After a break... more indie rock!!

bleyrad said:
this is the only thing i'm really left wondering about.

would you care to elaborate at all?

it doesn't make much sense to give a song a poor rating without explanation. i'm not saying your response couldn't possibly be justified, it's just that i would LIKE you to justify it, so i know exactly what it is you think i could do better.

Don't bother man. Posts like that are just a waste of space and not worth your attention. The rest of us aren't judging you based on his thoughtless "grade."

great sounding mix! the canned drums leave a lot to be desired, but you know that i'm sure. i'd love to hear it with a real kit on the there. love the guitar tones.

what amp/guitar/mic setup did you use?

the vocals have a lot of character, and i really like the tone you got, and the character the mic gives off. i personally woulkd bring them down 2-3 db in the mix though. thats a personal preference i always seem to have though, with a lower vocal.

great song though! enjoyed it very much.

jacob

guitar's a brand new american tele, through a Mesa Boogie MK I head / Marshall JCM 900 cab. Mic'd with a 57. great setup for clean or somewhat dirty tones, but sucks ass for full-on distortion.

there was only one guitar, i simply doubled the track with a bit of added digital distortion for the stereo-right guitar.

interesting that you said "the character the mic gives off" ... the mic is the hideous, much-hated, piece-of-ass infamous Rode NT1 :)

i will be recording real drums when i redo this. probably also a real guitar track to replace the right guitar, redo the bass when i buy a new one, redo some vocal lines, tweak the strings, and make the mix prettier.

bleyrad said:
i will be recording real drums when i redo this. probably also a real guitar track to replace the right guitar, redo the bass when i buy a new one, redo some vocal lines, tweak the strings, and make the mix prettier.

Woo hoo, I'm anxious...:cool:

Excellent tune, good performance too.

Seems to be a couple of level issues - guitar's a little hot on the verses, vocs are low on the breakdowns - overall levels are fine, there are just spots...

Somebody mentioned doubling the vocs - there might be something to that - when you do that high 4-3-2-1, you seem a little unsure of yourself, and it really manifests itself in the transitions between notes. So either a retake with a more confident delivery, or doubling - because the second take will transition differently you'll get a real sophisticated random phasing effect at the transitions. In theory, anyhow...:D

Absolutely not knocking your voice - wish I could sing like that.

Again, great tune, not quite radio ready, but it's close.

Good job.:cool:

My first impression of the mix was that it was very bright. I like the vocals a lot (reminds me of older Thursday) except at about 2:01 when the "can't see" comes in. Those lines just don't seem as "strong" as the other vocal lines. I would also like to hear snare drum up just a little bit. All in all I think its good though.

Back