Ahh..That feels better....

Ever have a song you just needed to get out of your system?
Whew, tell me about it:) . Damn crawdaddy i could sit and listen to you all night long man. Loved the words to this, and that "voice" wow. Glad ya got this out of your system...feels good eh? Hey my oldest is in Xray tech school and they had a big crawfish boil or some shit like that:D , but she brought me a T shirt home last week that said "who's yer crawdaddy" freakin nice T man, i'll get ya one if you'll let me:) awesome tune Al.

Hey Freshears! Thanks for listening! I know I'm not real mainstream these days, but I appreciate that. The T-shirt sounds really cool! Are you serious? I'd love one!

Very nice, and what feeling on the vox. Got any more you need to get out. We'll all be waiting.
Thanks for sharing the opportunity to hear that with me.

Peace
Bill

OK, second listen now....

I don't hear much that needs tweaking in here. It's too late for me to crank up the big monitors though. It sounds fine on the med & small ones. Did you track the vocal on this with your AT?

Kind of a stock tune music-wise, but the words hit home & your performance is great as usual.

Thanks for sharing, dad.:D

The mix could use some work, but the song sucks so bad, I don't think I'd bother.

(do I have to actually TYPE that I'm kidding)...lol.

Man, your vocal on this (sonically) is SUPERB...quick, short, sharp Sss's, it's bright, clear, but in NO WAY harsh. Whatever you used on this, find a welding rod, and a torch, and stick those knobs wherever they happened to end up on this. Wurlitzer/Organ of some type = perfect choice for this tune.

Song - brutally honest, a little morose?...but it doesn't bring me down like most of mine, lol. It's got a real Job (pronounced with the LONG "O" sound, lol) kinda' vibe... You know, the whole "OKAY MAN, NOW WHAT??"...

I'm babbling, but the bottom line is that it made me actually feel something...So did "Dreamin'..", btw: believe it or not, I don't ONLY connect with the darker tunes, lol...Happy/Sad/...it doesn't matter to me...just make me feel SOMETHING...this did.

Okay, now for the part that I've been waiting to write. I just about wore a new groove in the mp3 at 1:55..."I've run out of places to hide"...on "hide," FUCKIN' A, AL!!! THAT'S THE JUICE, RIGHT THERE. Seriously, and very literally...hairs stood up on me, lol. THAT'S what the whole game's about to me...your voice kinda' almost doesn't make it all the way to the end of the trill...dude, you CANNOT teach that. I just raved for a paragraph over one word, but it was a damned good one!!!

I listened to the alternate mix of Dreamin, btw...the strings are a cool idea, and I know it's a dry mix, but if you're gonna' put one on a project CD, I really REALLY think the bare bones version is a winner. Now, if you're anything like me, that comment will totally piss you off...on the one hand, you've got this unperfect take that you did maybe half lit, lol...and on the other, you've got strings and synths and bass and perfect timing and something you obviously put much effort into...(no bg vox, though)...hehee...But I'm just being as honest as I know how to be... There is something better than good about the slide version, and if you think I'm talking out of my ass, then you haven't heard my 13 year old daughter playing viola over that track...Did I ask her? Hell no...she loves the tune, she's a musician, and I just happened to walk by her room when she was noodling around on the big fiddle to the slide version on a boom box...(mix still sounded great...you asshole)...lol. She asked me tonight if she could record a track for your tune...lol...I told her I'd ask.

Dig deep, dig often, and keep being, ...ummm.....HERE!!!

Chris

Oh, and while I'm talking about songs that aren't part of this thread, you need to roll off the lows on your vocal on the slide version of "Dreamin" right around 1:48...you picked up a nasty plosive on a "W" there...

Yeah, I've listned a few hundred times, lol.

And no matter what version you go with, KEEP the extended outro section that's on the slide version. You could play it a touch faster and keep it under 4 minutes if you wanted, but don't. :D

wfaroni--Damn, I seem to be writing a lot of off the wall lately, so I imagine that a few more will surface before I get out of this phase. Just when I think I'm ready to get into some good groove based rock, a wailing blues or even a positive uptempo country song, I sit down to write and my muse says, "Oh NO! We are gonna get to the very BOTTOM of the bottom...." Whoa! There I go.....

M. Brane--I'm just not sure about the bass or the vocal level. I can't crank it either, so I'll have to wait. yeah, its kinda stock musically--borrowed from the hymnal, I suppose, but I always liked those simple changes with the figured bass!

ChrisHarris--You make me laugh, which is the greatest thing for a guy like me. (the mix sux so bad, I wouldn't BOTHER---big space...)

Yeah, this one is really personal venting on my part. I thought when I listened to it that there might be a bunch of different interpretations of the lyric, which would probably be a good thing.

I'm into the make me feel SOMETHING concept too. My problem right now is I'd like to do some solo performances of original songs, but I need to get some songs that lift people up too and also hit that middle ground, and a funny song or two. As it stands now, most of the audience would commit suicide before they finished hearing my set. Not a good thing. :D

As for the Dreamin' thing, I agree--there's something to that drunken, crappy version :D that the other one doesn't have. Its like that 1.5 tune I did--sloppy, but something human got captured. I mean, who wants to always listen to perfect, right? Lately, if you're listening to me, there's no WORRY about that! LOL!

Sure, have the daughter put the cello on it. I'm thrilled that the song speaks to somebody. I have only one request--no whiskey during tracking. :D

God, I love it when you call me an asshole. Only cause it means so MUCH from you! Check out my version of our tune sometime too!

chrisharris said:
Oh, and while I'm talking about songs that aren't part of this thread, you need to roll off the lows on your vocal on the slide version of "Dreamin" right around 1:48...you picked up a nasty plosive on a "W" there...

Yeah, I've listned a few hundred times, lol.

And no matter what version you go with, KEEP the extended outro section that's on the slide version. You could play it a touch faster and keep it under 4 minutes if you wanted, but don't. :D

Hey, I don't care what we talk about in my threads--AS LONG AS WE TALK ABOUT ME! :D

I'll check out that plosive for sure. That extended ending on Dreamin' was my very intentional way of trying to put at least SOME positive spin in the song. Guess the New Age churches won't be having Crawdad come in as a guest speaker anytime soon, eh?

"...and todays guest speaker is Crawdad, who will begin the service today by playing some of the most depressing music ever created. Then, he's gonna deliver his inspirational message, "Life's a Bitch, You Suffer, You Lose, People Fuck You Over Royally, You Get Old and Feeble, and Finally, If You Are Lucky, You Get To Die--But You Are Probably Going To Spend Eternity In Hell Anyway..."

5 listens now.....very heartfelt tune that I can relate to.I have been in that place before and it's as lonely as hell.....Ok,I wont start preaching.:D

Good tune Al.I think that one will fill out a new Crawdad CD.;)

crawdad said:

"...and todays guest speaker is Crawdad, who will begin the service today by playing some of the most depressing music ever created. Then, he's gonna deliver his inspirational message, "Life's a Bitch, You Suffer, You Lose, People Fuck You Over Royally, You Get Old and Feeble, and Finally, If You Are Lucky, You Get To Die--But You Are Probably Going To Spend Eternity In Hell Anyway..."
Okay, it's DAMNED late here, and I just woke my wife up laughing at that... Hey, if you need a "funny filler" song, you're more than welcome to use "Fuck You;" GREAT bar song, lol...That's how I break up my solo gigs...

TUNE #1 - Midtempo Death Dirge
TUNE #2 - 12 Minute rambling song about death
TUNE #3 - "FUCK YOU"

Of course, most of them are gone by then, but the bartenders LOVE that tune, lmao.

Going to check out the Girly Tune now!!

Im really diggin the harmonys at 2:57 "shake me from my slumber".....has an oldtime gospel feel to it.

Kramer--I don't know why, but every time I need a little validation, you always seem to show up with something nice to say. Deeply appreciated. And--go ahead and preach to me via PM if you want to. I'd welcome it.

As for the Les Paul Special, I wish you could play my ash body, maple neck Tele with the Joe Bardens in it. Its my favorite guitar of all time, and we are talking a LONG time! (40+years of playing).

chrisharris said:

TUNE #1 - Midtempo Death Dirge
TUNE #2 - 12 Minute rambling song about death
TUNE #3 - "FUCK YOU"

I'm HOWLING at this! :D

Tune #4;HOPELESS, LIFE IS RIGGED AGAINST ME POSITIVE UPTEMPO SONG
Tune# : FUCK YOU, the REPRISE

Aw man, this sounds definitely pro! Time to leave the board! Go to prorecording.com! ;)

Seriously, sounds brilliant!

Proves once more that it doesn't matter what style of music it is, if it's well performed (like this), it absolutely rocks! :D

(and I didn't even turn on my 'lyrics'-switch yet! This is only about sound, chords and melody :) )

Pedullist said:
Aw man, this sounds definitely pro! Time to leave the board! Go to prorecording.com! ;)

Seriously, sounds brilliant!

Proves once more that it doesn't matter what style of music it is, if it's well performed (like this), it absolutely rocks! :D

(and I didn't even turn on my 'lyrics'-switch yet! This is only about sound, chords and melody :) )

Hey, look whos talkin'! Your last song post was really brilliant and well done! Even in Dutch, I got a chill factor from the lyrics and singing! :D Put up a rough translation for me, would ya?

Back