A ton of Analog stuff coming up!!

mdainsd

I am at a stage in my life when it is time to downside. I started in 2011 to build a home analog studio, I had it running in various incarnations, But Im ready to let it go.
I will start posting pictures as I can. Mainly gauging if there is even interest as this forum seems to have slowed down a good deal.
Just a few things that I will be posting:
Tascam ATR24, with manuals, remote/auto locator. Less than 10 hours since new. Picture attached is not a catalog picture, it is a picture of my machine.
Sony APR24 (X2) with remote/auto locator, terchel connectors spare head stack, manuals.
DDA Q2 Console. Lots of spares including meter boards end caps and strips.
Dolby Spectral Recording 24 channel .
Otari MTR-10
Otari MTR-12
Lots of smaller stuff, but like I said i want to gauge if there is any interest here.
All located in San Diego.

Attachments

• Tascam.jpg
    Tascam.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
It’s rare to see an ATR80 for sale. I think that’s because people hang on to them. They came out in 1987…latest generation transport…a lot of people don’t realize this but the ATR80 was a pinnacle machine…truly professional. And reliable.

I have a friend who operated very busy and successful tape restoration and transferring service for many years…every format you could imagine…had an entire lab of highly customized tape machines from a certain American manufacturer. Excellence was achieved. He told me once were it not for the perceptions and opinions of his client base, he would have used the ATR80 as his base machine. He said the transport and over all build and design was that good.

I’d be curious about the amplifier circuit. I suspect it is similar to the circuit that was introduced with the 58 and MS16. They used the exact same amp card. It is a pretty schnazzy servo type circuit…similar to a Jensen Twin Servo amp. The design mitigates DC offset throughout the signal path therefore only needing a minimal number of electrolytic coupling caps reducing non-linearities and bandwidth limitations imposed by electrolytic caps. It’s pretty cool. So they introduced it with the 58, and then used the exact same card for the MS16, and then you find the same circuit in the 48, and ATR60 series machines as well. Of course with updated opamps as time progressed…the early 58s used 4558 opamps, then later 5532 I think. Anyway, @mdainsd if you’re willing to send me a scan or even a good pic of the R/P amp schematic for the ATR80 I could verify this.

Was there a typo in your first post or does the ATR80 seriously only have 10 or less hours on it?

If that’s the case and, of course, depending on what you have in mind for a price, somebody needs to get that machine. It’s truly a world class machine.

I did some research into who was still doing analogue and it was not quite what I expected. Split at the top and bottom of the age range. Looking carefully, I don't think it's even about sound quality - that always gets covered and ends up 50/50. I think it seems to be the younger folk who have grown up only knowing digital seeing and hearing something different that clearly defies the physics. Something they like and want to recreate - so the 'solution' is if budget allows, invest in old, well looked after, high mechanical quality equipment. The older folk (like me) know the physics very well, but also like the results analogue give, and being honest, seeing things move, real meters bounce and watching analogue gear do it's job makes you feel better. Somehow, despite the science, analogue feels good.The young people seem to tire quickly. Expecting something magical from the machines that was really, back in those days, really the human element. All those pioneering folk creating the famous recordings of the day - their skill was recording despite the machinery, not because of it. How many of the big names did not go digital as soon as they could? Why? because they could make better music, in less time and not keep running into barriers.

Those that kept analogue found it impacted on profitability, but it became art.

The gear list here looks impressive, but I suspect the key to disposing of it is just finding the right customers. I've told the story before, but the mixer I bought from Kate Bush's studio ended in the landfill skip because nobody actually wanted it. Loads were very interested, but everything conspired against them.

However - if you can find the right buyer, the prices can be held high. I really wish you luck, the gear list is impressive. The newcomers don't have the funds, so I guess you're looking for the grey collectors with money in the bank.

The ATR 80 used the same circuit topology as the Ampex 2" The ATR-80 was used on the first Traveling Wilburys album along with a ATR60-2 1/2" half track for mix down. Jeff Lynne wanted it painted black and a Ampex logo put on it. A few of the Tori Amos albums were done on one along with a few Dokken albums. Don used a Tascam M3500 mixer with his ATR 80. These are all 1st hand experience. mdainsd. did I ever work on yours? A big reason the younger players don't use analog is because they have to actually play the songs all the way though, not cut /copy/paste 20 tracks to get one useful track.

The ATR 80 used the same circuit topology as the Ampex 2" The ATR-80 was used on the first Traveling Wilburys album along with a ATR60-2 1/2" half track for mix down. Jeff Lynne wanted it painted black and a Ampex logo put on it.
I would like to know more of how Jeff Lynne made his music. His process. You got Jeff's number? I know his 'Telephone line' ..
A big reason the younger players don't use analog is because they have to actually play the songs all the way though, not cut /copy/paste 20 tracks to get one useful track.
haha
Those that kept analogue found it impacted on profitability, but it became art.
Guitars and Effects ; CAE 3 +, ADA, Eventide H3500SE(any 2 space H), KORG A's or 8000's anything up to 94-95-96'. Then it gets too digital. That late 80's period stuff is nice and granular. add the Whammy and IVL items. Like the XP-300
The gear list here looks impressive, but I suspect the key to disposing of it is just finding the right customers. I've told the story before, but the mixer I bought from Kate Bush's studio ended in the landfill skip because nobody actually wanted it. Loads were very interested, but everything conspired against them.
Older digital has no special identity. It only becomes obsolete..
However - if you can find the right buyer, the prices can be held high. I really wish you luck, the gear list is impressive. The newcomers don't have the funds, so I guess you're looking for the grey collectors with money in the bank.
Not forever.

Last edited:
Sorry about the delay, been very busy with work.
Sweetbeats, I will dig out the manual next week when I get back home. Yes 10 hours or less. I bought it from a studio in Hollywood 12 years ago. They had bought it new but never commissioned it. Guess they wanted to make the jump into Digital, and they had a couple of Studers that were still being used rarely in 2011. The Tascam, still on its pallet was put in storage, fortunatley in the dark and climate controlled. When I got it the alignment gauge was still taped to the mechanism under the top cover. I bet there isnt another new one out there anywhere.

Sorry about the delay, been very busy with work.
Sweetbeats, I will dig out the manual next week when I get back home. Yes 10 hours or less. I bought it from a studio in Hollywood 12 years ago. They had bought it new but never commissioned it. Guess they wanted to make the jump into Digital, and they had a couple of Studers that were still being used rarely in 2011. The Tascam, still on its pallet was put in storage, fortunatley in the dark and climate controlled. When I got it the alignment gauge was still taped to the mechanism under the top cover. I bet there isnt another new one out there anywhere.
Well that’s damn amazing. I’m sure you’re probably right…you might have the lowest use ATR80 in existence. I’d totally be interested but I’m sure the price of admission is way out of my league. Reverb would probably be the place I’d lost something like that, local pickup, or buyer welcome to arrange crating and freighting service…I’ve had a great experience with Craters & Freighters…

Your Dolby SR unit…so what do you have there…like a loaded 24-channel XP series rack frame and a PS2 or PS3 power supply unit? Cabling?

Well that’s damn amazing. I’m sure you’re probably right…you might have the lowest use ATR80 in existence. I’d totally be interested but I’m sure the price of admission is way out of my league. Reverb would probably be the place I’d lost something like that, local pickup, or buyer welcome to arrange crating and freighting service…I’ve had a great experience with Craters & Freighters…

Your Dolby SR unit…so what do you have there…like a loaded 24-channel XP series rack frame and a PS2 or PS3 power supply unit? Cabling?
Ill see what is with the S/R. I know its a full rack with all 24 cards and a power supply. I dont remember any cabling. Sorry I am away from this so much. Trying to liquidate a lifetime's worth of "stuff". The studio part is just a small part. There are drums and Military vehicles, and large scale models and off road vehicles...well I think you get the picture.

I am at a stage in my life when it is time to downside. I started in 2011 to build a home analog studio, I had it running in various incarnations, But Im ready to let it go.
I will start posting pictures as I can. Mainly gauging if there is even interest as this forum seems to have slowed down a good deal.
Tascam ATR24, with manuals, remote/auto locator. Less than 10 hours since new. Picture attached is not a catalog picture, it is a picture of my machine.
Sony APR24 (X2) with remote/auto locator, terchel connectors spare head stack, manuals.
Otari MTR-10
Otari MTR-12
Lots of smaller stuff, but like I said i want to gauge if there is any interest here.
Interesting Stuff - I don't record on Tape anymore - used to live in San Diego - Mission Hills - I would be tempted to buy it all just to remind myself how difficult tape really was.

Otari MTR-10
Otari MTR-12

Hi. What are you asking for the Otaris each? What kind of condition are they in? Im in LA and would pick up if interested. I am more interested in the MTR-12. If you can PM me with details or post here, it would be great thank you.

Last edited:
Back