Acoustic Cover - Over the Rainbow

thisisbrianly

Hey guys,

This is my first recording project, so please be kind if it sounds like crap :)

The song is going to be for my wedding in June, so any feedback would appreciated. This really has been a trial & error process for me, but its been fun.

Let me know your thoughts/concerns/criticisims/etc....thanks!

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7499806

Last edited:
That it has been fun is the most important part. Your bride will think you are wonderful!!

The mix itself is a bit of a jumble, and when I played Soundclick I stopped to make sure I was listening to the hi-fi version.

However, you've got a strong and pleasant voice, and you sing it pretty well. That's what she and the guests will listen to and notice.

Curiously, I think you've managed to get a pretty good sound on your voice, but the guitars don't work as well. One is very boomy, and the lead is very bright.

Pretty good. I could only listen with one headphone. Long story, I'm at work. Are you a fan of the Somewhere Over the Rainbow/ Wonderful World amalgam by that guy? Sound like you could be close to bottoming on your vocal range. Acoustic sounds pretty ok in my left ear.

Ahhhh, I love this song. And your voice is great for it.

But as Gecko Zzed said above, the rhythm guitar sounds boomy and the lead too bright.

Easy to fix though, no?

intomusic

Ahhhh, I love this song. And your voice is great for it.

But as Gecko Zzed said above, the rhythm guitar sounds boomy and the lead too bright.

Easy to fix though, no?

intomusic

Thanks for listening guys - any tips on how I should fix the guitars? Is it "EQ-able", or should I just re-record them?

I have to admit, I'm a little strapped on cash (wedding coming up after all) so I mixed the song on $15 computer speakers and a set of Sennheiser HD201s....maybe $100 toward a cheap monitor set would be good?

Thanks for listening guys - any tips on how I should fix the guitars? Is it "EQ-able", or should I just re-record them?

I have to admit, I'm a little strapped on cash (wedding coming up after all) so I mixed the song on $15 computer speakers and a set of Sennheiser HD201s....maybe $100 toward a cheap monitor set would be good?

How much time have you got between now and the wedding?

With the main guitar the boom seems to be between 100h and 200 hz, so you might like to try pulling this area down a bit with EQ. The cause is that this area of the frequency range is probably under-represented on your PC speakers. Pop it onto a CD and listen to it in the car (or anywhere else).

The lead guitar needs a bit of taming. There are three options:
1 slip it back into the mix a bit;
2 give it a bit of reverb to float it and create some space around it;
3 try EQing out a bit of the brightness.

(My choice would be 1 and 2)

Leave your voice where it is. That's what people will notice and is the best part of the song. Let the backing isntruments play a minor role.

I meant to say in my comments earlier that I shuddered a bit when I saw the song you were doing, but I'm so pleased you didn't do the Eva Cassidy version. Not that there's anything wrong with that version . . . that's just the trouble. It's so good that it has become a very common (and therefore overdone) way of doing it. Yours showed a refreshing spark of originality.

Later, when you get more time, I think you should spend the time and effort to work on it and get it really sparkling.

How much time have you got between now and the wedding?

With the main guitar the boom seems to be between 100h and 200 hz, so you might like to try pulling this area down a bit with EQ. The cause is that this area of the frequency range is probably under-represented on your PC speakers. Pop it onto a CD and listen to it in the car (or anywhere else).

(My choice would be 1 and 2)

Leave your voice where it is. That's what people will notice and is the best part of the song. Let the backing isntruments play a minor role.

I meant to say in my comments earlier that I shuddered a bit when I saw the song you were doing, but I'm so pleased you didn't do the Eva Cassidy version. Not that there's anything wrong with that version . . . that's just the trouble. It's so good that it has become a very common (and therefore overdone) way of doing it. Yours showed a refreshing spark of originality.

Later, when you get more time, I think you should spend the time and effort to work on it and get it really sparkling.

Thanks for the great comments gecko. Haha, I appreciate that you put your doubts aside when you saw the title and listened anyway....the version is based loosely off of one Eric Clapton did live a few yrs back. My wedding is in June, so I have plenty of time til then (though it doesn't feel like it some days!).

I'll certainly take a look at EQ-ing out some of the bass.....I used a smaller OM-size guitar for the slap guitar part, but a larger dreadnaught for strumming. Would you suggest re-recording it somehow to make it sit better in the mix?

Gecko, one other question - when you say "slip it back into the mix" what exactly does that mean? Quite it down, pan it more aggressively, etc?

Sorry, I'm not up to speed with the lingo quite yet. :)

Back