a song with rats and betty rumble

rats

This one is called electro! and I tried my first final mixdown in probably six months or so. In that aspect I'm very open to technical criticism, or any for that matter. This is a song I wrote in 1998 and recorded myself under teh moniker 'Juicy', now it is redone with my band the Blue Sunrays and Betty Rumble is sharing the vocals with me. This is up now on her website, please listen and let us know what you think.

http://www.soundclick.com/pro/default.cfm?BandID=44401&content=music

This was all recorded on an Audiophile 2496, multitracked, mixed and edited in Cool Edit Pro 2.0. I used a lot of Waves plug ins, and mastered it in T-Rax. Guitars are Strats and a Japanese Jazz Master, drums all live, we recorded one track at a time.:rolleyes:

You may find it a bit of a happy noise fest! :D

Ugh!!!!!!

This song is horrible! The guitar resembles the sounds of a drunk vomiting, the kit sounds like the metal plate in my uncle's head and the vocals....OH LAWD, THE VOCALS!! That just HAS to be the WORST I have EVER,EVER,EVER heard!!! Please, don't quit your day jobs, because this song shows there is ABSOLUTELY NO TALENT here! This SUCKS REAL BAAAAAAAAAAAD!!!!!!!!!!

....oops! i thought I was reviewing a FT/Def'd Cocklick song!

Sorry about that! I'll check it out when I get home! I have no soundcard here at work!;) :p ;)

Hey rats and Betty:

This is the kind of strange punkish stuff I have come to expect from you ratso.
It seems very well mixed together and Betty seems to have a good vocal going, or is that you rats on bkups:D

It's well done work, are you guys gona take it on the road now??

THank you HEavy--- and Q---- Love your sense of humor!!!!!

I really enjoyed working with Rats and I love this tune!

Love the riff rats - I feel it's a shame betty didn't send you the dry version as you've had to verb it all out to match her so you both dissappear into a wall of verb.

Mix sounds fine apart from that ;)

cheers
john

Hey John--- actually I did give up three versions--- 2 dry -1 heavy.

Since I dont know spit about mixing and such---- Ill let Rats answer;) ;)

thank you everybody for checking our colab out.

Very cool song. The vocal reverb is throwing me off also. It sounds like the predelay isn't in time or something. Generally it sounds kinda crappy but it's got a cool vibe to it. I don't know what level of quality you are going for though.

Nassssteeeeeeeee!!! This slammmmmy induces images of hard-@ss,stanky-funk SEX!!!!! Git riff @ 2:30 flowed madddd tite!
Mizz Betty, pls forgive me, but your lyrical perf at the beginning of the song made me horn-eee!!! A bit less 'Verb on vocs, IMO, is all
that this joint needs but otherwise I enjoyed this collabo-rgy immensely from U peeps! 5*****!

Me so horny rite now!

Very Nice! Kind of reminds me of what it would sound like if Nina Hagen got into a car crash with Syd Barret, at the bottom of a well. It rocks!

I expect to see Betty doing a guest spot at a Blue SunRays show!

Can some-1 PLEASE tell me why ratso rizzo & Mizz Betty's thread here in this forum has over a hunnert&7 views but ONLY 8
replies!!!???

That's some weak-@ss sh#t!:mad:

Good stuff, thanks peeps!

mysterious2Qs- I dont know, but its been seeing some action over at the Listening Room so that's OK! Its interesting the way things have changed around here, no?
Collaborgy! I love that! :D I'm very glad you liked it, as I can see you have a wide spectrum of music you embrace! Will take note of the reverb thingermadoodle!!! Thank you for all the kind words, I AM humbled!

Rich Whitey! - Nina and Syd- WHOA!!! I love them both - 'cept nunsexmonkrock was the ONLY Nina Hagen album I could get into- but I loved it! An all time favorite actually! I take it the well thing is as a result of the vocal effect?

Texxroadhouseblues- I'm glad you like the song! Been gettin a LOT of negatory feedback on the vocal effects. Thats definitely on the agenda. For the record, I basically NEVER purposefully go for the LO-FI sound, it just ends up coming out that way. :rolleyes: We'd like to get the best possible recording we can with the tools we have! I'm really a hack but trying to pick up little things on the way to improve on these things. Gracias!

Johnny say-say: Good to hear from you old dog! I have more voc tracks - will experiment! Mix sounds OK huh? GOOD!!! Cheers!

Hevy- Yes!!! Betty's the chick and I'm the guy! Dont know how else to put it!!:D :eek: Yeah we'll take this song to our live shows. It usually a set closer. Hopefully we'll get betty out there to the shows at last sometimes to perform with us.

thanks everyone for the feedback--- I gotta say one thing though--- I am completely into distortion--- we all know that-- THe kind I like usually makes your ears hurt---- Since becomming a member here I have found that most of you dont like that, but I still really do-- I will be learning how to make it the way I still like it and yet learn from you all------

I think Rats and I made a great team. THe little tweaks needed --- I know he can handle.

ANyways this was so much fun!!!!! Yep I am gonna get up on stage with Rat and the Sunrays and do this one with them...

thanks again ------

This turned out pretty darn good.The only downside is the amount of effects drenching bettys vocal.Maybe she could come over and do the vocal dry at your place rats?Give her some effects in the headphones but print to tape dry......gives you a whole lot of freedom at mixdown with effects etc.......you already know that though:eek: ...pretty kickin tune dudes and dudette!

[edit to add]I see you already have some dry tracks.:eek:

Here's 5 stars in case the one star bandick comes along.

thanks -;) ;) ;)

I always record with the effect that i am going for each song--- I cant stand to dry record----

I myself go for a complete different sound than what everyone here is used to -- I think.

I will have tons and tons of questions soon---

I am glad that everyone took the time to check this out for us----

Rats is wonderful with his equiptment-----

he will get the kinks out---- Myself I would not change one tiny bit of my voc------ I think the mix of Rats and me is killer and funky ---
I also think the sound is overpowering in my opening part--- but I am a sex cravin maniac--- ( in the song;) ) So I think it fits---

but I am not a tec person --- everyone else here is and I value everyones imput!!!

Love ya all!!! thanks Betty

If you're really interested, there's a new file I uploaded over here

http://www.recordingproject.com/bbs...start=25&sid=96e49c335ac87634fb604afd834aed08

I did a new mixdown trying out something different like turning the bass and treble down from 10 to 5 on my receiver.:rolleyes:

kramer thanks for the feedback. I've been listening to the intro a bit pondering this issue, because a few peeps have expressed their discontent. However I decided I like it. Check out the new mix and tell me if you still feel the same. Thanks for the stars!

From an engineering standpoint, I am impressed how you achieved such a distressed analog sound with digital recording chains!:)

As to the performance, you guys did a great job on this one!

Lots of energy and emotion in the vox and guitar work. Kudos to you and Missy.

I am sure, live on stage, this song would work even better then the piece by piece assembly.

Cheers! :)

wow, this is very different.............

I like the vocals on both sides of the coin.

very new age music here, a touch of 80's i feel.
the "lofi" sound suits the style.

what a bridge!!

yiordanaki

Cool song, lots of energy. Guitars a little indistinct at times and the snare disappears during the chorus. I like the mucho reverb. Don't think I've ever heard a sound quite like it, almost unearthly. Good vocals & backing vox. Highly original, enjoyed it a lot

Back