A Pop Tune

PDP

There once was a note
This was the first song I recorded on my DAW, I decided to re-record it. All comments welcome.

Pete

Attachments

• Sang4UMp3.mp3
    6.7 MB · Views: 37
hey Pete, i like it...Im on my intraweb PC so not much on the mix, though it translated well on these multi media speakers (always a good sign)

its bouncy, poppy, and breezy...and short/long enough to keep interest...great pop harmonies and changes...

If I had a criticism Id say the snare is little thuddy and out of time at one bit near the end when you go into the "I sang for you" repeat part, theres a fill that just seems out a bit, it might be me...the vocals sound a little tuned but it works in this

great ending and piano solo part...a lot packed into 3 mins bud :)

I liked this one a lot PDP - it's the kind of inventive pop music you unfortunately don't seem to hear knocking around the charts these days. Kind of reminded me of the more experimental side of Ben Folds in parts. The harmonies and interaction of the vocal parts really works and the effect on the lead gives it a real 70s AM radio feel.

Only thing I picked up on was what sounded like pumping from the guitar/drum part, which was more noticable in the introduction. Like a compressor when it's sucking - don't know if it's my imagination or anyone else can hear it?

Good work though Pete - has it evolved much over the years?

I hear the 'sucking' as well. Wait, that didn't sound right. I mean the drums don't seem to have the air that they should. The snare especially has that quality that has it's life sucked out of it. It seems to take away from the liveliness of the vocal track. Which is quite cool btw. My suggestion would be to work with the drums and their 'space' in the mix. I would have some fun mixing this tune. :D

If I had a criticism Id say the snare is little thuddy and out of time at one bit near the end when you go into the "I sang for you" repeat part, theres a fill that just seems out a bit, it might be me...the vocals sound a little tuned but it works in this
:)

Thanks Keith,
yup, I low passed the snare way to much, it has no air.
I could back off the perfect vocal tuning too.
As always thanks for the listen and helpful ideas

I liked this one a lot PDP - it's the kind of inventive pop music you unfortunately don't seem to hear knocking around the charts these days. Kind of reminded me of the more experimental side of Ben Folds in parts. The harmonies and interaction of the vocal parts really works and the effect on the lead gives it a real 70s AM radio feel.

Only thing I picked up on was what sounded like pumping from the guitar/drum part, which was more noticable in the introduction. Like a compressor when it's sucking - don't know if it's my imagination or anyone else can hear it?

Good work though Pete - has it evolved much over the years?

Thanks Rob,
I was listening to alot of 1970s Todd Rundgren stuff before doing this, thus the heavy multi tracked vox.
Yup, The song has evolved over time this version is quite different.
I just upgraded to Ozone 5 so I have to get used to the new limiter, thanks for pointing that out.

I hear the 'sucking' as well. Wait, that didn't sound right. I mean the drums don't seem to have the air that they should. The snare especially has that quality that has it's life sucked out of it. It seems to take away from the liveliness of the vocal track. Which is quite cool btw. My suggestion would be to work with the drums and their 'space' in the mix. I would have some fun mixing this tune. :D

Thanks Jimmy, I was thinking this song would benefit from stem mastering, like your saying the vox treatment doesnt work on the other instruments.

Overall I'm kinda un-happy with my "acoustic sound" tunes, they just sound small to me (probably why I overdid the loudness) I'm using an M-Audio Audiophile 192 and It just sounds dull to me, but no one seems to have a definative answer if say an RME 9632 will sound better. Steinberg just released the ur28m, has good reviews and integrates with Cubase. IDK ???

Any shared experience would be appreciated.
Pete

I was thinking this song would benefit from stem mastering, like your saying the vox treatment doesnt work on the other instruments.

Overall I'm kinda un-happy with my "acoustic sound" tunes, they just sound small to me (probably why I overdid the loudness) I'm using an M-Audio Audiophile 192 and It just sounds dull to me, but no one seems to have a definative answer if say an RME 9632 will sound better. Steinberg just released the ur28m, has good reviews and integrates with Cubase. IDK ???

Pete

I would say that t is not necessarily the 'mastering' or interface that is of issue here. More the use of what you have recorded. Via plugins or whatever, the goal is to get everything in the same space and allowing the song itself to come through. You have the song and talent, just needs some massaging in the mix.

Real nice song, Pete!
Sounds very professional to me. Yeah, the snare could use some bottom sound maybe, it sounds a bit too dull. But otherwise, I really like the mix. Good work!

Real nice song, Pete!
Sounds very professional to me. Yeah, the snare could use some bottom sound maybe, it sounds a bit too dull. But otherwise, I really like the mix. Good work!

Thanks Joey appreciate the listen.

The low end is pretty boomy to me. It's also really loud. The whole mix could use some space. It seems really squashed and two dimensional. It's like everything is right up front beating my head in. That would be fine if this were metal, but it isn't. Back off the master compression/limiting. The sounds all sound pretty good except the snare. It's kind of weak and thin sounding. The vocals are good but I think they're too on top unless it's the "mastering" making it seem that way.

The low end is pretty boomy to me. It's also really loud. The whole mix could use some space. It seems really squashed and two dimensional. It's like everything is right up front beating my head in. That would be fine if this were metal, but it isn't. Back off the master compression/limiting. The sounds all sound pretty good except the snare. It's kind of weak and thin sounding. The vocals are good but I think they're too on top unless it's the "mastering" making it seem that way.

Thanks for the listen Greg, All good points I'm working on.

Your right an acoustic song doesnt need to pound out the speakers.

Yeah the low end is out of control. You have some low end frequencies, mostly on the bass, that are really dominating. I think you could turn the bass level down a few dbs. Then you need to notch some frequencies out. not sure where they are, but I'm guessing somewhere below 100hz.

The vocals aren't terribly clear. They sound a little cloudy, especially the backing vox (but to an extent the lead too). The instruments cover up the lead vocal a little bit in spots. The harmony vocals cover the lead big time.

Some of the drum programming sounds a little unnatural - some of the fills.

The good stuff - I love the harmonies. Turn them down a little. But they're great.

Love the song. Very catchy. the melody will be in my head for a while now. Liked the outro.

Yeah the low end is out of control. You have some low end frequencies, mostly on the bass, that are really dominating. I think you could turn the bass level down a few dbs. Then you need to notch some frequencies out. not sure where they are, but I'm guessing somewhere below 100hz.

The vocals aren't terribly clear. They sound a little cloudy, especially the backing vox (but to an extent the lead too). The instruments cover up the lead vocal a little bit in spots. The harmony vocals cover the lead big time.

Thanks for the listen Trip,

Yeah bass needs correcting,

You've mentioned the vocal murkyness before, its not the recording, my voice is literally the level of a whisper so it doesnt drive the mic or pre-amp, imagine trying to get a good sound with the volume on your guitar set on 2.

Thanks again, always appreciate the help.

I think the vocal recording is probably OK. What processing are you doing? I'm hearing some autotune in spots. I'm hearing a general buildup at around 800hz - 1Khz or so. Am I hearing a high end EQ roll off on the backing vocals? What EQ are you doing on the vocals?

I think the vocal recording is probably OK. What processing are you doing? I'm hearing some autotune in spots. I'm hearing a general buildup at around 800hz - 1Khz or so. Am I hearing a high end EQ roll off on the backing vocals? What EQ are you doing on the vocals?

Yeah I backed down the pitch correction to a more natural sound. That build up is probably on the master, I took out the 1k boost. No roll off on the highs, the back-ups were done with a Focusrite harmonics and tube enhancer, which I will not be using anymore, I just got a super DAW enhancer to use for that, which is also better because the enhancement wont be printed to the original tracks.

Do the backups sound too midrange-y ?

Hey man, do you have an update of your mix yet?

Just about, I still have to export the midi instruments before I send you the raw folder.

This clinic is so freakin helpful, I think; yeah this mix sounds good, then the regulars here point out 10 things I can make better!

Back