Adding outboard processor to Reaper for mixdown

spantini

COO of me, inc.
I may be purchasing a hardware compressor/limiter later this year. I see Reaper has a hardware plugin (ReaInsert) for inserting the hardware signal into the DAW chain for use in mixdown.

Looking at the Reaperblog page : https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/ReaInsert

What should I select as Hardware Sends and Returns? Out 1..? Out 2...?

Without having the hardware in hand to actually do this, I think I've almost got my head wrapped around the process. ReaInsert appears to be the magic bullet, if I can just figure out this send/return thing.

Cntrl + Alt + G is the grouping matrix..get there then click in the upper box to get to routing..I cannnot remmeber the hotkey..

With the Reinsert as the track 7 , this is how it looks. Control all routing in the matrix. Play with it.

Screenshot 2022-08-17 201047.jpg
scroll down..
check the appropriate boxes.

Last edited:
I'm ok with the routing matrix. I reckon I'll wait until I do get something plugged in to play around with these. The Comp/Limit has 1/4" TS-TRS Mono/Stereo combo jacks for IN/OUTs, so I'm not sure how that will determine what I get in my headphones while recording.

You can probably set it up, but you'll have to monitor in mono. It really won't work to do it live during mixdown. You could print it to a new track and then mix.

I'll be using it for mixdown, so printing to a new track sounds like it will work out ok. I just won't plug it in when tracking.

This slightly dated cockos forum discussion touches on the subject. Next to last post is pretty good.

Annnnd... a Reaper Blog video with additional info.

I'm gonna get a scrap piece of 2x6 lumber and practice hooking it up to my interface with some kite twine and push pins. Then pull out the ol' chess board to practice for the routing matrix. Then I'm gonna...

Last edited:
Back