Advice on 3/4 size guitar

rpe

NM - Land of Excrement
I want to get my 7 year old grandson started on guitar. I see a couple in Musician's Friend for around $100 (one's a Yamaha). I'd appreciate your opinions, comments, warnings about 3/4 size guitars.

thanks and Merry Christmas!

rpe

3/4 guitar

rpe said:
I want to get my 7 year old grandson started on guitar. I see a couple in Musician's Friend for around $100 (one's a Yamaha). I'd appreciate your opinions, comments, warnings about 3/4 size guitars.

rpe

I know the 1/2 size Dean wasn't much. But then it was cheap. Won't stay tuned. Not worth the $ I paid. It's cute but thats all.

Good luck.

I am assuming that you are referring to an electric guitar. My vision isn't the best, so pardon me if I have made an error.

Be aware that some of the smaller electric guitars utilize a non standard tuning. Getting a guitar that tunes using the same tuning as everyone else would be a terrific advantage.

A good friend of mine was looking for a small guitar for his nephew. I think he ended up with a Strat copy with a 22" scale. I forget the brand, but I think it was listed at Musician's Friend.

Allegedly, this guitar tunes with the standard E tuning that most of us use and for which all guitar lessons are written for.

Going to Musician's Friend's website and typing in "22" scale, Strat" might lead you to the instrument.

The SX short scale Strat clone (Rondo Music) might also be an acceptable instrument. I am satisfied with my SX instruments.

I "think" the short scale SX Strat utilizes a 23" scale, which is 2.5" shorter than a standard SX Strat. In spite of their low prices, these instruments are not toys or junk.

Good luck.

rpe said:

rpe

I have been wanting to get a small guitar for my little girl. I checked out SEVERAL, before the Christmas season was upon us. THEY ALL WERE TOTAL CRAP!! I was VERY dissapointed and didn't even get her one for Christmas. I cannpt see putting $100+ in a guitar that will not stay in tune, has half assed fit and finish, and cheezy fret and neck work on top of that. They are "toys"...thats it. If I would have had to "learn" on one of those...I wouldn't have learned.

I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but I am just being honest bro.

I got my daughter a little Ibanez when she was that age. Well made and plays pretty good, though it would be better to tune it higher.

Just make sure you don't get a toy.

get a real guitar!

buy a real guitar first find a small body guitar that is not bad in price and capo it up for him you can find guitars that do not cost that much in the parlor size range i think guitar center has a fender small body that has a solid spruce top for $199.99 i would ask you not to buy a toy! as a little kid i had a real guitar not some junk toy that was made in china and i learned much more on it than with a guitar that played like it was a joke. if you want a guitar that tunes to standard and sounds nice and is made in the usa try a taylor baby or big baby
now. i know these guitars are not cheap mine was $325 a couple years back and the price has gone up since then but it was a "real guitar" the other thing is your grandson is still young and he may not play the guitar after he really works at it (kids do that) and you could get stuck holding the bag :o if so you should have a guitar that at least you can play. :D

Yo Rpe- I have got one I'm interested in selling, if you care. It's an Ibanez ME Day Tripper. It's a mini-dreadnought in blue, with the cutaway and onboard active pickup. I upgraded the tuners to Shallers. Well cared for and hydrated- $150 plus shipping. It's a pretty good little guitar, like a ukelele on steroids. There's a picture at:

http://bardwire.com/images/lgguitarsa.jpg

If you're interested, send me a PM-Richie

Peavey T-15

That is your answer. A Peavey T-15. Made in the 80's. High quality parts and 3/4 size. You can pick on up on ebay with a case for a little over $100. Not junk, great parts.

big baby ...

if you're thinking acoustic i would look at Taylor, either Baby or the Big Baby they are both exceptional guitars, and i think will hold their value and be quite collectable one day ...my Big Baby cost around 300$s so the baby would be around 200 or so...

Back