ADAT help!

16vMiniMike

Hi all, newbie here with some gear but obviously not as much of an idea as would like!

So, I run Ableton on a Windows PC, I have 4 Behringer ADA8000’s connected to an RME Digiface USB, and my output is via a Behringer UMC404HD. How do I get more than 2 channels into Ableton, the audio input option only allows be to choose ADAT1-2 or ADAT 5-6 etc for example.

Then, I can’t set a different audio interface for output, and ASIO4All doesn’t seem to be working either!

Maybe I just need an audio interface that has 4x ADAT inputs instead?

Thanks, any help appreciated :)

You're not using the RME driver? What about the TotalMix FX software (included with the driver)? Does that show the inputs?

You may know this, but the number of channels you see should be multiples of 8, depending on sample rate. 48kHz : 32, 96kHz : 16, 192kHz 8. I'd stick with 48kHz and maybe test each of the ADA8000s independently to confirm you can get at least 8 channels out of each of them, visible in the RME app. Here's a video that covers some of the app use with that device:

You're not using the RME driver? What about the TotalMix FX software (included with the driver)? Does that show the inputs?

You may know this, but the number of channels you see should be multiples of 8, depending on sample rate. 48kHz : 32, 96kHz : 16, 192kHz 8. I'd stick with 48kHz and maybe test each of the ADA8000s independently to confirm you can get at least 8 channels out of each of them, visible in the RME app. Here's a video that covers some of the app use with that device:

Thanks Kieth, yes I’m using the RME drivers, it’s just it seems Ableton can’t just take all 32 channels as the audio input. I’ll give that video a watch, see if that helps 👍😁

Are you running a 'lite' version of Ableton Mike? Some cut down DAWs have a track limit. If you just want to track 32 channels try Reaper?

Dave.

Hi all, I finally got it sorted by using ASIO4ALL, now I can see all 32 inputs from the ADA8000's and I get audio out via my USB audio interface yay!

@ecc83 Thanks Dave, no I'm running full Ableton Suite v11. I didn't realise Ableton on Windows cannot have an ASIO input and an WMD output hence the need for ASIO4ALL, seem to work well so far!

Thanks for the input everyone :)

thats massive... Id give you Tech-Rep points if possible...dang 32 channels!

so Im curious 4qty 8000's have a ADAT/cable to the RME INPUTS....but then where does the RME USB plug into? and how does the 404 fit into this wiring diagram?

thats massive... Id give you Tech-Rep points if possible...dang 32 channels!

so Im curious 4qty 8000's have a ADAT/cable to the RME INPUTS....but then where does the RME USB plug into? and how does the 404 fit into this wiring diagram?
I've got the 4 ADA8000's connected to the 4 ADAT Inputs on the Digiface and the Digiface acts as clock master on 48khz, that is connected directly to the PC via USB, then the UMC404HD is also connected via USB and that drives my monitors only, no inputs being brought in via that.

The UMC can be seen via ASIO4ALL as an ASIO output device so all works really well, no lag either, at least not discernible!

sooo then your DAW is set to ASIO4ALL and RME drivers ?
the channels IN set 1-32?

DAW OUT is the 404 getting the Output Main and the RME gets the Output Mains? or just the 404 gets the Main Out vis USB?

I'll do some screenshots asap, but essentially ASIO4ALL sort of takes over the input output settings from the DAW, in Ableton I just select ASIO4ALL as the input and output and then you configure from the ASIO4ALL control panel.

Oof, I'd really really suggest ditching ASIO4ALL and just use RME's excellent drivers. Dedicate 2 outputs from one of your ADAs to feed your main speakers, assign the main outputs in TotalMix to match, and be done with the UMC404HD as well. That should greatly simplify setting everything up in your DAW.

Oof, I'd really really suggest ditching ASIO4ALL and just use RME's excellent drivers. Dedicate 2 outputs from one of your ADAs to feed your main speakers, assign the main outputs in TotalMix to match, and be done with the UMC404HD as well. That should greatly simplify setting everything up in your DAW.
My thoughts exactly Tee, but the Digiface does not it seems have an analogue output save headphones. Still, I would condider getting s better DAC than the Behrry?

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/gbr/...MI3PC0592d9AIVk4BQBh3jTwWeEAQYCCABEgI_cfD_BwE ??

Dave.

Last edited:
That’s interesting, might give that a go! So for everyday pc usage such as YouTube etc when not using the DAW will audio still be out via the ADA?

My thoughts exactly Tee, but the Digiface does not it seems have an analogue output save headphones. Still, I would condider getting s better DAC than the Behrry?

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/gbr/...MI3PC0592d9AIVk4BQBh3jTwWeEAQYCCABEgI_cfD_BwE ??

Dave.
It wouldn't be the Digiface that'd be sending the signal to the speakers directly, instead it'd be 2 of the analog outputs from any of the 4 ADA8000s plugged into it. Each of those units has 8 analog line outputs on the back of it, so he can choose any two of those outputs to dedicate as the "main" outputs in TotalMix, then choose the same pair of outputs in Windows. And maybe in the DAW as well, if the DAW gets confused as to which outputs are fed by the master output bus.

That’s interesting, might give that a go! So for everyday pc usage such as YouTube etc when not using the DAW will audio still be out via the ADA?
You got it! Whichever pair of analog outputs you designate as the "main" outputs in TotalMix are the same ones you'd want to select in Windows Sound control panel. I had to hunt for mine a bit, they had been disabled for some reason...I just had to right-click in the Sound control panel and select "show disabled devices", enable the pair of outputs I wanted, right-click and selece "set as default device" and click Save.

The one thing I'd recommend is to set Windows to use the same sample rate and bit depth as you usually use in your DAW. It's not a manditory thing, but it might avoid a few hiccups related to switching sample rates as you toggle between your DAW and your desktop.

So with that, the 404HD is really only being used as a standalone headphone amp ?
RME Headphone Out vs the 404HD is different in sound? The RME could possibly replace the 404 Headphone amp too.

From reading the RME DIGIFACE manual and posts, its headphone amp handles HD600's and 250ohm just fine. the RME knob-less would be a different approach, but if the softwares pulled up anyway no problem...

*The Cambridge DAC linked above doesnt offer headphone jacks and knobs.
*The video the reviewer dude above mentions not having a volume knob for the RME Headphone jack
*RME has no knobs, the 404 has 2X Headphone amps, with A/B and Stereo/Mono button ...let the ears decide

my 2 cents HD404 or RME DAC Headphone Playback DAC.... I like the clock switching!
I have a GraceDesign DAC and do like the Clocking lights on the Grace DAC that tells me Im listening to a 44.1 k playback song or a 96k audiophile, 88, 48 etc...because without the LED's telling me , my ears cant hear a difference!! lol

Is there a difference between the RME vs 404HD headphone sonically?

You star, I've now got it setup so everything comes in via the ADA's and Digiface and outputs 31 and 32 are feeding my monitors, and it all works brilliantly, cant thank you enough :)

Back