Access Violation Occured NEED HELP!

Fri3ndLyLi0n

First of all, I am running Pro tools 10 on Windows 8 (Have no choice, new computer and no windows 7 drivers).
I keep getting all sorts of errors such as:
-Access violation occurred, unable to read (and sometimes write) location: 0xFFFFFFFF ( all sorts of addresses too, I have gotten 0x00000000, 0xDE32B014, 0xD21E9AC6, Etc.)
-Privileged instruction executed in user mode ( and i AM running pro tools as administrator)
Also, Pro Tools freezes sometimes but I'm not sure that it related to the main problem.
I have tried disabling all of my plug-ins, but still no charm so I have ruled out plug-ins.
Things I have also tried:
-Disabling Wi-Fi adapter completly
-Disabling my Solid State Drive (Read somewhere in another forum that a non primary HD might be causing the problem)
-I am going to try to update all my Hard Drive drivers and firmware if possible

Please can someone help, I keep feeling like I'm running in circles. Anything to at least point me in a new direction? I am getting quite annoyed with pro tools lately. :'(

Thanks ,
Jeremy

If it's unable to read/write to/from something it has to be either memory or the HDD.
If you're recording to an internal drive, try an external. Make sure it's formatted and prepared in such a way that pleases AVID.

If you are already using an external drive and you know it ticks the boxes, try a different firewire/USB port and/or a different drive altogether.

Failing that - Memtest.

If it's unable to read/write to/from something it has to be either memory or the HDD.
If you're recording to an internal drive, try an external. Make sure it's formatted and prepared in such a way that pleases AVID.

If you are already using an external drive and you know it ticks the boxes, try a different firewire/USB port and/or a different drive altogether.

Failing that - Memtest.
Hi, not a Protools guy but it sounds like a hardware issue. You can do a checkdsk to see if there are bad sectors. Usually you can do this by finding the hard drive in Windows Explorer and right click, properties, tools, check disk for errors. Win8 should have the the same process. If it says if fixed a sector, then hard drive could be failing. It is an indicator at least something is not well.

I ran into a problem with windows 8 and secondary hard drive names. Something about how it had the partions named or addressed was giving me errors. I reformatted my secondary drive to standard NTFS and gave it a basic name like data and quit having problems.

First of all, I am running Pro tools 10 on Windows 8 (Have no choice, new computer and no windows 7 drivers).
I keep getting all sorts of errors such as:
-Access violation occurred, unable to read (and sometimes write) location: 0xFFFFFFFF ( all sorts of addresses too, I have gotten 0x00000000, 0xDE32B014, 0xD21E9AC6, Etc.)
-Privileged instruction executed in user mode ( and i AM running pro tools as administrator)
Also, Pro Tools freezes sometimes but I'm not sure that it related to the main problem.
I have tried disabling all of my plug-ins, but still no charm so I have ruled out plug-ins.
Things I have also tried:
-Disabling Wi-Fi adapter completly
-Disabling my Solid State Drive (Read somewhere in another forum that a non primary HD might be causing the problem)
-I am going to try to update all my Hard Drive drivers and firmware if possible

Please can someone help, I keep feeling like I'm running in circles. Anything to at least point me in a new direction? I am getting quite annoyed with pro tools lately. :'(

Thanks ,
Jeremy
Hi Jeremy, have you been able to solved it? if so, how? i got the exact same problem and nothing i tried worked :(
Thanks in advance
Francisco

Just in case anyone is actually following this thread still:
This is about Protected Mode on modern Intel processors.
When the operating system first boots up, it has absolute privilege to access any memory location or I/O location.
Once it has set itself up, it creates tables of permission rights for memory and I/O accesses, and spawns a whole load of other spaces for
application programs to run. Those applications are restricted to accessing memory and I/O in accordance with the permission tables.
This is protection against one application running amok, and breaking other applications, or the priviledged operating system.
The operating system is absolutely in charge, and the applications are not.
It should therefore be impossible for someone to hack into your computer, but because Microsoft provide doors for the CIA to get in, so can everybody else.
As I previously said, the operating system is absolutely in charge.
Privileged instructions belong to the operating system. All other programs are User.

Back