A reasonably priced diffusor for home studios.

I called and talked to a MIO rep. The acoutic weave does not have a fire rating. They are simply "paper" He did indicate the tiles could be painted with a fire resistant paint. He did point out that since these are relatively thin panels - the amount of "fuel" (ignitable material) is limited.

They do have fire rated tiles that have a fire rating - for commercial applications - which cost more.

I asked if they had recieved any feedback from studio clients. Since this is a relatively new product, they don't have any real feedback and in fact have not yet recieved any actual "inventory" (they expect inventory this month). They are based in Philly - and did indicate a small local studio does intend to try the product (when they get some inventory).

I'm not convinced that on a limited basis these tiles pose much more risk than egg cartons, moving blankets or many other "sound treatment" options used in home studios. I don't know if trying to paint them with file resistant paint would be worth the extra cost or effort (you would likely have to first paint with a primer/sealant and then paint with fire resitant paint - a lot of cost and effort).

I would not want to cover entire walls with something that is not flame resistant - but for a side of a gobo or a door in a vocal booth - it may be an acceptable risk.

I plan to order a 12 pack (I've spent $30 on plenty of other dumb things) to try. If and when I get them and if this thread still has any life - I'll try to post a user comment.

If they any diffusion characteristics, you can buy them and use it as a jig for
a fiberglass(e.g. hard) model.
For 30 smacks it'd worth a try by someone that has time and extra mula.

It should at least work minimally for breaking up standing waves in the upper
frequency no? which us home reccers have trouble with in the tracking side of things. But is it worth vs absorption? close in cost, but the risk?

Mikeh, glad your steeping up to try these out. It would be alot of effort prime and paint, but with a spray gun, it might be less work. But it would up the total cost.
Please do post a review on these.

T

Back