A Studios Main Vocal Mic choices please...

sponge bob said:
Yep, I'm afraid if I use it on just one mic, I'll be stuck with no options if I run into someone who has one of those voices that just doesn't work with that mic.

Didn't you say you already had a couple of 4033's and a C1?

chessrock said:

Didn't you say you already had a couple of 4033's and a C1?

Yep. I get what you mean. I love the 4033's. They have been my bread and butter mics for a while.

This whole process has been like being "wheened" from mama. I had access to a buddies incredible mic closet, but he's moving. All his suggestions are way out of my league right now. My new partner and I do hope to buy more mics obviously as funds come.

Anyway, thank you guys for all your help. I will be weighing it all & making a wise choice as we get closer to our opening day- in mid June.

Sometimes the best "deals" on new equipment are in January-
after Christmas...

Also keep in mind that large diaphram dynamic microphones like
the Shure SM7, EV RE20, and the Sennheiser 421 can serve in
multi-purpose roles, including voiceovers.
There's a company called something like "World Broadcast Supply"
that has sold SM-7's and RE 20's new for less than most other
dealers.

Chris

A suggestion about "all around vocal mics"... They don't really exist, not even a U87 sounds great on everyone. There are a few mics that you can stick in front of anyone and will do such a good job you won't need to change but those mics cost a ton...

For example the Sony C 800 G, for $7000 you can have THE mic that is used (usually rented) in most every major studio several times a year....

Or if you are really lucky (read: RICH) you could have a couple of vintage U47s (you can usually score a pair for $14,000) but then you would spend that much a couple of more times for maintenence...

In other words, unless you do have $20,000 - $30,000 to spend on mics, you will never have ONE mic that will satisfy everyone...

My vote in the under $1,000 always goes to the AT 4050... It is well rounded (so to speak) and works great for more than just vox... and it sounds like you've already had great results with AT.

Also... I would make the NTK my second choice...

I'm not saying don't buy the Dragonfly or TLM103 etc. I just like the 4050 best...

the stephen paul mic is coming out...if i had 2000 to spend on mics and i wanted a "main" vocal mic i would probably get a stephen paul mic for (estimated price) 1600 bucks and spend the other 400 on something else, like a few sm57's.

the stephen paul mic will be world class and probably be the "buzz" in the recording industry.

That would be Broadcast Supply Worldwidel. Toll free number is 800 426 8434. Web site is www.bswusa.com.

By the way, what about Brauner mics. I hear they are quite good and there is a new model for less than $1,500.00.

I would be giving serious thought to a Neumann. I personally am not a microphone snob, but, the Neumann name is so well known (for good reason of course), I feel you can probably rationalise some of the extra money as "advertising". I personally have not compared the U87 to a C1, but they are supposed to be similar. (the U87 is supposed to sound more natural off-axis... that's what I heard from Nika at sweetwater). Anyway, I compared my S.P. T3 to a U149 once... Neumann's arn't famous for nothing, the presence was very, very impressive. Of course a U149 is out of budget, but the U147 isn't...
I've heard the TLM103 as well, it too has a really impressive presence... So, I'm not sure which Neumann, but, I would keep in mind the value of the Neumann name and that your C1 may already have the U87 range covered.

here is a link to stephen pauls forum, you will have to register..but its a great site...alan hyatt has a forum there too.

http://www.recording.org/cgi-local/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000203

this is a thread where there is alot of discussion about the new mic. Steven Paul has a method of making the thinnest diaphrame thats ever been (measured in sub microns) and he's the only one in the world that can do it. he modifies high end mics for alot of pro engineers and recording artists. if he can make a $2000 mic better, you know his mics are going to be wold class.

Here's a copy of an e-mail I got on Sept. 29th:

News release!
http://www.recording.org/cgi-local/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000203

The Mike has been handed off gang! The original prototype still has a little work to go, a few machining jobs here and there....

BUT... I handed off the design this week! YAAAAYYYY!

I can tell you just a wee bit.

Grille: 304 Stainless Steel, Die Shaped No more bashed grilles, 'cos the drummer mistook the mike for his drumhead!
And die shaped to kill standing waves. Not just some dumb screen wrapped in a circle 'round a cutout in a cylinder.

The FET:
A custom spec'd device I have made from custom dies. The other guys all spec a cheap shit FET and just trace'em for noise. I am using a FET that I love the SOUND of, and is so high end, that the noise spec doesn't NEED tracing!

Good Sound.

The Capsule Suspension:
A whole other ballgame from that stupid hard rubber non-isolating isolator that every one from Neumann to the Chinese use.

This will ensure you can whack your foot on the floor as you play that once in a lifetime guitar track, and no thumping gets into the mike, even without a four hundred dollar suspension, which doesn't help mechanically transmitted stand-borne vibrations in the least anyhow!

Custom Jensen Transformer:
Not just a transformer, but the best damn transformer in the fleet! And I don't mean the enema!

see the thread

Go Stephen!!!!!!!
http://www.Recording.org
Created for musicians, by musicians

Gotta admit, it sounds intriguing...

cool littledog,
thats an excerpt from the thread i just gave the link to...theres is alot more real good stuff on that thread

Instead of listing what I think you should buy and add to the confusion – I'll list what I think you shouldn't buy.

U87 – better mics out there now for less $.
TLM103 – a C1 is a better mic, IMO.

Ok, fuck it. $2000

Soundelux U195 $1125 This mic is a bad mother. Amazing on vox and acoustic gtr and anything else you stick it on.

Studio Projects B3 $159 These mics are a great alternative to the 414 and every bit as versatile. Get a pair. You can use them on drums, OH's, acoustic gtr, piano, vox. Get a pair.

Studio Projects T3 $549 [ if you look around ] Brilliant multi-pattern tube mic. Puts that "air" and smooth bass reponse in your music.

MXL 603S $64 each from Shreve Audio. Gotta' have a pair of small condensers and these are the best inexpensive ones and they have a wide cardioid pattern. Get a pair.

Shure SM57.$79. No way you can not have a couple of these classic dynamics for amps, drums, vox, whatever.

OK, let's add this up. $2278

I regulary use and audition tons of mics, and this list is the shit for around two grand for a solid project studio mic locker.

----------------
Dan Richards
Digital Pro Sound

Dot said:
I regulary use and audition tons of mics, and this list is the shit for around two grand for a solid project studio mic locker.

Except that it hasnt got a single large diaphragm dynamic such as EV RE20, Shure SM7, Sennheiser MD421 MD441 and such.
Which makes it a cabinet that lacks versitality.... for $2000 that's bad. Not a single good kick mic either.

Hi,
Get one of these: http://microphones.ru/LOMO/LOMO_19A19.html .In my opinion this must be one of the best mics ever. I've done A-B tests with old Microtech gefells's (Neumann) and this one is amazing. Get one made around 1970 and you'll be very happy! Don't know about the prices today though.

I think the microphone capsule of this LOMO is available for the Oktava MC12...Correct me if I'm wrong.

Another option is to try to get the stereo mic made by the Swedish company Pearl (yes..Pearl). Also one of the best I've heard. It was included in the A-B tests. Price could be high though, hand made stuff.

Hans,
www.hagen.nu

I have the following in the LDC department:

Rode NTK
AKG C4000b
Alesis (Groove Tubes) AM11
Oktava MK319
Marshall V67
CAD E300

but I'd sell most of them if I could get ahold of a Lawson L251.

Back