Acoustic Neck Surgery

JCH

El Nacho
I bought a broken acoustic in need of a neck reset. I've been wanting to learn more about this type of repair.

It's a crappy guitar, but kind of cool anyway. Fifteen inch lower bout, with a cutaway. The size is very similar to my OOO.

The neck came off without much work. The joint was sloppy. there were voids in the glue. There's no surprise that it failed. I've scraped back the hide glue. It's pretty loose. I'll have to do some work to tighten this neck joint. In the picture you can see some fillet that's already there on one side.

What's the best glue to use for this?

Everything I've read says hide glue is the best thing to put back; it's reversible and doesn't cold creep. You'll just want to tighten the joint up (shims?) before re-gluing it. Not a professional repair person, so take this with a grain of salt.

If you can get it shimmed fairly tight, either hide glue or Titebond will work. That reminds me I need to fix my Harmony 12 string, which needs a neck reset AND a new trussrod.

Shim with a stable hard wood and make sure the grain runs perpendicular to grain on the neck block. I always use either lime or willow as they are very stable and compress quite well under clamping. Don't get the fit to tight. You should be able to fit the joint by hand and remove it by hand.

What are the tenon and mortice like in terms of breakout? In severe cases it is best to fill the mortice and recut it.

Thin fresh hide glue or titebond original are the glues of choice. Both are reversible but if you get it right you won't need to. Be aware that when you reglue they can grab and stick so be quick with the clamps when you set it wet...

Everything I've read says hide glue is the best thing to put back; it's reversible and doesn't cold creep. You'll just want to tighten the joint up (shims?) before re-gluing it. Not a professional repair person, so take this with a grain of salt.

If you can get it shimmed fairly tight, either hide glue or Titebond will work. That reminds me I need to fix my Harmony 12 string, which needs a neck reset AND a new trussrod.

Shim with a stable hard wood and make sure the grain runs perpendicular to grain on the neck block. I always use either lime or willow as they are very stable and compress quite well under clamping. Don't get the fit to tight. You should be able to fit the joint by hand and remove it by hand.
Putting the shims perpendicular makes perfect sense. I've got no access to any lime or willow unless I really piss off my neighbor, and possibly end up in jail, so I'll probably use basswood, or mahogany instead.
What are the tenon and mortice like in terms of breakout? In severe cases it is best to fill the mortice and recut it.
There's not much breakout at all. It's a bit loose, and just didn't appear to be glued too well.

Thin fresh hide glue or titebond original are the glues of choice. Both are reversible but if you get it right you won't need to. Be aware that when you reglue they can grab and stick so be quick with the clamps when you set it wet...
I was hoping titebond was acceptable. I'm familiar, and comfortable with it. Yes, it can get real grabby, especially in a tight joint.

I've got some time to work on this today. I'm quite anxious to see how successful I am with this. I often come across nicer instruments that need similar repair in pawn stores. It's pretty normal for them to end up in the garbage.

Thanks everyone for the replies. :thumbs up:

Basswood will be fine. Poplar is also OK.
Basswood it was. Everything went together without a hitch. It's already been in the clamps for several hours. I'll give it a few days to dry, and a fret dress before I string it up. I'm anxious to see how it all works out when I'm done.

Basswood it was. Everything went together without a hitch. It's already been in the clamps for several hours. I'll give it a few days to dry, and a fret dress before I string it up. I'm anxious to see how it all works out when I'm done.

You can take it out of clamps in an hour if you used titebond original. You can string it up after 24 hours no problem. I have strung up repairs like that after 6 hours.... Hide glue needs longer.

You can take it out of clamps in an hour if you used titebond original. You can string it up after 24 hours no problem. I have strung up repairs like that after 6 hours.... Hide glue needs longer.
I dressed the frets, strung it, and gave it a proper set up tonight. It all seems to have worked out well. Thanks for your help Man:thumbs up:

Back