A new song I finished using the Famous Studio Projects C1 mic, Take a listen

If an interesting topic is being lost to OT shit, I won't bother to post, 'cause I don't bother posting on-topic post in a mess of off-topic bs. But that's just me.

When I registered for this site I thought I would be able to talk to some cool people about recording and all I do is get slamed on for my beliefs. All I did was post a simple song.

Why dont you guys give it a rest!

peace

If this how this place is I shall never post again.

how's it go?

-illegitimi non carborundum- (don't let the bastards grind you down)

Rich,
I liked the song, the vocals sounded great. Thanks for posting it.

Queue

Thanks guys I kinda get down about my music sometimes though. You know? Like I spend alot of time and effort and for what? I dont always feel that way but sometimes I do. I really appreciate all the coments though. It will help put me in the right direction. Thanks

oh and fela, the girl singing back ground vocals is very hot and very married. Cute little blonde. She sang in one of the bands I was playing in for a while so I asked her to do some backups.

What number wife is she?

The one thing that the Mormons had right and they just go and give it up.....

I'll apologize in advance for the poor taste of the preceding joke.

BTW....don't get down about the music, Tele. Lyrics and dogma aside, I have to admit your stuff is quite good, leaps and bounds above anything you'll hear from me for a while.

It could use a few tweeks, Fatten up that guitar, good song dude

I scored my c-1 today Alan Hyatt shipped one to a distributer here for an audition. took back my superlux and had the exact amount for It. So Im happy.:cool:

What's with the slammin' guys?

This is a good song, by a good musician who's obviously put in a lot of work. I'm not into organized religion, but really, there is no "in your face" stuff here- try growing up with "born-agains." This song is about people missing each other; the setting doesn't really matter. It's not really any different than a lot of pop music content. I've had a few Mormons show up at my door, usually on a below zero January night in Wisconsin- that takes some guts no matter what they believe. Good music man- keep it up!

Rich, I'm having a listen to "Wait". Really tasty stuff and your vocals sound much better than the last recording of yours I heard a few months ago.

BTW, you put out this really soulful stuff. Your conviction comes through in the music – but, then, I've told you that before.

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

So, I see a lot more of you folks are pickin' up C1's. I told ya' so. =8 )

the C1

Telefunken -

I like the sound of the vocals on that song (I also like Utah too-- great skiing up there in Park City).

But it's hard for me to tell to what extent the Meek pre colors the sound-- my understanding is that it adds quite a bit of color to the sound... so it's hard to tell what the mic itself really sounds like.

Hey Alan, or anyone else who would be a tad less biased -- are there any clips of the C1 up on the net with a more neutral micpre? Even better if you've got a/b comparisons up there.

Pete

Hey Dot and everyone else thanks for the feedback. Dot I own a pop filter and use it every time I lay down a vocal track.

Hey pete I know the Meek pre colors the sound a little, but I dont think it colors it to the piont that it changes the complete sound of the mic. I could be wrong. Alan?

peace

Telefunken,

I liked your song. About the use of the C-1 on the guitar... I am wondering if the strong point of the C-1 is really on vocals. I have noticed that the C-1 can be a bit "boomy" on acoustic guitar up close and that small changes in location can make big differences. It does seem to help the "presence" and "natural sound", though. So my question is "How did you settle on the C-1 position at three feet out and what other positions did you experiment with?" Thanks in advance.

JPS,

As far as micing acoustic with the C1. This is really the fist time I have used it on acoustic guitar, so I was just experimenting. I had my small condencer pretty close on the 12th fret and then I had been getting good results putting my Rode nt1 about 3 feet back over to my right a little. So, I though I would just try doing this with the C1. I have not close miced the guitar with the C1 and actually have a question about that if anyone has the answer. There is this Flamanco guitar player that has been working on a project at my place for about 8 mounths now, and I was wondering if I should try the C1 on his guitar as the main mic? His fav player is a guy named Otmar Liebert http://www.dropd.com/issue/8/OttmarLiebert/ who used a neumann u47 tube mic to record his flamenco guitar. So the choice of mics I have is the Oktava mc012, AT 4033(which we have been using with faily good results), Rode nt1, AT4050, and the C1. If anyone has any insight I would apreciate it.

Last edited:
pretty cool. that guitar playing the constant eight notes drove me nuts after a minute though. but it definitely reminds me of the sound of a 4033 or equivalent.

more fuel for the fire... and not that I have anything against mormons... but i had a best friend who went off on his mission, an incredibly gifted bass player/guitarist... and when he got back he could no longer play bass "morally", and he could no longer talk to any of his old friends, because we were "satanic." we were quite into bay area metal/funk at the time, bands like Primus, the Limbomaniacs, etc. I never understood that, but I haven't talked to him now in almost ten years, and not for lack of trying.

what I do understand is, though not mutually exclusive, people often use religious belief to damage or limit artistic creation, and the same for scientific discovery. so I don't think y'all can pile on Dolemite for expressing an opinion that is every bit as valid as any religious viewpoint you'll ever hear.

Hey guys,

First of all, the Meek mic-pre does not add any color. Hell, its green, that's color enough. :)

It is actaully a very warm clean mic pre on its own. It is the photo-optical compressor and MeQ (eq) that adds the "tube"(harmonic 2nd order), or coloration you are hearing, which by the way is adjustable, so you can use just a small amout if you want less flavor, but as a stand alone, with no eq or compressor, the mic pre is very good and transparent.

All the new Joemeek mic pres are changing over to the new CS (current sense) design. It is a good design that helps load any microphones impedance properly. The impedance matching is important, and the Viper, which is another impedance matching mic pre at almost $2.5K is getting a lot of attention in the high end world. You know impedance matching is something users are concerned about, especially in the high end studios.

Truth is, Joemeek was way ahead of the Viper on that issue with its VC7 a couple of years ago, but Joemeek has found a better and less costly method to do it. So if you care to read a little on the matter of impedance matching, go to: http://www.joemeek.net/press/csmode.htm

As for the C1 and acoustic guitar, I think the C1 is great on acoustic guitars. JD MARS, Pete Leoni, Ted Perlman, and Harvey have all said good things about it, and Telefunken's first attempt ain't bad at all. It certianly will work for Flamenco guitar, but just like your track Rich, you need to work with the mic, pre-amp and placement a little more.

The C1 will give you great results if you hone your skills a little more. In addition, I always back mic an acoustic guitar. It adds to the depth of the sound, but I prefer the C3 or T3 for acoustic guitar.

Speaking of the C3 and T3, with all the hoopla on the C1, there has not been a whole lot of talk on the C3 and T3, which (sales hype) has come down in price, while the RODE has gone up.

Look, I can go into the studio and do some demos with some very good mic pres. I have them all, including some Dan Alexander Telefunken mods, but I will tell you this, I am not a fan of these tests. They end up being done on mic pres most of you can't afford, not to be a prick, so what you end up with is a sound you think you like, but may not be able to afford. In addition, some of you may not like the style of the tracks, so you end up satisfying some, but not others.

In any case, I am off to the NAMM Show, but I wanted to touch base you guys and address some issues.

Back