A song i made.. do listen ;)

Really good, if I were to say anything, could use a bit more overall high end.

Is this a cover song?

At about 20 seconds on to when the vocal starts, there's a huge amount of clipping/distortion going on, is that intentional? It happens again on the guitar tracks when the bass comes again at 1:11.

Really nice recording. Great tune too.
There is some serious crackle/clipping sounds in the middle. It may be intentional though.
Good job.

This is a weird one for me to judge. The song may need the desired levels for your vision of it.

I myself would consider it not yet polished, but that is just me.

The vocals get harsh, the heavy guitars are not thick enough at the needed points of the tune, and there is a huge amount of noise at the intro.
But, like I said, not my decision. Just opinion.

Good stuff tho man! Props!

@dm60: thanks, it's an original. The song however is a poem by this person called Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev, he's a contemporary mystic of our time.
What exactly do you mean by overall high end? And how do i boost it?

@mjbphotos: not intentional exactly, i didnt bother removing it. I kinda prefer the rustic recordings like oasis to the ultra modern cut to cut recordings. still how do i remove it? do i put a gate plugin?

---------- Update ----------

@jimistone: thanks man, yes there is noise... didn mix it fully yet. need more tips

@jimmys69: yes its not polished yet, it's unmixed and unmastered... how do i thicken the guitars? i added a compressor and eq to the acoustic that's about it. nothing to the electric and bass. How do i thicken the electric? It sort of goes into the background when the rock starts. Noise yes... ill try adding a gate to the acoustic.

The acoustic guitar part was really cool. Very nice singing voice. Tone on the guitar and vocals was very good.

The drums sound OK. But the snare has a reverb on it that none of the other tracks have.

My biggest problem is with the low end. The bass is rather indistinct, but still quite loud (at least in most spots). The low end is a bit out of control.

Boy this is a hard one to judge. What a wonderful song. It has such a magical quality, that I want to check all my mixing instincts. I worry that as soon as you start applying all the various mixing suggestions I would make, that the track would lose its magic as it got polished.

Gosh I'd love to be mixing this one.

Thoughts:

-Acoustic sounds great
-Lead vocal is wonderful. Nice tone, good level. Great voice.
-Background vocals are delightful
-Bass sounds flabby. Give it some punch and clarity to drive the track.
-Don't love the snare when it first comes in, but love it at 1:42 forward. What changed? Feels like it needs a bigger reverb send until 1:42.
-Rhythm work starting at 1:42 could be fattened up, and spread much wider to give the track a sense of opening up
-I don't like the fuzzy rhythm guitar at 1:57, it's distracting from an otherwise beautiful ambiance
-Grand dynamic change from start of song til the end is refreshing

This song takes me on a magical journey and I worry that too much mixing attention will chip away at that. I would approach the mix with a cautious, delicate hand.

Thanks so much for sharing this with us.

Yeah, it's beautiful. There's a ton of noise on some tracks though. If you got your hands on something like Audition or Isotope (yeah, right) you could get rid of it easily. But I'm thinking you should actually try boosting that stuff - make that crackly stuff louder - it'll come across as an effect rather than a blight.

that was really nice - the distortion did sort of stand out as misplaced, but if that was intentional, then so be it. All the distortion I heard was the kind I usually try to avoid - makes me think of hard clipping in solid state analog components with lots of 3rd order harmonics happening where it's not wanted. The snare sounds a little cardboard-y on my system, but also useable - you might check for phase issues among the snare track(s) and overhead track(s). The toms sound pretty good.

The acoustic guitar recording sounds really good. I couldn't even hear the "heavy" guitars until I sat right in front of my speakers and concentrated - but again, not a bad thing - they help create the overall sound.

I like the vocal track - at times it sort of goes behind the other instruments in a way that is different from what I've been going for recently in my mixes. That's a style thing, of course, and sometimes I think I'm going too far in the other direction.

I like Brian Miller's suggestions, and part of me is like - give me those raw tracks and let me have a go! Thinking that through, he's probably right - I'd be as likely to mess it up as to improve it :)

@antichef: thanks so much for the feedback.
What do you mean by phasing issue between the snare and overhead tracks?

The heavy guitars, yes il upload a better mix soon. Would love it if you guys mix this, I will upload the files on dropbox asap.

Also quick question, I found that if I record with some plugins on the mix already, It kinda sounds better while the actual recording process. is that ok? or should I record without anything on?
Thanks

I thought this was really good. I didn't really hear the clipping that people have mentioned. Snare sounds fine to me, but after the excesses of the 80's most snares are relatively dry to my ears. :D

What do you mean by phasing issue between the snare and overhead tracks?
I know nothing about how you recorded the drums, and so it's possible that everything I say will mean nothing. If there is more than one microphone hearing the snare, then it's possible that the recordings from the different microphones, when combined, will introduce phase cancelation problems resulting in the snare sounding less full than it otherwise would. It can be difficult to test, but if you do have multiple tracks from the various microphones, you can listen to each one individually, and then add others one by one and see if the snare loses anything when you do. If it does, then you can often resolve the issue by using a phase tweaking plugin. In the simplest case, where you have a microphone above and below the snare, often you can simply reverse phase on one of the tracks to resolve the problem. (if there's a problem)

Also quick question, I found that if I record with some plugins on the mix already, It kinda sounds better while the actual recording process. is that ok? or should I record without anything on?
Thanks

You're over my head with this one :) -- if you're using the UAD Apollo, I know some of the UAD plugins actually change analog properties like impedance in order to emulate their hardware counterparts. But absent that, it's hard for me to imagine that there would be a difference between recording with a plugin and adding it later, except that sometimes a plugin that makes things sound better in the headphones can improve the performance of the singer or musician, and certainly a plugin that changed the sound of a guitar could have an impact if the output sound was feeding back through the guitar - but I doubt that would be significant. In both of those cases, latency would be the enemy of goodness.

Back