Add a preamp or upgrade a mic?

5stringer

I'm looking to improve my drum recordings and think I might get more bang for the buck getting / replacing a mic I currently have for a better one rather than add more preamps...?
Here is what I am using for drums at the moment:

Kick - AKG D112 ---> API 512c
Snare Top - SM57 ----> API 512c
Snare Bottom - SM57 ----> Stock Focusrite Saffire Pre
Toms - Sennheiser MD421 -----> Stock Focusrite Saffire Pre
Overheads - Shure SM81's -----> Stock Focusrite Saffire Pre (occasionally I run through (2) UA LA610's if tracking drums only)
Hi Hat - AKG c414 xls -----> Stock Focusrite Saffire Pre (ocassionally)

I record in a small treated room...I don't typically mic the hi hat or ride because the overheads pick up plenty of both and because I'm limited in mics.

Would it be better to improve or add to my mic assortment or get another preamp or 2?

I typically record Rock / Pop music...budget is around 1k....

the first thing that comes to mind is have you tried ribbon mics as overheads? and using the c414 xls isn't something I've heard before with hi-hats.

mics to look at

Beyer m160 pair
Cascade fathead pair
Beyer m130 pair
Coles 4038 pair

Shure KSM 32 pair? I've heard nothing but great things about these mics, but don't own a pair myself.

you could always buy another AKG c414 xls and then you've got another alternative overhead mic pair as well as the shure sm81....

just thinking out loud here

the first thing that comes to mind is have you tried ribbon mics as overheads? and using the c414 xls isn't something I've heard before with hi-hats.

mics to look at

Beyer m160 pair
Cascade fathead pair
Beyer m130 pair
Coles 4038 pair

Shure KSM 32 pair? I've heard nothing but great things about these mics, but don't own a pair myself.

you could always buy another AKG c414 xls and then you've got another alternative overhead mic pair as well as the shure sm81....

just thinking out loud here

These are some good options. I would also throw in a Telefunken M80 on snare (way better than the 57 IMO) and the M82 on kick.

However I would say that you have some pretty decent stuff already so is there something that you don't think you're getting out of the equipment you have?

Hi there,
I think you need to define bang for buck. That's a great setup no matter what way you look at it, so +1 to simman.
Tell us more. :)

If you just want to buy shit 'cos you've got some cash and you're into that, that's cool.
Tell us that, though. ;)

Hi there,
I think you need to define bang for buck. That's a great setup no matter what way you look at it, so +1 to simman.
Tell us more. :)

If you just want to buy shit 'cos you've got some cash and you're into that, that's cool.
Tell us that, though. ;)

I ultimately would like to use better pres than the stock Focusrite Saffire pres. So getting more quality preamps is always a consideration. But in the short term, what do you think the obvious upgrade to make is? I could buy 2 Vintech 573 pres to add to my lunchbox or upgrade my over head mics with a pair of Royers or get another C414 to pair with the one I have and get a sub kick for the same price as the preamps. Which option would have the biggest return for the money....that is my question. Just asking for opinions.

I ultimately would like to use better pres than the stock Focusrite Saffire pres. So getting more quality preamps is always a consideration. But in the short term, what do you think the obvious upgrade to make is? I could buy 2 Vintech 573 pres to add to my lunchbox or upgrade my over head mics with a pair of Royers or get another C414 to pair with the one I have and get a sub kick for the same price as the preamps. Which option would have the biggest return for the money....that is my question. Just asking for opinions.

What's your budget? Your original post says it's around 1K but you're now talking items (2 vintech pres & a pair of Royer 121s) that individually exceed your stated budget?

Not busting your stones but recommendations are driven by funds.

The only thing about the ribbon mics is that they are figure 8. That could be an issue in a small room.

Otherwise, you need to define "better" before you spend money. You already have a really good setup, so any improvement will be relatively subtle

Have you attempted different set-ups like a 3-4 mic, ala Glyn Johns ? Might change the end result to your liking. And have you considered what your monitoring on ?

Just a bump to keep track really, never done drums!

But yes, what's "wrong"? Other pre amps are usually bought for,1) Attitude. 2) Super clean, super low noise for super ribbons. IMHO neither really applies to drums? Are the mics a bit hot into the Saffire perhaps? If so, cheap solution, some XLR pads!

And you say "small, treated room"? Maybe a bit more treatment? Above the overheads perhaps?

Dave.

Exactly, you should be ableto make really good recordings with what you have. I suspect your problem could be the room, drums, head selection or tuning. However, you havn'et described what it is that you don't like about the sound you are getting. Sometimes it's hard to know when to stop upgrading.

Exactly, you should be ableto make really good recordings with what you have. I suspect your problem could be the room, drums, head selection or tuning. However, you havn'et described what it is that you don't like about the sound you are getting. Sometimes it's hard to know when to stop upgrading.

++1.

The OP stated drums in a "Small room", (albeit OP hasn't provided any measurements) will impact not only overall sound of drums but will limit useful overhead mic configuration as well. Something like Glyn Johns is really only useful IMO when you have room (size/spacing) and want to accentuate the room characteristics.

Smaller rooms I would lean towards using recorderman, leave door to drum room open and add a mic or two outside the room. Obviously paying attention to phase issues.

Last edited:
I wonder whether "I'm looking to improve my drum recording" is code for "I want to get more gear".

I'm missing the information that would help provide an answer. What is the problem that you are trying to solve?

If improvement is needed, maybe it's not technology that's the cause; maybe it's technique. Or maybe it's the room.

Back