Absolute do's or don'ts???

I am considering all the info i have received and researched and working toward devising a plan.

today it is snowing so i will likely be here and around just researching.

thanks for the notes and info..

keep it coming.
And keep us posted. I'm really excited for you ! There is actually alot of fun and joy in researching and putting a project together. By the way, check out the music Supercreep has posted. If that's stuff that's been done at his pad, I'd say his opinions are worth thinking about, especially in regard to keeping your basement as one whole space.

I will definitely keep you all posted. Thanks again and again for your suggestions and thoughts on the project. If anything pops into your minds let me know.

Matt

Good to see you back, Rick. How are you?
Hey Casey, thanks buddy. I'm fine as frogs hair.:D Still cranky as ever, but I'll keep it to a low roar here.:p

We've still got dinner plans, right?
You betcha. Soon as I get down to your neck of the woods.:D No matter when..lets:drunk::drunk::drunk::D Got something you might be interested in then too. Later on that.

Also, to 816matt. There may be no "absolutes", but there sure are a ton of "best practices" and plenty of 20/20 hindsights should you ignor them.:D

Also, to 816matt. There may be no "absolutes", but there sure are a ton of "best practices" and plenty of 20/20 hindsights should you ignor them.:D

I understand that there are no absolutes, and as you say there are "best practices" and 20/20 hindsights, that's what I was going for with this thread. Looking for other peoples suggestions or "hey don'ts"

I really appreciate everyone chiming in.

Quick thought for planning...
Would building in a smaller iso for vocals make any sense? I keep wanting to make things difficult and think of all these scenarios. I suppose that is how one comes to the best situation for them...

I'm just trying to make the best use of the space I have to work with..the first time.

Also when you go to the one room approach, what is the best way to deal with cables.. I would like to avoid a mess of cables running right down the middle of the room.
Cable snake built in to a floor? Trap door? in the wall? along the wall? just deal with it?

I want to pick up Rods book too.. Where would you suggest I buy it?

Thanks all...

I converted the bedroom into my small studio in the late 80's. It's real small, 7' x 16'. Here's what i wish I hadn't done:

I made a sliding glass door so I could have the room split. The glass is cool - tinted, and works real smooth. The idea was so I could have the talent in a room and me in another. It's big enough on the small side for my drums. I put an ac on each side of this small room. I haven't hardly used it and the door stays up against the wall. With the ac it added maybe $600 to my studio and I wish I hadn't done it. The concept of a control room and a big room isn't for me, I wish I'd left it one room.

I had to try my setup - where I sit and my speakers in 3 different locations until I found the right one. Where I sit is across the small room, not down the long way, which is technically wrong but I go by feel and there's a lot of factors we can't see or measure involved.

Because of that, I wish I'd made everything less permanent. I spent too much time making sure the paint matched. Assume that in a few years, everything will be different. I've seen studios like Neil Young had that were in a barn with unfinished lumber and I'd lean more towards that versus going off on a 2 year bullshit routine making everything Hollywood. I'd go utility and comfortable. When you make holes in shelves to pass cables through, make them bigger than you need, or better yet a slot along the back of a shelf. Instead of wiring a zillion outlets in the room, just make a normal amount and mount 6-outlet strips on the walls. It's good to make some new circuits at your fuse box if you can and I have I think 4 dedicated 15 amp breakers for my studio.

In the end, I wish I'd never used drywall in my studio, or my whole house. I really hate drywall - it's chalk and cardboard! The reason it's popular is because there's no cheaper 4x8 anything. A week after you paint it it's got dents and needs redone. I would go for plywood and cover it with material, or maybe use lahala mats.

I understand that there are no absolutes, and as you say there are "best practices" and 20/20 hindsights, that's what I was going for with this thread. Looking for other peoples suggestions or "hey don'ts"

I really appreciate everyone chiming in.

Quick thought for planning...
Would building in a smaller iso for vocals make any sense? I keep wanting to make things difficult and think of all these scenarios. I suppose that is how one comes to the best situation for them...

I'm just trying to make the best use of the space I have to work with..the first time.

Also when you go to the one room approach, what is the best way to deal with cables.. I would like to avoid a mess of cables running right down the middle of the room.
Cable snake built in to a floor? Trap door? in the wall? along the wall? just deal with it?

I want to pick up Rods book too.. Where would you suggest I buy it?

Thanks all...

I use a 25' XLR/TRS snake.

In the end, I wish I'd never used drywall in my studio, or my whole house. I really hate drywall - it's chalk and cardboard! The reason it's popular is because there's no cheaper 4x8 anything.

You are totally incorrect. The REAL reason for its "popularity" is so you or your family don't end up in the morgue should your home catch fire,:rolleyes: Popularity has nothing to do with it. BUILDING CODES do. Drywall is mandatory in habitable structures because it has a FIRE RATING. I believe a two leaf assembly with 1/2" drywall on both sides of a stud framed wall is rated 1 HOUR.
That gives 1 hour for fire to burn through. Imagine a home sheithed entirely of plywood. Talk about a bonfire. You should thank your lucky stars you have drywall in your home instead of bitching about it. For the price, you can't buy better protection. And yea..its gypsum...thats the point...it DOESN"T BURN....DUH!

Would building in a smaller iso for vocals make any sense?

Absolutely:D(just kidding) Yes, with a caveat. Only if you have the space that doesn't reduce the minimum control room size. And is big enough to acoustically treat it to prevent comb filtering. In other words, don't build a booth 3'x3'..and THEN realize you forgot to allow for THICK absorption material.

I would suggest a minimum size 8' x 10' x as high as 10'. That way you can use it for drums as well. While your at it, if you have the opportunity from the get go, I would plan on an ISOLATED SLAB as well, to build a REAL decoupled booth.
fitZ

Ps. You can order Rods book through Amazon.

Rick...
I've got 20ft by 9 by 8high to work with..give or take a little...obviously give would be better, but what would your suggestion be on wise use of the space I have.. New construction in unfinished basement...
Thanks

Hello Matt. Ok, if you want some help, you need to help me. I need you to post some pictures of the room from all four directions and a few of your existing setup.

Then tell me for starters...
What is the existing HVAC and where is the main unit located?
What is your goal as far as isolating this basement from the rest of the house and or neighbors?
What type music are you planning on recording?
What brand and model of audio monitors do you have or are planning on using?
What does your recording system consist of.(ITB? Tape machines? Mixers? etc.

As far as the size is concerned, it'll be fine. Wait and see.:D
fitZ

Oh, btw, my very first suggestion is start saving for lots of 4" thick Rigid Fiberglass, or Mineral wool. Preferably Knauf...4x10 panels. You will see why later. However I don't know where you are located yet and don't know if its available where you are. Let me know your location...please.:)
fit

Hello Matt. Ok, if you want some help, you need to help me. I need you to post some pictures of the room from all four directions and a few of your existing setup.

Then tell me for starters...
What is the existing HVAC and where is the main unit located?
What is your goal as far as isolating this basement from the rest of the house and or neighbors?
What type music are you planning on recording?
What brand and model of audio monitors do you have or are planning on using?
What does your recording system consist of.(ITB? Tape machines? Mixers? etc.

As far as the size is concerned, it'll be fine. Wait and see.:D
fitZ

Hey Rick first off, I'm in Kansas City Missouri.
Now for the other questions.

In regards to the room, it's a piece of the basement. I can send you pics but right now there is a bunch of stuff in the way. Basically there is a 9ft length wall and a 20ft length in an "L" shape. Both concrete. The other walls will all be constructed. Concrete floors. And typical stud ceiling. I'll attach the floor plan for now. It was a new build home so I have that on hand. If you still need pics, I can do that in a day or so.

All new HVAC and it is located in the basement. You will see in diagram. There will also be walls built around it creating a room too.(Not for studio use)

The basement is completely underground and I don't have much of an issue isolating from neighbors, but i would like to isolate from the rest of the house as much as possible, within reason, especially the upstairs.

I am planning on recording all types of music. I have connection several genres, but probably rock the most. I would like to have a well rounded situation to accommodate anyone. Just vocalists, or full bands.

Right now i just have some M-audio BX5A monitors. I am looking to upgrade soon though.

My recording system consists of a Macbook Pro and a focusrite sapphire pro 26 interface. I plan on adding as I go but thats for starters. I'm in between recording software right now because I am researching that too, but have used Logic and GB.

I hope this helps you help me. If you need anymore info, let me know. Thank you for your help I really appreciate it.

Attachments

• flooruse015.gif
    flooruse015.gif
    56.9 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG00155.jpg
    IMG00155.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 68
Well, just for fun, here's what the front end of the CR COULD look like.:D(sorry about the size. My editing ap is on the blink.:mad:)

Attachments

• Matt1.jpg
    Matt1.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 51
Getting ready to do the framing rough in. No rock for a little while. I assume most of my treatment considerations other than filler/insulation can be faced after the frame goes up.

Back