Acoustic blankets... or duvets?

MartinJohn123

Hey all, I've no doubt there's been countless messages over the years about this kind of question. So I'm sorry to create another one.

Basically, I'm designing a vocal booth, or more of a closet, within my studio. On a budget otherwise I'd build a whole new room! I know it's not ideal, but once it's got a cover over the top and padding down the sides it's surprisingly effective.

I'm using a display board as the frame of the booth. But my question is whether to pad the sides with acoustic blankets like this: https://www.vocalboothtogo.co.uk/product-category/acoustic-sound-blankets-producers-choice/

Or simply use duvets.

My gut feeling is that duvets will actually be more effective, but of course they will look more amateur.

Any advice or suggestions on this will be very welcome!

Martin

Attachments

• 20210304_112034.jpg
    20210304_112034.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 4
  • 20210304_112055.jpg
    20210304_112055.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 4
Those "acoustic blankets" look a lot like moving pads that can be had for a lot less money. I'd look at things like that if you can compare to see if it might suit your needs.

Depends on what you are trying to achieve. Room reflections, a heavy blanket will do the trick at higher frequencies. Small room is going to have more issues in the bass range especially near corners, say like in a closet. Low register male voice down around 90hz is a whole other problem. What is the problem you are trying to solve? Then you can figure out the solution or compromise that gets you where you need to be.

Thanks for your responses keith and folkcafe.

Keith, I think you're right. I do think that these acoustic blankets are quite pricey for what they are, this is why I'm hesitant to rush out and buy.

Folkcafe - my main aim is to cut out room reflections. My studio is actually the end of large converted garage which is part playroom for the kids and part storage, the room reflections are really obvious on recordings if they're not tamed.

Thanks for your responses keith and folkcafe.

Keith, I think you're right. I do think that these acoustic blankets are quite pricey for what they are, this is why I'm hesitant to rush out and buy.

Folkcafe - my main aim is to cut out room reflections. My studio is actually the end of large converted garage which is part playroom for the kids and part storage, the room reflections are really obvious on recordings if they're not tamed.
Just be sure the obvious isn't hiding other issues in the lower end first. If you have a bunch of heavy blankets, easy enough to try it out.

If I were spending money on heavy moving blankets, I might consider putting that money into DIY panels made from wood and mineral wool insulation covered with light fabric. Better performance overall for not much more money if you are willing to put in a little bit of effort.

^^^ Yup. Build a few 4"x2'x4' traps with OC703/5 or Roxul in them, use them as movable gobos, in the corners, etc.

So Jimmy Page was looking amateur using the blankets in the studio? Use what ever works, when I am doing live band in the studio stuff I build enclosures around amps of sheets of sound deadener, sheets of wood, road case lids, whatever I can find. No one sees it on the recording.

Alan

jimmy page.jpg

So Jimmy Page was looking amateur using the blankets in the studio? Use what ever works, when I am doing live band in the studio stuff I build enclosures around amps of sheets of sound deadener, sheets of wood, road case lids, whatever I can find. No one sees it on the recording.

Alan

View attachment 108441

Only used to help stop mic bleed. Not for reducing room reflections (obviously a big room - and not a studio).

Back