A reasonably priced diffusor for home studios.

I really doubt their usefulness. Generally things made of paper, don't do so well for sound treatment. Also, they are probably quite the fire hazard.

The other thing I remember hearing, is that a proper diffusor has varying depths and thicknesses of material to diffuse across the entire frequency range. Those look more like pretty decorations than anything useful.

Simon

FALKEN said:
i was thinking that too but if it is solid paper it might be heavy enough.
Remember, we are not talking about this being for soundproofing or absorbtion but diffusion. What matters most in diffusion is the shape.

Since these are being manufactured exclusively for wall covering I am hoping that they have had some fire-resistant chemicals or fibers mixed in. Dense cardboard in general is not as flamable as fabric or paper or foam.

Realistically they may be OK since simply due to their depth and spacing, they'll not be very effective as a diffusor under maybe a couple kHz. At that frequency, the thickness won't likely be an issue. I'm more concerned about the large gap where the panels fit together that appears to be essentially flat.

Bryan

i think your math is off a little bit seeker....

from what i gather, it would cost more like 60 bucks to cover a 4'x6' area.

zed32 said:

I think he didn't realize that the 30 bucks was for a package of 12.

As for the small flat areas I don't think that it is quite necessary to cover ever every square inch, just as with absorbtion.

i think some of the claims made regarding "standing waves" and such seem dubious. it would be good if they had dispersion information on their products to disclose the frequency range they affect etc... i think the lack of technical information should be viewed as one possible difference between this product and other manufacturers with proper disclosure and realisitic claims on what their product is actually able to do.

I guess the question is, how many home studios would really benefit from diffusion? Since most of us are in small rooms, absorption seems like the better option. Maybe I could use them to cover one side of some gobos if I need a more reflective surface for tracking...

Up high end to end they might be OK to help with the slap a bit as long as it doesn't get in the way of bass control.

As for the flat spot, well, I guess the only way to find out would be to try them.

Bryan

Hell I just may drop $90 on these and give them a try. I have 2 walls with about 60% absorbtion and 2 bare walls in my tracking room. I bet it would be better than having just plain ole drywall. Yep, I'm going to do it. I'll report back how well they work. Maybe a before and after drum track.

zed32 said:
reasonable priced indeed. i wonder what Ethan thinks of these.

Their profile is too thin to diffuse well to a low enough frequency, and unless they're filled solid they probably don't reflect very well either. I'm not aware of that pattern either. This doesn't mean that it can't be a good diffusor were it deeper and more solid. It just means I don't know if the pattern is any good.

I think you should contact the company and ask them if they have any test data showing the effectiveness of the diffusion, with polar plots etc. Let us know how they reply.

--Ethan

gullfo said:
i think some of the claims made regarding "standing waves" and such seem dubious. it would be good if they had dispersion information on their products to disclose the frequency range they affect etc... i think the lack of technical information should be viewed as one possible difference between this product and other manufacturers with proper disclosure and realisitic claims on what their product is actually able to do.
Diffusion is not so easily measured and documented as absorbtion. Go to Auralex's web site and see if you can find any test reports on their diffusors. I couldn't.

Ethan Winer said:
Their profile is too thin to diffuse well to a low enough frequency, and unless they're filled solid they probably don't reflect very well either. I'm not aware of that pattern either. This doesn't mean that it can't be a good diffusor were it deeper and more solid. It just means I don't know if the pattern is any good.

I think you should contact the company and ask them if they have any test data showing the effectiveness of the diffusion, with polar plots etc. Let us know how they reply.

--Ethan
The web site describes them as being made from recycled paper so I am guessing that they are kind of a dense cardboard. They also say that they are stackable for shipping so I am presuming that they are hollow. I would guess that there would be nothing stopping you from prior to installing filling the indentations in the backside with plaster. I would definitly agree that they are not a substitute for bass traps. When I saw them I thought about the possibility of using them on inside of the door to the vocal booth I am planning on building someday with absorbtion on the other three walls. I also think that scrubbs' idea of putting them on the opposite side of some gobos has merit.

You might try mineral fiber for filler behind them. For $30 it's worth a try for someone to do it. (my room's already treated well)

zed32 said:

Oh crap, I missed the 'per 12 sf' in that didn't I? It must have been behind my wine bottle on the screen ;)

Now that is a hell of a price if they work.

Back