Advice on lava lamps needed

tombuur

As I understand it a lava lamp is an absolute essential for a studio. Also, I have decided to get one with bluish/purple fluid which fit in with the color of most programs I use. Then I thought red goo would be my choice ...

So I went to look at lava lamps today. In one place they had intermediate quality lamps, but unfortunately the red goo looked dull and dark when approaching the surface. The white goo looked okay, so I thought maybe this would be my choice instead.

However, in another shop they had cheap lava lamps with plastic base and top. In these the red good looked very good no matter how high it floated.

So what is your experience with colors in the blue, purple, red range? I will mail order the original Mathmos with red goo, if you tell me it looks fine. But there is nowhere around here I can actually have a look at one.

I would stay away from blue goo, The peaceful blue glow is calming but the movements never seem fluid or natural. Red or orange has always given me the best results, however I have no experience with the purple. This could be an interesting option, the fluid movements and vibrance of the red combined with the soothing coolness of the blue........ Also the body of the lamp should have a nice taper to it, straight sided cylinders can be problematic, especially on the lower half of the convection current.

When I went to buy a lava lamp for my studio they had a Kiss Rock and Roll Over wall clock. I decided to buy that instead. Spending my money on the Kiss clock instead of the lava lamp means delaying the opening of my studio until I can save enough funds for a lamp, but it was worth it.

Just make sure to get one with the top secured on well. Nothing worse than having that thing rattle around every time you get the bass going.

Anyone have a Mathmos with red goo and purple fluid? I need to no how the red looks before mail ordering one from Germany. Only way to get it for me.

gentlemen please...

Definitely get the red goo, after all, it's supposed to look like lava, isn't it?
I don't think the fluid is really purple, it just looks like it on the website. I've had one since 1970 & still use it regularly, the fluid used to be clear I think, but over the years it has yellowed slightly, which still looks realistic in my opinion.

Thanks for the input, but they say the fluid is purple. I have seen other makes than Mathmos with yellow fluid, and it is not impossible that Mathmos have had other color options years ago. Of the cheaper lamps I have seen red goo worked fine with clear/yellowish fluid. So I would like to know how red goo looks in purple. It could be the purple fluid darkening the red goo in the one I saw.

Another question. Yours is from 1970 and still works fine? Someone told me not to buy a used lava lamp, because the goo deteriorates after several years. If that is not the case, I am in a new situation. You can get some real cheap lava lamps, because only people like us with a home studio want them now. Over here most shops have stopped selling them which is why I can't get Mathmos around here.

You'll also need some sort of neon figurine. Martini glasses and flamingos are quite common. I've also seen several studios with the neon shaped guitar. I hear stories that they will be phasing out the lava lamps because of the new influx of affordable desktop neon figurines. Personally, i've got the flamingo. But I still rely on the lava lamp to warm the atmosphere of the studio. But, when it get's down to it, I really rely on the flamingo the most.

1970 lamp

It works as well is it did when it was new, I never would have guessed it would last this long... the red goo may have faded only slightly in color, but the consistency hasn't changed... how much do they want for used ones?
It might be a bargain... the only thing I seem to remember that was warned against was not to shake the lamp while the goo was hot. The goo would break up into tiny bubbles that supposedly would not reunite, although some a-hole did it to mine long ago & it didn't screw it up.

On a somewhat serious note...

Do the neons induce hum, ala flourescents and dimmers?

Also, much like microphones, I think you should have different colors for different situations. I tend to like the blues/purples, but sometimes that's too calming or subdued for the particular project. And besides, everybody needs variety in their life. Personally, there are some times when a glitter lamp is just the ticket. A little more motion and intensity, more animated. And then there's always rope lighting, and Christmas lights, etc, etc.

You'll just have to try them out on your studio and see. Let your eyes be your guide.

If it looks good, it IS good. YLLMV.

I've just placed my order at Lavalites.com. I decided to go with white lava in blue liquid feeling that this would be the best compliment to the soothing blue lights of our recently purchased BX5 monitors.

It's one of the color combinations I like too.

Just to test things I borrowed my son's lava lamp today. It's the real thing: Mathmos. Nevertheless, after some hours of working fine the goo turned into one single sphere not leaving the bottom. Is that normal? My son says it always does so.

sounds like it may be overheated and needs to rest, if it's been on several hours (8-10 or more) give it a rest.

Hmmmmmmmmm, that 'aint right. They do take time to get going, some as long as four hours depending on room temp, they like to be about 22C (70-74F). But they should be good to go for up to 10 hours.

Back