ableton or..??

need advice:

ableton live, pro tools or logic?

whats best for producing and mixing electronic music?

getting a mac next week so have to decide whats best.

There is no "best" when it comes to music software.

However, Ableton is a pretty intuitive program. It's a great sketchpad.
And "Session View" makes things really easy as far as performing music goes.

Electronic Music?
I'd go for Ableton. For professionally recording acoustic material (by acoustic, I mean anything you're throwing a mic onto), I'd go with Logic or Pro Tools.

Logic is cheaper, so I'd suggest getting that if you're on a budget. Otherwise, I prefer Pro Tools by a long shot. That's just my personal opinion though.

Just wanted to add that for composing parts ableton is pretty fun and quick to work with. Not sure about for regular tracking / mixing - I've not used it for that.

thanks for the reply.
what if ill get both Pro tools and Ableton? how do they work together?
and whats good for recording and mixing vocals?

thanks for the reply.
what if ill get both Pro tools and Ableton? how do they work together?
and whats good for recording and mixing vocals?

I'm not too sure about Pro Tools in particular, but I use Cubase in conjunction with Ableton.
ReWire is great. It links the two together.

Also, I don't see any reason why Ableton can't handle recording and mixing vocals or recording any audio at all for that matter.
I record guitar, drums, and vocals into ableton all the time.

thanks. that really helps.
what ableton product would you recommend? live, suit ? does it make sense waiting for live 9?

you can do it all in Ableton as well, that's what everyone I work with as well as myself use. We produce everything from electro to full on bands with string sections and whatnot. The answer truly is: There is no best, it all comes down to personal preference, I just love Ableton, everyday I figure out something new that typically inspires a new track!

thanks. that really helps.
what ableton product would you recommend? live, suit ? does it make sense waiting for live 9?

It's tough to say. A matter of personal preference really. I personally use the standard version of Live because I had a huge sample and VST library already when I bought live 8. However when 9 and Push come out I'll be getting Suite.
If your budget allows, and you don't have a reason not to get suite then I'd go for suite.
Also I believe most retailers are now including a free upgrade to 9 if you buy 8 within this period.

it's hard to say what the "best" one is . . . it depends on what you are most comfortable using. I prefer Logic, personally.

It's tough to say. A matter of personal preference really. I personally use the standard version of Live because I had a huge sample and VST library already when I bought live 8. However when 9 and Push come out I'll be getting Suite.
If your budget allows, and you don't have a reason not to get suite then I'd go for suite.
Also I believe most retailers are now including a free upgrade to 9 if you buy 8 within this period.

Yes, Ableton is offering a free upgrade to 9 if you purchase 8 before it comes out (you're running out of time) you can always just get regular live and just buy the sample packs (instruments and vst plugins) you need to keep it cheap. But as kid said, if you have the money go for suite, it is amazing. You could also look into buying a cheap piece of hardware (say a <$100 midi controller) that comes with a lite version of live and update to suite for cheap... the choice is yours!!!

ok. a few more questions:
how ableton , roland synth (say juno), native instruments machine, microphone work together? are they all compatible?
what else should i get (plugins, other software for mixing, mastering etc)?
just dont wanna miss anything.

how ableton , roland synth (say juno), native instruments machine, microphone work together? are they all compatible?

the synth you can either run line in through an audio interface or run midi through a midi interface, machine I believe is usb, and a mic would be line in through an audio interface as well.

the synth you can either run line in through an audio interface or run midi through a midi interface, machine I believe is usb, and a mic would be line in through an audio interface as well.

Yep, that's it.

Maschine is an integrated hardware/software system.
So it runs as a plugin inside of Ableton and the controller connects via USB.

Ableton is a full featured program that will definitely get you more than settled in to recording.
I'd suggest getting familiar with it first and then as time goes on you'll start to have a better understanding of things you'd like to add to your setup. It can be incredibly overwhelming to have too much gear when you get started and having to learn all of it. I've learned this the hard way.

Ableton is a full featured program that will definitely get you more than settled in to recording.
I'd suggest getting familiar with it first and then as time goes on you'll start to have a better understanding of things you'd like to add to your setup. It can be incredibly overwhelming to have too much gear when you get started and having to learn all of it. I've learned this the hard way.

To add to what kid said, when you first install ableton, regardless of what version, there will be a sidebar with tutorials in it that range from beginner to intermediate. These will get you going very quickly, good luck man!!

Back