ADK TL (specifically compared to B1)

CanopuS

Amateur music since 1847
Over 1000 posts, and I'm yet to have bought anything of my own! Problem is there are too many options, and just when you think you've settled on one mic, up comes another that looks even better.

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear about peoples opinions of the ADK TL, as a general purpose and vocal mic. My brother has a SP B1 which I find pretty handy for general use, but I don't like it at all on vocals, it brings out a harsh top end. Do you think the TL is too similar to be better? I guess primarily other than vocals I'd like to use it on guitar and piano, probably in conjunction with the B1. Finally, do you think it would have any use on snare, either cardioid or hypercardioid....essentially for soft rock and jazz drumming?

Any opinions of any sort are great... thanks for your help :)

Bump...

I've never used a ADK TL so I can't comment on it... but, I don't like the B1 on vocals either. Maybe you can rent a ADK TL or something from a local music store or sound company... IMO, it's always best to audition mics for yourself if you can.

Anyway... I thought I'd try to help you by bumping your question back to the top of the page... in hopes others will see it and help you. Good luck, and best wishes. :)

Hiya Kit - were the vocals on the songs I've heard of yours done on a B1? If so, I'd agree that it ain't for you. But what might help would be if you put a clip of your voice up so that people could give some cracking advice on the matter. :)

Shut up dude, you have a great voice.

Do you have access to any other mics to try, to see what kinda options might suit you better? Maybe like an SM58 and another condenser?

EDIT - BTW, you and I have quite similar voices (my housemates often think I'm sat listening to my own songs whilst I work), and if you want something that will do all the detail and take responsible care of the high end, the AT4050 is a serious option for you. For acoustic-rock-type stuff, it sends my voice through with a lot of clarity. But for something more 'processed' in sound, you might want to carry on trying to find something that actually flatters you.

If you find the perfect mic, tell me. I just bought a T3 to give a go but it's too soon to know what I think of it for my voice yet.

Well over the christmas holidays I got hold of an SM57 that I subbed in over the B1.... I figured being a dynamic it would take care of things. Not really.... even standing 3-4 feet away with the gain cranked or 6 inches away there was always that nasty harsh end. It's not really the mics fault, just my voice has an awful edge at the top. Anyway I got an acceptable sound after EQ'ing off 4-6db from the 6k range and then adding a bit of EQ, but I don't really want to have to rely on such processing!

Anyway I thought something like the Hamburg might suit me, but I was attracted to the multiple patterns of the TL and the opinions I've read which make it out to be a good quality general purpose mic.... especially since I'm going through a nice jazzy phase too :)

I'll let you know if I find anything that works Nik! And you need to send me some of your stuff! I still haven't heard any noisedude tunage!

Cheers

Well ... I deleted about 20gb of stuff a few months back, decided I hated everything I'd ever done.

Not sensible.

But my new PC is up and running save for partitioning the hard drive and copying the OS for a multi-boot, so I can really start to get going now. :)

Ow... thats slightly rash isn't it? Most I've ever done is a delete a whole song out of frustration. Wish I hadn't now, quite liked it :(

Tell me when you've got something to send. Sounds like you know what you're doing with the PC, sounds all very technical to me!

It was very rash. All I have left is some god-awful stuff I did when I was 16. So it's time to start from scratch!!! :)

CanopuS said:
Thanks guys for the bumpage and advice :)

Nik, those songs were recorded with the B1

Okay here's an example.... accept that I can't sing before hand, though my voice has improved since this recording....

http://www.recordingproject.com/media/select.php?mediaid=472&category=30

Hope it helps.... now I'm just embarressed!

CanopuS, that actually sounds pretty good IMO. I think with a little EQ or experimentation with mic placement you might be able to get some improvement, but it's really not bad as is.

I've never used a TL, but I have an ADK TC that I love. ADK makes good mics and has fantastic customer service. When I wrote to Larry Villela about a defective power supply for the TC he sent a new one, no questions asked.

One other mic you might want to try is a used EV RE-15 or RE-16. An amazing value, you can probably get one for under $100 on eBay. Smooth!

Don Newmeyer

Thanks Don.... I was wondering where I recognised your name from, of course its over at the Studio Forums where you posted the Cello recording. Lovely sound by the way, and the thread that first got me looking at ADK mics. I wonder what kind of difference there is between the TL and TC.

Thanks for your help :)

I hope I didn't give you the impression that the B1 sounded pap on your voice. I don't think it's so bad which is why I recommended the AT4050 as another 'natural' mic but one which might look after the highs a tad better (which is what you were concerned about).

Strikes me that if you're having harsh high end problems with the SM57 though, that maybe we are looking at a problem being caused elsewhere .......

I dunno! :D

I have a matched pair of TL's and I love them. I also have two B1's.
The TL's are more transparent than the B1's and not as bright.
They have a bigger, smoother and classier sound through my ISA 428 and Sebatron 4000e.
The TL's are not as hyped in the high mids, but still cut through well on vocals. (Very clean and clear)
Really nice on drum O/H, piano, room mic, and acoustic instruments in omni.
I have never used a 4050, but Dot (Dan Richards) recomends the TL's over the 4050's.
I use the B1's mostly for micing toms now. They are excellent for that job.

I dont think the TL is quite the mic for you.The TC on the other hand is a much better general vocal mic.The TL is voiced for area recording ala orchestras,combos,a great room mic.As for the comparison....there simply isnt one.

CanopuS said:
Thanks guys for the bumpage and advice :)
You're welcome... sometimes all it takes is a little bump to get things rolling... anyway it looks like some of the guys with actual hands on experience found your thread now... so, best wishes, good luck, and have fun. :)

Back