Projects B1.

If you get these at www.bpmmusic.com they were offering free
shipping for the VTB-1, maybe they could put a B1 in the package
too without charging you for extra shipping-worth asking if you
also want a nice condenser.

Chris

P.S. The SM-57 works just fine on my voice for ballads!

I have a Behringer 802A mixer and it's fine to use as a patchbay,
or a headphone amp.

Otherwise you'd be better off getting quality items like the VTB-1.
If you need to get a pretty good mixer in the future, you could at
least get one of the Mackie VLZ Pro series. Their quality control is
far superior to Behringer's.
If you're recording to a computer though, a mixer is less important
for basic home recording (although I prefer having one!).

Chris

It depends on whether you want versatility or quality. The Behringer, even the wicked small ones like MXB1002 ($118) offers a wide variety of ins and outs, parametric EQ (battery powered, if necessary), and could be a great learning tool. The VTB-1 will simply give you better sound on 2 things, quite a bit better than the small mixer. Also VTB-1 will come with well made components and *great* customer support. I'm not a shill, but I've had to take a problem to Studio Projects and they bent over backwards 170 degrees to make it right. If you're really, really really sure you're recording vocals, not instruments, be sure you know what kind of vocals we're talking about. For spoken, rap, hip-hop, Reggae, and some blues, the 57 isn't bad, although I'd choose the SM58 and pay the $20- Still under $300 with the VTB-1 (a cable? tax/shipping. On the other hand, if you are recording one really good vocal, get a condenser mic and make a pop filter with an embroidery hoop and pantyhose. There are several $100 or less large diaphragm mics from Marshall, Studio Projects,Oktava, that will work. No matter what it is, you know you'll want more gear and better gear later.
I believe that if your budget is severely limited, you have to do less better. Define the job and choose the equipment to do that. The 57 is a versatile stage mic good for guitar cabs, and is an acceptable auxiliary mic for drums, especially toms and snares. It is no great shakes as a vocal mic. Try Studio Projects B-1, $79 at macmidimusic. Best of luck.-Richie

BTW-Phyl- Great post!

hey man i was thinkin about that..........but isnt there aready a preamp thing in the external box that comes with the platinum ex sound card.........just bought the card a couple of weeks ago......hmmm but anyways what other components do i need to make the mic work itf its just the stand alone mic and shock mount........sorry fo the newbieness but you guys are helping me understand alot...........

Don't know about your platinum ex breakout box, check the box or users manual, it it has a pre-amp it will be listed.

Only other components I can think of are cable and mic stand.

I think you're all set!

hahaha i heard that it picks up a good signal.............but ya not sure what imma doo yet..........went to the store today and tried a few mics.......im most definatly gonna get the mxl v93m.........and maybe a akg condenser for 140 (not sure of the model)...........ill find out when i purchace the mxl in a couple of weeks along with all the accessories (mic stand caple and pop filter).......still thinkin on a pre amp not sure........maybe a 80 dollar art tube preamp......

phyl, so, u mean it would be a great deal to buy a sm57 becouse it would fit on recording instruments AND vocals??
ps.: i sing rock also.... so from what u said i think sm57 is a good choice for me....

and PLEASE, could u explain me whats that PREAMP thing? i mean... is it a thing u have to buy separated from the mic? im goin to buy a mic tomorrow, i think im goin for a sm57 but this whole preamp, phantom power thing... it confuses me a lot ://

please, im really interested in getting to know all these stuff, im planning on making a home studio, if anyone wanna help ... id appreciate.

Thx.
Marcos.

Marcos, try a search on preamp and newbie. Mics produce weak signals, too weak to record. You need a preamp, either in the sound card, in the recorder, in a mixer, or a separate outboard unit. The preamp will be a major factor in your sound you get. Better ones produce less noise, and they have different characters, like different guitar amplifiers, or different mics. They can be pretty cheap, as in a small mixer, or wicked expensive, as in Avalon,Grace,Focusrite,Neve, and Great River.
Most home studios will start with a mixer for a bunch of cheap channels for stuff like drums, and a separate preamp for 1 or 2 better channels for delicate stuff like vocals and acoustic instruments. Condenser mics need power supplied to them, called phantom power (because there's no battery in the mic). Usually a mixer or preamp will supply that, but most lower level soundcards and recorders won't.
Phantom power is not strong enough to feed the vacuum tube (valve) in a tube mic, so it comes with its own power supply, and doesn't need phantom power. Dynamic mics, like SM57 and ribbon mics also, don't need phantom power. They tend to be less sensitive, and that can be good or bad, depending on the job. The SM57 is a very good dynamic mic for cheap, and I think most people here would agree that it is a pretty good choice for a first mic. But somewhere, in the card, the mixer, the recorder, or in a separate box, there has to be a preamp. In general, a better preamp = better sound. Hope this helps.-Richie

Back