A new song I finished using the Famous Studio Projects C1 mic, Take a listen

Alan Hyatt

Thanks for shipping the c1 to kansas city for me. now all of my friends want one, Ill inform your dude here when they are ready to order some.

It's hard to tell

There's too much compression on the vox. It sounds harsh, but I can't tell whether it's because of the mic or because of the compression.

I would like to hear it tracked with no processing / effects / EQ / compression / etc.

Mr. Lipp,

You opinion is duly noted, and like everyone elses opinions on that track, it is just that...an opinion. Sometimes people go for more compression as a sound or effect with wonderful results, and others perhaps like you, are looking for less. If something sounds boomy, it is most likely not the mic, but the placement of the mic that is at fault, and not neccessarily the compressor.

It may or may not have been what the singer was looking for, but if it was, and it sounded right to him, then its right. I mean no disrespect to you or others, but when these people hire you or me to produce their sound, then its our call, otherwise, if they like what they hear, then it is the right sound for them, no matter how much you or any other person disagrees. :)

Hey, with a user name like "Telefunken" you've gotta think his
music's good. This place is a lot of fun, especially after you get
used to the (goodnatured) ribbing-everbody's entitled to my
opinion kind of stuff.

Alan, there's a rumour, actually a thread at pro.rec.com about a
possible PRICE INCREASE! Of course this could be a dealer based
sort of issue or have as much truth as "Paul is dead".

Regardless, I've decided to cave in to peer pressure and buy a
C1 when it arrives. Originally, I planned on just using my low
sensitivity mikes, then I found a local studio where you can
rent the vocal room very cheaply (because I hate singing in
my walk-in closet!) for more important vocal tracking.

chessparov,

Actually, it is a price "DECREASE". it is on the C3 and T3. They have both been reduced $100.00 off the retail price. The C1 has not changed.

We did this to bring them in line with the RODE NTK's, and then found out that RODE has raised some prices, but we will stand by our price decrease.

With all the attention on the C1, we want to make sure the C3 and T3 don't fall behind. The C1 is a loss leader for us, we know the C1 is a good mic, but the C3 and T3 are great mics. We hope buyers will pay a little more attention to them.

Its interesting how nobody thought the meek to be the wrong pre for those vocals. Or at least using the compression was too aggressive especially noticeable in the way 7k and up comes forward unnaturally. Anyone?

Telefunken, about recording acoustic guitar with the C-1....

I sent my C-1 to my brother in LA. He has a small home studio, has put out 5 jazz guitar CDs over the last 15 years and he will be doing some tracking this week on vocals and guitar. He is going to check it out with his Avalon 737 preamp. On his last guitar project he used a Neuman TLM103 on some songs and a pair of small condenser KM184s on another. Both quite a bit more than the C-1. I'll let you know his opinions, or better yet, get him to post.

Rich,

Nice job.

It sounded a little flanged to me too, but no big deal.

The female vocal--was she using the same mic? I would bring her backups in a little earlier...just sparingly at first of course.

Good song. Can't wait to hear the final mix.

MC
adimage.gif

Interesting thread.
I liked the song. I liked the vox. How does the C1 compare to a Mashall V67?

Charger: I too had a friend who went on an LDS mission and came back and refused to pick up his Ricki and plug into his Vox AC30. It cool. He has a goal. In order to achieve that goal he wants to surround himself with people who will help him achieve that goal. No bad blood.

I stopped playing bass professionaly ( speed metal - think Testament/Exodus ) in 91 because I didn't want to be around the lifestyle that comes with being a touring metal band. Refuse to associate with my old band. They even sued me several years ago, trying to force me to play on their new album.

Dolemite: If a man doesn't live his religion and have it show forth in his daily life, such as his music, does he realy have a religion worth proclaiming?

and finally Telefunkin: Your wife doesn't mind having a former hot blonde former bandmate spending time with you making beautiful music together? :D

New Song

As far as never posting again, I think it would truly deni us all from listening to real talent.
I don't think it matters what the content is. We're all in this for the music aspect and I think we can all appreciate the time, talent and effort that went in to this piece.

I can only hope that when I post one of my songs, I don't get the same rashion of shit. Yes it's a free forum, but hopefully not to cortell the effort of others.

Pardon the spelling. Not one of my strong points.

Magoo

Back