Acid Pro user needs advice on picking a new DAW

CroquetRecords

I started using Acid Pro way back before Sony bought it and now I'm using version 7 as my DAW. I'm trying to decide if I should stay with it since I know it well or should I move to a new DAW.

It meets my needs, but long term I don't think it will be a major player as a DAW. When I started using it, Pro Tools wasn't an option since it was hardware specific. Now I'm leaning toward Pro Tools or maybe another option. For one thing, I think another platform will be compatible with more plugins in the future. And second, there is so many tutorial with a DAW like Pro Tools that teaching myself won't be as difficult. What options would be best for somebody experienced in Acid Pro?

A few notes: Needs to be Windows based. Primarily used for recording bands and not for electronic music. Current interface is Presonus but I'm looking at upgrading to a larger Focusrite interface. I don't have any 3rd party plugins or VSTs other than a few freeware ones, but I would like a DAW that comes with a lot of good plugins built in for EQ, comp, reverb, etc. I also will need a plugin for vocal tuning - Melodyne, for example, doesn't play well with Acid.

Thanks for your feedback.

Try out Reaper.

The 'demo' is fully functional so you can see if it fits your needs and they trust you will get a license and be a part of the community...

Pro Tools is great, once you learn it.

Studio One by presonus is pretty good. And if you use their upgrade path to the Pro version it comes with a copy of melodyne. it's also the only DAW I know of that melodyne is integrated in. I don't have to open it and bounce the file out and reimport, etc.. I just right click the wave in studio one, click melodyne, and it pops up almost like a plugin. Very simple.

I have never used Acid so i don't know how it translates over, but honestly most of the bigger programs these days are going to do it all. It's just a question of workflow at this point.

Thanks. I've looked at Reaper in the past. How good are tutorials available? I want something that I can easily train on via tutorials to get up the advanced level. I'm very comfortable with Acid Pro 7 but it is a lame duck DAW. I think Sony has finally given up on playing catch up with features. They are still keeping it on life support so they can sell more samples, but it is no longer a viable option to build a prosumer home studio around. I'm leaning towards Pro Tools because so many studios use it and there is a wealth of free or cheap training available on it and it looks to have a future ahead of it (unlike Acid - I'd be shocked if there was ever a new version). Plus I can get it for an educator rate.

When I first bought a Presonus Firebox back in the day it came with a stripped down version of Cubase. Are they shipped with Presonus Studio One now? It's not tied to just Presonus hardware, is it? Thanks.

Back