Acoustic Guitar Wanking

Hmmmm....my my....I think there is possibly a Zorro2 around this place...:D

What I really liked about the piece, is the eclectic feel you gave it, by intermingling the passion of several different ethnics.

It starts out at a Hungarian Gypsy campfire...then around 1:00 it hits the Nina, the Pinta and Santa Maria sailing to the middle east with a wonderful sensual Arabic feel, then around 2:20 I could almost hear the breaking of plates, as an overwhelming craving for Gyros came over me...to 3:14 where Lugosi meets Zorro meets Shariff meets Zorba..!!!

I loved the Flash Gorden speed of your fingers at 3:51....:eek:

I like the performance and the overall feel of the piece. The atonal harmony at around 2:08 adds a charming hint of the far east.
I would have eq'd this a bit different however. I feel that there is a bit of mid to high end hype that makes the guitar sound thinner than it actually sounds. Of course, some of this is due to the V67 midrange bump. What are you doing for compression on this?

All in all... good job!

And I thought I could play fast. :(

I think it's the EQ on the bottom/high end that made it sound sped up at first. I really like the mix of classical and Spanish...

How long have you been playing guitar?

Thanks Danny.

Oh, about 32 years I guess. Not this particular style of guitar though. Early on I was in a duo group that played the normal acoustic cover things. We did a couple of things by Al Di Meola at that time. Then solo fingerpicking stuff when the group broke up. Then starting doing the tapping guitar stuff about a year ago.

Actually just got back into this style of guitar about a year ago also.

eyema_believer - Thanks for the listen.

rayc - Might take a look at youtube or his site, if he has one. Might even go buy the CD if I can find it.

This is why I don't even pick up my acoustic guitar. I could never play something like this, so why bother?

It sounds very good. I love the speedy stuff in contrast to the usual folky finger-picking that you usually hear in acoustical stuff. Very nice!:)

Thanks Greg.

I think you would be able to do this kind of thing. It's not that much different then fast electric guitar playing. At least I don't find it that way.

Well, to be quite honest, I'm one of those fingerpicking guys, though I'm not sure you would call it folksy sounding. I wouldn't really know how to describe my fingerstyle guitar playing.

Very cool, very impressive. Nice recording too. My only suggestion would be around 2:05, where you play parallel 5ths. Dont.:D Same around 2:50, I guess I paid attention in theory class after all.:p You have this spanishy vibe going on, then all of a sudden it sounds Chinese.:D

A splendid listen, very impressive.

Thanks David.

Well, I never did do the music classes. I just play what seems to sound good to me. Is there a reason not to play 5th's? Is it a convention thing or does it bring up strange harmonics or something?

I did go try to get into a class for intermediate guitar once. I sat there awhile warming up and the teacher came up to me and said I can't teach you anything. :D

Hmmmm....my my....I think there is possibly a Zorro2 around this place...:D

What I really liked about the piece, is the eclectic feel you gave it, by intermingling the passion of several different ethnics.

It starts out at a Hungarian Gypsy campfire...then around 1:00 it hits the Nina, the Pinta and Santa Maria sailing to the middle east with a wonderful sensual Arabic feel, then around 2:20 I could almost hear the breaking of plates, as an overwhelming craving for Gyros came over me...to 3:14 where Lugosi meets Zorro meets Shariff meets Zorba..!!!

I loved the Flash Gorden speed of your fingers at 3:51....:eek:

Thanks true-eurt.

That is where I was trying to go with the piece. I still think there is to much of the Spanish feeling in my playing throughout the piece. I think the acoustic guitar lends itself quite well to that style, sound or genre of that music.

I like the performance and the overall feel of the piece. The atonal harmony at around 2:08 adds a charming hint of the far east.
I would have eq'd this a bit different however. I feel that there is a bit of mid to high end hype that makes the guitar sound thinner than it actually sounds. Of course, some of this is due to the V67 midrange bump. What are you doing for compression on this?

All in all... good job!

Thanks Steve.

You may be right about the EQ. I'll have to take a look at again. The compression is the Soni...(something) multiband compressor that came with the Sonar 6 program I bought recently. I don't think I have more than a 1.4 to 1 ratio on any one band though.

Thanks David.

Well, I never did do the music classes. I just play what seems to sound good to me. Is there a reason not to play 5th's? Is it a convention thing or does it bring up strange harmonics or something?

Yes, there is a reason. Its how it sounds.:D

I am sure its because I am a classical geek, but it stuck out immediately to me. The piece is essentially a classical piece, similiar to something like Albeniz would write. In classical, parallel 5ths are verboten, unless you are specifically going for a certain effect a la Ravel or Debussy. In other words, I think your piece is more sophisticated than you think! Its straight-up classical writing, and by instinct you followed the rules until 2:04.

When I studied theory, my teacher would always fault me for parallel 5ths, and I thought he was an idiot.:D:D I thought he was just being a stickler for some stupid rules. Now, a quarter-century and 5000 concerts later, I know exactly why he made a big deal out of it.:o It seems unnatural compared to the rest of it. It literally is a case of you speaking fluent musical spanish, then you break into musical chinese.:p

Dude, I appreciate the effort, but I could barely follow the first paragraph. Seriously. That article might as well be in Greek. I aint smart like you musician types. :confused:

All ya gotta do is play the riff to Smoke on the Water, and you'll know as much about it as the next guy.:cool::D

I know I couldn't play like that. You made a Taylor guitar sound like a bazuki. Did I spell that right? They play them at the Greek festival where I live.

Yes, there is a reason. Its how it sounds.:D

I am sure its because I am a classical geek, but it stuck out immediately to me. The piece is essentially a classical piece, similiar to something like Albeniz would write. In classical, parallel 5ths are verboten, unless you are specifically going for a certain effect a la Ravel or Debussy. In other words, I think your piece is more sophisticated than you think! Its straight-up classical writing, and by instinct you followed the rules until 2:04.

When I studied theory, my teacher would always fault me for parallel 5ths, and I thought he was an idiot.:D:D I thought he was just being a stickler for some stupid rules. Now, a quarter-century and 5000 concerts later, I know exactly why he made a big deal out of it.:o It seems unnatural compared to the rest of it. It literally is a case of you speaking fluent musical spanish, then you break into musical chinese.:p

Hmm... Guess I'm in the same boat as GregL. Hell, I'm just a guitar player. To me it seemed logical to go there. But after reading the link you provided below, I understand what you're saying, and why it's not a good idea to use them. Now whether I'm going to change it or not, that's another matter. :p :D

I know I couldn't play like that. You made a Taylor guitar sound like a bazuki. Did I spell that right? They play them at the Greek festival where I live.

Thanks for the listen Xeries. Tried to capture a little of that feeling in that one part. Kind of a Eastern Mediterranean touch.

Hmm... Guess I'm in the same boat as GregL. Hell, I'm just a guitar player. To me it seemed logical to go there. But after reading the link you provided below, I understand what you're saying, and why it's not a good idea to use them. Now whether I'm going to change it or not, that's another matter. :p :D

I wouldnt lose a lot of sleep over it.:p

Back