A very bright young girl

The secret (and I can't do it) is to have a really good knowledge of the fanous composers - especially mozart, beethoven and chopin, and a good understanding of the way they structured improvisations. The left hand is where I would fall down. The key feature is the way a chord is laid out and played - so it's a bit like when a modern musician thinks about a tune, and a supporting chord progression. That I can do. Melody and chords. That girl produces chords using established traditional left hand - and that is too hard, by far for me - because I can't think of the melody with the right hand AND a suitable progression with the left. She paused a few times when her melody got a bit clever and her left hand fell behind a bit. She's really clever. I wish I could do that. My favourite pianist who can do weird things is Rick Wakeman - who often takes live challenges - like this one to play classical versions of famnous songs - but turn them into medleys and this example where he had to play wrong notes in the middle.

Very talented young lady.....I can definitely do the wild card melody thing and make a song out of it but it is not going to have the classical touch or tricks to it that she does with ease and grace. The never remember thing is understandable as that was a shit ton of notes she whipped out...definitely went a bit away from the original 4 notes but she totally nailed turning it into a cool musical performance.

Yes, quite bright young lady. Channels open, instinct, hopefully she won't lose that as she ages and becomes a respectable adult, bound by those rules. The straight and narrow.

Yes, there are evident roots in traditional Classical music, and Romantic music, but also Serialism. See Shoenberg. Perhaps this guy can explain it better than I.

Last edited:
Interesting. You can also at points hear hints of Ragtime in there.

Before Yoko got her mitts into it and perhaps tainted the concept, Avante Garde music was sort of the ugly stepchild of Serialism and the straight and narrow that came before, and ushered in what could be considered a rebellion against predictability. We would not have a soundtrack for your favorite horror flick if not for the Avante Garde rebellion.

Last edited:
Why the heck was it everytime I tried to write Serialism it came out "Searlism". Is that even a word auto correct would force? Confused.

What first impressed me was that she first sung the notes accurately, before playing them.
If she did this exercise ten times, I wonder how different each piece would be.
I couldn't tell if she wandered off-piste, but the 4 notes were prominent throughout.
Some slight deviation is allowable, if it makes musical sense.

To me, as far as could you do this, I paused the video to ponder for a second what "this" would be. The expectation being it would be mpressive. In my instinct, or music sense, those 4 notes begged or at least suggested a desire for a resolve rather than an overall repetitive theme. Simple thinking, not particularly impressive. Yeah, she's a bright young lady

What first impressed me was that she first sung the notes accurately, before playing them.
If she did this exercise ten times, I wonder how different each piece would be.
I couldn't tell if she wandered off-piste, but the 4 notes were prominent throughout.
Some slight deviation is allowable, if it makes musical sense.

I was taught that this was a common technique in classical music. You start with a phrase or theme, and then you twist it, bend it, reverse it and return. Alma incorporated the 4 notes with different phrasing, changed up things, added extra notes to fill things out.

Back